This breakfast is the bomb! It was so good it practically made me cry. When the husband saw what I was making, he looked a little leary. He is not a huge French toast man but loved this once he tasted it. This probably would even be good as a dessert topped with a few scoops of ice cream. And the Nutella syrup just raised it to another level. The sad thing is this recipe almost didn't even make it to the table. I had the French toast idea swirling around in my brain but when I went into the fridge, there was only one egg left. Lucky for me Thrive Food Storage had sent me some eggs to try and this was the perfect opportunity. These are dried eggs that can be stored for ages and are so convenient for times when you run out of fresh eggs or those times when you come home from vacation and your fridge is empty. All I needed to do is mix the powder with water and they were ready to use in my French toast. I do have one warning. Don't look at these pictures before you have had breakfast! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Coconut Pecan French Toast with Nutella Syrup
A decadent French toast perfect for a brunch gathering.
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup flaked coconut plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped pecan halves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 slices white or wheat bread
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 TBS Nutella chocolate hazlenut spread
- In a large shallow bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. In another bowl, mix together the coconut, pecans and cinnamon. Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture. Then dip into the coconut mixture. Place slices on a well oiled skillet or griddle on medium heat. Cook both sides for a few minutes or until the egg is set, being careful not to scorch the coconut and pecans. While bread is cooking mix together the syrup with the Nutella. Serve the French toast with the syrup over it and sprinkle with extra coconut. Makes 3 servings.
Recipe can easily be doubled.