It is restaurant week in Philadelphia for two weeks so I have been living the good life and getting some extra lunches in when I can. The other day, a friend and I went to FARMmiCiA and I loved all the fresh local food they had. I ordered a roasted beet and fennel salad which was delicious. So I decided to come home this week and make something similar. I slightly changed the citrus dressing and used some arugula instead of other greens. It was so good that I might be eating this salad for lunch two times a week.
I am a lazy beet lover. I love beets but don’t like to cook them. The color of beets scares me as I don’t want my new kitchen’s counter tops looking purple. But this is not a problem as Trader Joe’s sells wonderful already cooked and peeled beets in a vacuum pack. I buy these all the time and there is little mess. So this salad is very easy to put together. If you want to roast your own beets, go to town but canned beets would also work.
The balsamic honey dressing gives the salad a nice zing. I made some extra to have in the fridge as it’s great on a garden salad too.
Beets are one of my top fall foods along with apples, butternut squash and Concord grapes. What are some of your favorite fall produce?
- 4 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS white balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBS water
- 2 TBS honey
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 cups sliced cooked beets
- ¼ cup fennel, shaved or grated
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, water and honey. Set aside.
- Arrange the arugula on a large deep plate. Top with the beets and fennel.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad. Use as much or as little as you would like.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.