Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas are the perfect breakfast. Once you try these, you'll make them once a week!
Skinny mini. I have not heard that expression in a long time. My mom always called me that as a kid however I'm not sure the name is fitting anymore.
I remember those days well. Drinking as many milk shakes as I could. Eating a huge bowl of pasta, a few meatballs and then asking what was for dessert. They are long gone and I don't want my nickname to turn into plump rump. So I made these Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas to have for breakfast every morning.
What makes this recipe skinny?
2% milk cheese and the extra veggies lighten this recipe up and make it super healthy. I also used 6 whole eggs and 6 egg whites instead of 12 eggs. The fat content is lowered by using less yolks, but you still get the deep yellow color and richness rather than using all egg whites. The Incredible Egg is so good and good for you!
What should you serve with these Mini Frittatas?
I have one word of advice. Serve these Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas with a small spoon of sour cream and some salsa on the side. Just a bit of sour cream will really made these frittatas have a rich taste.
This mini frittata recipe uses frozen peppers and corn . I like using the frozen peppers because they seem almost like they are partially cooked. I also defrost them along with the corn to make sure the frittatas are not watery. If you want to use fresh peppers, go ahead. Chop them really fine though as they may be a little more crunchy then the frozen kind.
Can you reheat these egg puffs?
This recipe makes a dozen mini frittatas but they are perfect to keep in the fridge for a few days. The microwave heats up your egg puffs for 30 to 60 seconds and your breakfast is ready. There are no excuses for not eating a healthy breakfast in the morning. I have some fruit salad on the side and I am ready to go. We can always splurge and have waffles on the weekends.
Skinny Mini Mexican Frittatas
- Cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup frozen sweet peppers defrosted (or fresh chopped fine)
- ¾ cup frozen corn defrosted (canned is fine also)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce more/ less depending on how much you like
- ½ cup shredded 2% milk Mexican cheese cheddar can be substituted
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- sour cream and salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a non stick muffin tin with cooking spray. Make sure every inch of the cups are coated.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites. Mix in salt, onion powder, hot sauce, peppers, corn and cheese.
- Divide egg mixture amongst the 12 cups. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until eggs are puffy and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for five to 10 minutes. Run a plastic knife around each cup to loosen eggs. Carefully remove with a plastic spatula.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side.
- Store leftovers wrapped in the fridge. Frittatas can be reheated in microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.