Idaho Potatoes have always been a staple in our house. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy. When we first met, his basic food staples were meat and potatoes. There might have been a small salad or scant portion of broccoli on his plate too but his palate wasn't very adventurous. Luckily for me, things have changed over the last twenty years.
I love potatoes also but want lots of veggies on my plate too. I like to roast potatoes with meat and other veggies. But sometimes I just want to make one big salad with potatoes included. When I saw that the 2015 Idaho Potato Commission Recipe Contest was calling for entries, I decided to enter this potato and arugula salad recipe. They wanted a family style recipe and this is served in a great big bowl, perfect for sharing. I love how there is no spoilable ingredients like mayonnaise in the dressing so it is easy to serve if you are dining outside at a summer party without worrying about keeping it out too long. The crispy but creamy potatoes go well with the arugula which has a bite. There are olives in the salad that give the recipe that extra salt along with crispy prosciutto that adds crunch too. The pesto dressing just adds extra zip and makes all the ingredients work together.
This contest is in conjunction with the 2015 Food and Wine Conference which will be held July 17th -19th in Orlando, Florida. The conference will bring together bloggers, small business owners, winemakers, chefs, public relations professionals, the media, authors and brands together for a weekend of learning, eating, drinking, and socializing. I can't wait! You can still purchase a ticket if you would like to go.
Pan Roasted Potato & Arugula Salad with Pesto Vinaigrette & Crispy Prosciutto
- 4 medium to large size Yukon Gold Idaho potatoes washed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ Teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces thin sliced prosciutto chopped
- ¼ cup jarred pesto or homemade
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- juice from ½ a lemon
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- ¼ cup kalamata olives chopped
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Slice potatoes in half the long way and cut into 1 inch slices. Place in a single layer in a large skillet. Cover with water and cook on high heat. When the water comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Drain potatoes.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil (reserve 1 tablespoon oil for later) and butter to skillet. Turn heat to medium and add garlic and potatoes to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn gently and let cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes turn golden brown. Turn potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or until other sides brown. Remove from pan into a bowl.
- Keep heat at medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add prosciutto to pan and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until prosciutto is crispy.
- While potatoes and prosciutto cook, whisk together pesto, vinegar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together arugula, olives, and Parmesan cheese. Mix in half of the pesto dressing.
- In another bowl mix together the remaining dressing with the potatoes. Top the arugula salad with the potatoes and mix in the crispy prosciutto. Enjoy!