Make this simple and flavorful Tomato, Bacon and Avocado Crostini recipe as an easy appetizer for your next dinner party.
When Jersey tomatoes are ready, I am one happy lady. I could eat these tomatoes every day. Add a little salt to a thick juicy slice of tomato and I am in heaven. But what could take things up a notch? Some of this balsamic glaze could. I get this balsamic glaze at Trader Joe's and love drizzling a little on my tomatoes. I just can't get enough of it and it is perfect on tomato crostini.
In between eating Jersey tomatoes for lunch everyday, I decided to come up with an appetizer using this yummy glaze and some Jersey tomatoes. What goes better than a ripe avocado and crispy bacon? This crostini recipe is easy to make and can be put together in minutes. It reminds me of a BLT but with avocado instead of lettuce. I like to pre cook bacon in the air fryer then have it ready in the frisge when I need it. Even though everything is better with bacon, it can be omitted for a vegetarian version.
What are Crostini?
Crostini are toasted pieces of bread that are drizzled with olive oil then topped with anything you'd like to put on them. They are a perfect appetizer. The toasted bread is a vehicle to add all sorts of toppings. The topping could be as simple as smashed avocado to make little avocado toasts or you could spread them with ricotta cheese and jam to make a sweet crostini. You can use a bit of creativity and come up with your own special toppings.
How To Make Crostini
- Slice a French baguette into 16 slices and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 10 minutes (turning one halfway through) or until the bread is toasted and crisp.
- Spread each slice with some mashed avocado.
- Combine 1 TBS of olive oil, tomatoes, bacon, garlic powder, salt and pepper and scoop ontop of the avocado spread.
- Drizzle each tomato crostini with balsamic glaze and serve.
More Crostini Toppings
The beauty of a crostini recipe is that you can get very creative with the toppings. Use what's fresh and select your favorite ingredients. Here are some of our favorite options.
- Marinated Mushrooms
- Italian Eggplant Relish
- Pimento Cheese with Smoked Gouda
- Healthier Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 10 Minute Roasted Red Pepper & Artichoke Dip via Souffle Bombay
If you like this avocado crostini recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Tomato, Bacon and Avocado Crostini
- ½ a French baguette I used whole wheat
- 3 TBS olive oil divided
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and mashed
- 2 to 3 TBS balsamic glaze or reduce balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the baguette in 16 slices. Brush with 2 TBS olive oil on both sides and line up on one to 2 baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, turning once or until bread is crisp.
- Mix together the remaining 1 TBS of olive oil, tomatoes, bacon, garlic powder and pepper. Add salt to taste.
- Spread a little avocado on each round of bread. Top with tomato mixture and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
First published July 2012 ; Updated June 2021