It’s healthy breakfast time!

by jerseygirl on November 7, 2008 · 40 comments

I will confess that I rarely eat breakfast early in the morning. I know, I know. It is the most important meal. If I am going to the gym or for a run, I will come home later and eat something around 10 or 11 am. I love eggs and all the nice hot breakfast foods but I don’t have time to make them in the morning. Cereal and toast bore me so I usually pick up a piece of fruit or have a cup of yogurt. Sometimes, I just move right to an early lunch.

Yesterday morning, the kids were off from school and my son had a dermatologist appointment. I skipped breakfast, thinking I would eat something after the appointment. That was a mistake and from now on, I am eating breakfast!

At the appointment, my son needed to get some skin cut from his knee. This involved a small needle and 2 stitches. He was very brave about it and wanted to watch the doctor stitch up his knee. As he was about to get up from the chair, he started talking like he was a little drunk and said he was dizzy. The doctor and I thought he was fooling around but all of a sudden he started to fall down and tremble. I went into a panic and thought it was an allergic reaction to the medicine in the needle. The doctor had him lie down with his feet up. He said my son was fine and just a little woozy from seeing the stitching procedure. My son received a piece of candy and after a few minutes was ready to go.

We were on our way down the hallway and all of a sudden I felt as if I was going to pass out. The nurse saw me and now I was the patient lying down. The doctor came back and asked what I had eaten for breakfast. When he found out I didn’t eat, he said to the kids, “This is why breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. So picture this. I’m lying down, feet straight in the air, at a dermatologist’s office. My two kids (plus one other I’m babysitting for the day) are looking at me while the doctor is offering me some candy. Pretty embarrassing, wouldn’t you say? The little guy had an excuse since he had his knee split open. But the mom? What’s her excuse? My neighbor’s son had a good story to tell his parents and we all left with a Twizzler.

The sight of my six year old almost passing out might of had something to do with it. But it would have made things better if I had something in my stomach. A lesson was learned and now I will eat everyday before I leave the house.

So I made these mini crustless quiches which are a great start to your morning. They are filled with low fat yogurt, eggs and veggies. I paired them with fruit and there will be no more fainting at our house. They can be made the night before and popped in the microwave in the morning.

Do you have an embarrassing story? Feel free to post it in the comment section so we can all get a good laugh. Also, still searching for Carol Ann, winner of my cookbook giveaway. Carol, please email me your email address. Have a great weekend!

Spicy Spinach Quiche Cups

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup low fat plain yogurt
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded, cored and minced
1 1/2 cups frozen spinach
1 tsp Italian or Greek seasoning
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together eggs, yogurt and salt. Set aside. In a small frying pan, heat canola oil on medium and cook onions for 5 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add jalapeno, spinach and seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes or until mixture is cooked well. Add spinach mixture to the egg mixture and stir in feta cheese. Mix well. Heavily spray 8 muffin tins with cooking spray. Fill each muffin tin with egg mixture. Bake for 19 to 22 minutes or until quiches are golden. Cool before carefully removing from the pan.
post signature

Stacey Snacks November 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm

I made individual quiches too!
with broccoli and cheddar in muffin tins! How weird! Great minds think alike!
I served them w/ my trout apple salad for the election party.
Yummy

Bridgett November 7, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I never eat breakfast, except for the occasional cup of coffee, but these little gems look delicious. They would definitely change your mind on eating breakfast more often.

Clumbsy Cookie November 7, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Oh poor Lisa and poor Lisa’s son! I hope you’re both feeling better! I allways have to do eat breakfast, or those kind of things would happen to me! The little quiches are adorable!

Mrs. L November 7, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Of course I have some embarrassing moments, and maybe some day I’ll come clean and tell them πŸ™‚ But yeah, breakfast….hard for me because I’m not a morning person but it really does make a difference in my day if I don’t wait until noon for my first meal. Glad both you and your son are better.

Beth November 7, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Oh no – you know to eat breakie from now on

Barbara Bakes November 7, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I’m a faithful breakfast eater. It’s a must for me. But I can relate to getting light headed. When my son got stitches I thought I was going to pass out. Maybe we were just holding our breath for them!

Reeni November 7, 2008 at 8:13 pm

I’m glad you were both OK. Your spinach quiche looks really good and nice and healthy!

Jo November 7, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Those look wonderful! Yum. I am so glad you were ok! Scary!

Camilla November 7, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Hi LIsa,

I am so going to make these! They look fantastic.

I love the new look of your blog!

Debbie November 7, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Your little quiches look so good! I cannot miss breakfast. I am miserable if I don’t eat. Don’t even come near me until I eat and have coffee!! Your story had me cracking up. Glad it all turned out okay.

Mary November 8, 2008 at 10:26 am

Lisa, these really look fantastic. What a great idea.

Wservir November 8, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

OctΓ‘vio

Tanya November 8, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Those look cute and yummy too. You need to eat breakfast girl! I eat mine everyday at 6:30 am. I can’t wait until a later time!

Rosie November 8, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Oh no poor you and your son! Your little quiches look very scrummy Lisa.

Rosie x

We Are Never Full November 8, 2008 at 4:59 pm

very cute! good idea – maybe a way to get picky eaters to eat their breakfast? prob. is, i’d prob. eat about 4 if they are ‘cookie sized’!

Adam November 8, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Well at least everyone got a piece of candy, right? I thank Tony the Tiger and the Quaker Man for helping me with bfast growing up πŸ™‚

Embarrassing story? Oh geez, can you narrow it down?

How about being 14-18 and being asked the dreaded “sexually active” question by your doctor. I’m always like “you mean like right now?” πŸ™‚

Lori November 8, 2008 at 5:53 pm

I’m also not a cereal or toast type person. I love savory type breakfasts…for dinner! πŸ™‚

Patsyk November 8, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I always eat breakfast, but need to start eating something with protein in it. These look perfect!

Tracy November 8, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Lisa, don’t feel bad… I had a similar thing happen to me when my husband had his first colonoscopy. I was pregnant and his appointment was early. At lunchtime I started feeling a little lightheaded but didn’t want to leave the waiting room. Then his doc came and told me my husband’s diagnosis and showed me pictures of his colon! My ears started to ring … you know the rest. When my husband came out of anesthesia, who was in the next recovery chair with her feet up drinking juice? ME! I’ve never heard the end of it.

Cynthia November 8, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Lisa, have I told you how much I love your template?

And what a great idea for breakfast. The grapes remind me of some really sweet ones I bought from a Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago.

That Girl November 8, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I love things that come out already portioned!

Theresa November 9, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I can’t do without breakfast. These look great!

Aggie November 9, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Oh Lisa, your poor little man and poor you!! I don’t make it very long without breakfast, I always fee very faint and dizzy by mid morning…

I have to make these! I’ve been craving a frittata latlely…I love how these are little cups,will be trying these for sure!

Sara November 9, 2008 at 6:33 pm

These look great, eggs are definitely my favorite breakfast food.

Bunny November 9, 2008 at 11:45 pm

I’m a breakfast person, I wake up hungry, these look so good!!

Lucy November 9, 2008 at 11:56 pm

The quiches look wonderful and I can't eat a thing before 10 am… coffee is a must before leaving for work though.

I had a similar experience in a hospital after seeing my brother after surgery… after I left his room and walking down the hallway, passed out cold & ended up in the emergency room.

EAT! November 10, 2008 at 8:46 am

I love having these little types of breakfasts in my fridge. I also usually don’t eat beakfast until later so these would be great to have on hand.

Megan November 10, 2008 at 9:44 am

Funny story! πŸ™‚ These look not only tasty but a fast (portable)breakfast on the run.

Robin Sue November 10, 2008 at 10:13 am

These look soooo good. I love baby quiches!

Maris November 10, 2008 at 11:50 am

What a GREAT idea! I’ve been looking for a quick egg breakfast lately and to be honest, I don’t have the energy or time in the morning to fuss with frying pans. I never clean up right away and then I come home to dishes – yuck. But this looks so easy!! And quiche always reheats well, so the individual muffin tins are a great idea. I love spinach quiche…thanks for posting!

Allie November 10, 2008 at 12:27 pm

For some reason I have never been a “Quiche” fan. I don’t know what it is about it. Maybe if I make it myself it’s might change my mind.

kat November 10, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Oh I used to pass out all the time including once across the petals of the organ at church! I too now have breakfast every morning

Yasmeen November 10, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Lisa,Its good know you realized the importance of good breakfast.Hugs to your brave li’l one who went thro the painful procedure.
I’m sure eating such healthy quiches for breakfast will make one feel good and have an energetic start of the day.For breakfast I usually make muffins with fruits of the season and my son also packs those for lunch .your cute quiches look great for lunch box,I’m gonna try it:)
Not so long ago when in college, I was notorious for missing breakfast.And one unfortunate day embarrassed myself by fainting in middle of an experiment in the chemistry lab!

Mamasoo November 10, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Hi Lisa-
These look delish! Substitute soy yogurt for regular, and I’m good to go!

Jan November 10, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I confess, I never eat breakfast, and I’m sure it would take a wake up call like yours to get me started.

Your quiches look great though, I could probably manage one about 11 am. πŸ™‚

Liz November 11, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I couldn’t get through the day without breakfast AND a mid-morning snack. I love your mini quiche idea. I will definitely try it. I think too much spinach would overwhelm my boys, so I like how you don’t use too much. Gotta love those eggs … they’re so nutritious!

Leslie November 11, 2008 at 11:38 pm

OMG..Thats crazy!
Now I guess you will eat your breakfast!! πŸ™‚

Meg November 12, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Mini quiches are awesome. These look like they are so full of flavor! Yum!

Claire November 15, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Mmmm….looks great!

Paula November 17, 2008 at 1:01 am

Oh wow, you guys had quite a morning! Thank goodness, though, that you were still in the building and not in the parking lot! Your little breakfast muffins are awesome! I love that you used jalapenos. This looks way better than a Twizzler! YUM!