Lancaster Central Market

by jerseygirl on March 29, 2013 · 8 comments

marketThis week was spring break for the kiddos so we decided to take a little trip to Hershey, PA.  We were headed to the sweetest place on earth to see WWE Smackdown the first night we were there. Wrestling and chocolate? What could be better for my two kids?

I was making a bit of a sacrifice by sitting through 3 1/2 hours of watching barbaric men grapple, slap and throw each other around a  ring.  But hey, I was doing it to see the big smiles on my kids (and husband’s) faces.  Don’t tell anyone that i told you this, but it was very entertaining. The other great thing is that Lancaster Central Market is on the way there and I, by no means, felt guilty making the family look at fresh produce, meat and cheese for an hour or two.

Lancaster Central Market is the country’s oldest farmers market. It is in the middle of Pennsylvania’s Amish country and carries things such as preserves, produce, smoked meats, poultry, cheeses, candy, bread, flowers, organic products and many other goodies. It is in a red brick building which is over 120 years old.  The market is filled with plenty of food as well as local character.

clyde weaver

We tried many things and some of our favorites were the smoked meats and cheeses from S. Clyde Weaver.

fudge sign

My son loved the fudge from Pa Fudge Company. It was rich and delicious.

tea bar

My daughter loved having a cup of tea at Pureblend Tea.

thoms

We bought a few loaves of bread from Thom’s Bread. So fresh with no preservatives.

bacon donut

I think the best part of the day was trying a bacon covered long John donut from Shady Maple.  What could be better than a maple frosted donut with crispy bacon on it?

If you get a chance to visit this historic market, just do it!  If you get a chance to go to WWE Wrestling, think about it first…haha.

vanillasugarblog March 29, 2013 at 8:08 pm

oh lisa I love when you do these!!

Kate March 30, 2013 at 12:01 am

We used to go to Hershey every year when I was a kid growing up. But I never went to the market!

claudia@what's Cookin italian Style Cuisine March 30, 2013 at 8:02 am

I loved going these when I lived in Upstate one of mine and the kids favorite places to visit. I was only disappointed that the chocolate was no less expensive there than anywhere else I figured it would be a perk!
Your photos are fabulous! Love that market…

Happy Easter thanks for jogging those memories!

Mary@One Perfect Bite March 30, 2013 at 9:12 am

I was with you every step of the way until I saw the bacon topped donut. That was a first for me :-). It sounds like you had a great family outing. I hope you have a terrific holiday weekend. Hugs and blessings… Mary

Karen Harris March 30, 2013 at 10:20 am

I have to say that even sitting through a couple of hours of men throwing each other around would be worth it for even one hour at the market. OMG, that bacon covered doughnut looks sooooo good!

Danielle March 31, 2013 at 7:34 pm

These pictures are GORGEOUS…and I am so jealous! This looks like such a cool market to hang out at for the day. I’m hoping that once the weather gets a little nicer, we can start taking more trips to local places like these :)

Ramona April 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

oh my goodness….I want to go there now.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl April 13, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Thank you for sharing this post. I’m from this area and going to the Amish markets was a weekly event for me and my family. We would get sweets, jams, produce – always the best. Thanks for the smile!