I have been a little MIA lately to a very busy travel baseball schedule. It was seven straight nights of games in the 90 plus degree heat and I am happy to say that my son’s U10 team has made it to the MidAtlantic Regionals.It’s been great for the boys but not so great for our dinner schedule. Our dinners have consisted of burgers, hoagies, fried appetizers and even a few late night drive thru trips to McDonalds. The drive thru adventures at 10pm and beyond have been giving me big time brownie points with my kids but it’s time to take a little healthy food break. We have a few days off from the mayhem so I’m trying to serve up some fresh veggies, more salads and plenty of local produce.
Jersey tomatoes are ready and I am one happy lady. I could eat these tomatoes every day. Add a little salt to a thick juicy slice of tomato and I am in heaven. But what could take things up a notch? Some of this balsamic glaze could. I found this awesome glaze at Trader Joe’s and love drizzling a little on my tomatoes. I just can’t get enough of it.
In between eating Jersey tomatoes for lunch everyday, I decided to come up with an appetizer using this yummy glaze and some Jersey tomatoes. What goes better than a ripe avocado and crispy bacon? It is easy to make and can be put together in minutes. It reminds me of a BLT but with avocado instead of lettuce. Even though everything is better with bacon, it can be omitted for a vegetarian version.
The one thing I should have added to this appetizer was fresh herbs. I was in a hurry and forgot about the lush parsley and huge basil plants sitting in my garden. Next time I will add some chopped basil to the tomato and bacon mixture.
I have plenty more fresh produce recipes coming this summer!
- ½ a French baguette (I used whole wheat)
- 3 TBS olive oil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
- 2 to 3 TBS balsamic glaze or reduce balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice the baguette in 16 slices. Brush with 2 TBS olive oil on both sides and line up on one to 2 baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, turning once or until bread is crisp.
- Mix together the remaining 1 TBS of olive oil, tomatoes, bacon, garlic powder and pepper. Add salt to taste.
- Spread a little avocado on each round of bread. Top with tomato mixture and drizzle with balsamic glaze.