Skinny mini. I have not heard that expression in a long time. As a kid, I remember being called that by my mother.
I remember those days well. Drinking as many milk shakes as I could. Eating a huge bowl of pasta, a few meatballs and then asking what was for dessert. They are long gone and I don’t want my nickname to turn into plump rump. So I made these Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas to have for breakfast every morning.
They are lightened up by using 2% milk cheese and adding veggies instead of meat. I also used 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites instead of 12 eggs. By using less yolks, the fat content is lowered but you still get the deep yellow color and richness rather than using all egg whites.
I have one word of advice. Serve these with a small spoon of sour cream and some salsa on the side. I used light sour cream and it really made these frittatas have a rich taste.
I made this recipe with frozen peppers and corn. I like using the frozen peppers because they seem almost like they are partially cooked. I also defrost them along with the corn to make sure the frittatas are not watery. If you want to use fresh peppers, go ahead. Chop them really fine though as they may be a little more crunchy then the frozen kind.
This recipe makes a dozen egg puffs but they are perfect to keep in the fridge for a few days. They can be heated in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds and your breakfast is ready. There are no excuses for not eating a healthy breakfast in the morning. I have some fruit on the side and I am ready to go.
- Cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup frozen sweet peppers, defrosted (or fresh chopped fine)
- ¾ cup frozen corn, defrosted (canned is fine also)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce ( more/ less depending on how much you like)
- ½ cup shredded 2% milk Mexican cheese (cheddar can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a non stick muffin tin with cooking spray. Make sure every inch of the cups are coated.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Mix in salt, onion powder, hot sauce, peppers, corn and cheese.
- Divide egg mixture amongst the 12 cups. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until eggs are puffy and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for five to 10 minutes. Run a plastic knife around each cup to loosen eggs. Carefully remove with a plastic spatula.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
- Store leftovers wrapped in the fridge. Frittatas can be reheated in microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.