Make grilled and pan-seared steak taste even better with this homemade steak seasoning blend or dry rub. This tasty and simple steak seasoning is easy to make, stores well and makes a great gift. Use it with any cut of beef when you want more flavor.
Grilling season gets me giddy. I love to hear the sizzle of the meat as it hits the searing hot grates and I can't wait for that first juicy, tender bite of good steak.
While good-quality steak doesn't need heavy seasoning, this rub can enhance the flavor and make every bite noteworthy. This all-purpose homemade steak seasoning adds that kick that makes your mouth water and makes you swoon with pleasure.
This easy recipe for steak seasoning is ideal for steak but can be used on any cut of beef or chicken. Sprinkle on a little or sprinkle on a lot. Bring the steak to room temperature then grill, sear or roast the meat to perfection and enjoy.
For a real treat, I coat a filet mignon with this steak rub recipe. The blend of spices is easy to get at any grocery stores but will give the steak the best flavor and you might never go and order a tender steak at a restaurant again. Why spend big money when you can make your own steak at home?
- Sea Salt – You can also use kosher salt. Don't use table salt or your seasoning will be too salty.
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper – Fresh ground pepper is more flavorful than preground pepper.
- Granulated Garlic – Also called garlic powder, this adds an earthy, aromatic flavor.
- Paprika – You can substitute smoked paprika or chili powder for a smoky flavor.
- Dried Thyme – Thyme is earthy with a slight mint, slight lemon flavor.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Combine all seasonings in a small bowl. Mix together until all is well combined. Store in an air-tight container in a cool place for up to one month.
Hint: Paprika adds gorgeous color to your meat, but you can easily skip the paprika if you don't have any. For a flavor boost, try smoked paprika.
- Salt-Free - If you need to watch your salt intake you can reduce or eliminate the salt.
- Herbs - Make it extra herby by adding dried oregano or dried rosemary.
- Onion - Add a tablespoon of dried onion or onion powder for more flavor and aroma.
- Coffee – A tablespoon of instant coffee or espresso gives this rub a unique, bold flavor.
- Spicy – For a spicy rub and kick of flavor, add a bit of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
Store this simple steak seasoning in a mason jar or airtight container with a lid for up to 6 months. Store out of direct sunlight and avoid humidity for long shelf life when storing your seasoning.
- Make this easy steak seasoning with fresh herbs and spices. Replace jars of spices that are older than 6 months.
- This tasty seasoning can also be used on steak, beef, chicken wings or anywhere you'd like to boost flavor.
- Mix the seasoning blend with oil to make a marinade.
- Easily double or triple the recipe to make enough to give as gifts.
- Add the simple steak seasoning to mason jars or decorative jars with lids.
- It’s important to store this seasoning in an area without high humidity as this will cause it to clump or harden.
- Season meat 40 minutes to 24 hours before cooking.
- Top your steak with a pat of butter after grilling to really bring out the flavor.
Choosing the perfect cut of meat and seasoning it to perfection is only part of the process. Cooking the meat so it's tender and juicy is essential. Check out my other posts to learn how to grill a delicious flat iron steak or make the perfect grilled steak any time.
Of course, steak is a great choice for this simple steak seasoning but don't limit yourself. Sprinkle this seasoning on hamburgers and grill the perfect burger for your BBQ. You can also sprinkle on roasts and add it to your meatloaf mixture.
If you are feeling daring try adding the seasoning to chicken or fries. We even sometimes use this seasoning on this pork tenderloin. This rub is versatile and delicious.
Pat the steak dry with a paper towel. To season steak, sprinkle the seasoning on one side of the meat and gently rub with your fingers to coat the whole surface and help the seasoning to stick. Flip the meat and repeat on the other side. Whenever possible, season the meat 40 minutes to 24 hours in advance for amazing flavor. Cook according to your favorite method.
You want to season your steak but you don't want to overdo it. Begin by using 1 tablespoon of seasoning per pound of meat. You can always adjust to your preference.
If you like this homemade steak seasoning recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Simple Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all seasonings in a small bowl. Mix together until all is well combined. Store in an airtight sealed container in a cool place for up to one month.
- For extra flavor, add a tablespoon of onion powder or dried onion.
- If you don’t have paprika, you can skip it as it’s mostly for color more than anything. For a smoky flavor, try using smoked paprika instead.
- You can use other additions to make it more herby. Try a tablesppon of dried rosemary or oregano to the mixture.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.