Good Eats in New York City

by jerseygirl on May 18, 2012 · 19 comments

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING MATERIAL WILL MAKE YOU VERY HUNGRY

New York City has to be one of my favorite food cities. There is so much to eat and you can get anything at any time. Want Chinese at 2am? No problem. Want antipasto at 10am?  That’s not a problem either. If you are willing to walk, take  a cab or subway, you can find whatever you want to eat at all times.

Last month, my family and I had a nice little two night getaway to Manhattan.  We took the kids to the Easter parade , Toys R Us and a show and then it was time to eat. I had no problem making them walk miles to get food that I was craving.  They had just purchased $35 dollars worth of Laffy Taffy from Toys R Us so they didn’t complain too much.

Here is some of the glorious food we had on our trip.

First up is a pastrami sandwich from Sarge’s Deli. Now this is a sandwich. This deli is open 24 hours a day. Didn’t I tell you that you could get any food at all times? Love this place and it wasn’t as pricey as some of the more famous NYC delis.

We had to try some cheese places. First we went to The East Village Cheese Shop. Everything in the store was a good bargain. I didn’t realize you could get cheese at such a great price in NYC.

Next up was Murray’s Cheese Shop. Not only did they have so many kids of cheeses but their antipasto bar and oil and balsamic vinegars were fabulous too.

You can not be in NYC without having a good latte and some dessert. So we made a trip to Pasticceria Rocco. I am still dreaming about the homemade cannoli and eclairs.

To save one of the best for last, my husband and I had the seven course tasting menu at Craft New York. This might have been the best dinner I have ever had.  It started with a citrus asparagus dish with pistachios and just kept getting better.   The restaurant was dimly lit making for great ambiance but it didn’t do justice to my pictures. So I’ll show you the citrus asparagus dish and the scallops with Pancetta, fresh fava beans and chick peas. Our dinner was a little pricier than what we are used to but worth every penny. I am still dreaming about going back!

ciaochowlinda May 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm

All yummy places to eat. I am craving one of cannoli from Rocco’s. I’m glad to see it’s still in business, since that other bakery nearby on Bleeker closed. I need to get to Craft for some of those scallops and the asparagus dish. Your pix are better than you think.

Debbie May 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I want the dessert on the bottom row, far right….whatever it is, it looks great.

claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine May 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Now thats a great place to eat in NY!!!!

Christine @ Fresh Local and Best May 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

This is a fabulous trip to New York. I’m glad to hear that you liked Craft, I’ve been meaning to visit the restaurant.

Sparkly Jules May 19, 2012 at 1:05 am

OMG. I have been dying to go to Manhattan for most of my adult life. I will get there!! For that corned beef sandwich if nothing else. Oy Vay!!!

SJ

Carrie's Experimental Kitchen May 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

What a great time you had in the city and a fabulous post Lisa. I’ll have to try some of these next time I’m in. There are just so many wonderful places to go, it’s hard to pick where to go next. :)

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) May 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

Sigh…no trip to New York this year, but maybe next! I’ll have to remember Sarge’s…our hotel in October was across from Carnegie Deli, so we did takeout from there and loved it! Next time, make sure to try my favorite 1-2 combo: doughnuts at Doughnut Plant, then a 10-minute walk into Chinatown for dumplings at Vanessa’s Dumpling House. Best dumplings I’ve ever had. Now I want to visit Murray’s!!

Lea Ann May 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’ve never been to New York City …. on my list. And when I finally do go, how will I ever pick and choose food locations?

Tracy May 19, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the recommendations! In the early stages of planning a trip there next summer — will keep these spots in mind.

Kate May 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I love New York for the food also.

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet May 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

You’re right, this did make me hungry! Yum!

Lauren May 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Hey Lisa! I just did a NYC food trip too! I’ll have to hit some of your places next time – PS. food swap was a hit :) http://foodieinflight.blogspot.com/2012/05/nyc-food-frenzy-v20.html

Liz May 21, 2012 at 7:46 am

I MUST get to NYC soon…and I will make sure I hit all these fabulous spots!!!

Ramona May 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

Oh man, how did you ever decide!

looks wonderful.

Lori @ RecipeGirl May 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Oh, fun- we’ll be in NYC this summer for a couple of nights. That sandwich looks awesome! I’d love to find a great Jewish deli! I’ve heard of that cheese place. So many treasures there!

Angela May 23, 2012 at 9:41 am

Rocco’s is now officially on my “must try” list. Looks like it was a delicious trip!

Gina May 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

Great post! My husband and I frequent NYC quite often and will put some of these places on our next itinerary:) Eataly is one of our favs, have you been there yet?

traduction September 1, 2012 at 8:11 am

You were right, I got hungry!