Asian Shrimp Noodle Bowls are perfect for a quick and simple takeout style dinner at home that delicious and filling.
Why Make Asian Noodle Bowls?
I love Asian noodle dishes and it seems like noodle and rice bowls are on every Asian restaurant menu so I decided to try making one myself. I wanted to make it as healthy as possible so I used whole wheat spaghetti. I also added some shrimp and as many veggies as I could fit in the bowl.
This is something I can make for lunch or dinner and it is super easy if I have a busy day or night. It's easy to make and I sometimes prefer making one over leaving the house to pick up take out.
The other nice thing about this dish is that it can be prepared in advance and heated later. I have been doing that a lot lately. There is nothing like preparing dinner at 4pm and then coming home at 7:30 to know dinner will be done in 3 minutes. Thank you microwave! I don't know what I would have done before that invention.
This noodle bowl had shrimp in it but chicken, pork or beef could also be substituted. Try different veggies and see what you like. I know this dinner will be around many times while I just vary a few ingredients.
Ingredients / Substitutions for Shrimp Noodle Bowls
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti - You can also use regular spaghetti, ramen, udon, soba, or your favorite Japanese noodle.
- Canola Oil - Sub in any light oil like sunflower, coconut or olive oil.
- Red Pepper - Red pepper is sweet and adds a nice color contrast to the peas and spinach.
- Frozen Peas - If your're not a fan of peas you can leave them out or add in your favorite veggies.
- Baby Spinach - Baby spinach is tender and mild but regular spinach is tasty too. Just don't use frozen spinach.
- Soy Ginger Dressing - You can usually find this in the Asias section of your grocery store. I look for a low fat/low sodium one.
- Shrimp - We love shrimp but this dish is also tasty with chicken, pork and beef.
- Sesame Seeds - White or black. Use what's in your pantry.
- Sriracha - Add a little for flavor or a lot for a spicy kick!
How to Make Japanese Noodle Bowls with Shrimp
- Cook and drain the spaghetti or your noodles of choice.
- Heat a skillet and saute the red pepper in oil until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and peas followed by the spinach and dressing.
- Let everything heat through and toss in the spaghetti until heated then divide between four bowls
- Add the shrimp to the pan until just cooked through and add to the noodle bowls.
- Top with sesame seeds and sriracha and serve.
More Asian Recipes
- Easy Wonton Soup Recipe - Made in 10 Minutes!
- Asian Scallops with Spinach (Pan Seared)
- Baked Asian Salmon with Mango Slaw
- Easy Shrimp Cashew Stir Fry via Slap Dash Mom
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken via My Organized Chaos
This dinner is healthier, just as quick and cheaper than take out. So WHY NOT make it for dinner?
If you like this recipe for Japanese Noodle Bowls with Shrimp, please give it a 5-star rating below!
Japanese Shrimp Noodle Bowls
- ½ lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 TBS canola oil
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 TBS chopped garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 9 oz fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup soy ginger dressing I used a low fat and low sodium one
- 1 lb cooked shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- Sriracha sauce to taste
- Cook the spaghetti according to box directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a large fry pan or a wok on medium heat. Cook pepper for 10 minutes or until wilted. Add garlic and peas. Cook until peas are heated through.
- Add spinach and dressing to the pan. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach in wilted and sauce is bubbling. Stir well.
- Mix in pasta and heat together for a few minutes. Distribute in 4 bowls.
- Add shrimp to pan. (There should be some leftover sauce in the bottom). Cook shrimp just until heated.
- Divide the shrimp and top the noodle mixture with it. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Season with Sriracha sauce if desired.
First Published May 2012 ; Last Updated March 2021
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to follow me on social media, you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter.
yes they are all the rage and its fabulous.
especially since the hot weather is coming, we can make huge batches to last the week.
Looks delicious! I'm all about easy these days.
We eat lots of dishes like this is the summertime. Healthy and packed with flavor, plus it's so pretty!
No more takeout! this sounds fabulous Lisa!
When I was home right after having the baby I became the queen of making dinner in the afternoon to be reheated later that evening.
Now that is my kind of dinner - it looks excellent!
these bowls are such a great summer dinner because you can use whatever is fresh at the moment.
Yum! THis looks and sounds amazing! I must give this a try soon!
oh this is just gorgeous! i love noodle bowls!
Oh, and I know... I love the microwave. I speed cook vegetables in there!
That looks amazing! So light too! 😀
Nice used Japonese rice noodles