Eataly in New York

by jerseygirl on April 19, 2012 · 16 comments

Have you eaten dinner yet? I hope so.  After you look at these pictures, you will be very hungry!

Last week we were in New York City and one of the places I visited was Eataly. This sprawling market is on 5th Avenue and 23rd Street.  The 50,000 square foot space has multiple restaurants, a pizzeria, a rooftop beer garden and microbrewery. There is also a cooking school and retail sections where you can buy anything from dried pasta to sardines to Italian housewares to fresh Italian cheeses. Eataly is an Italian food lovers dream. I could have spent hours in the place even though my first visit was a bit overwhelming. There was so much to look at, I wasn’t sure what to eat or where to shop first. The nice thing was that we arrived at 10:30  in the morning so the lunch crowds hadn’t  arrived yet.

The minute the kids’ eyes hit the gelato counters, they had to have some. Since we were on vacation, I let them have some before lunch. OK, I’n not going to lie. I had some myself. So what, that we had dessert first. That’s what Eataly and vacation does to you. I split the ricotta almond gelato with my husband. My son stuck with his usual chocolate gelato and my daughter picked raspberry sorbetto. It was delicious.

Next we moved on to looking at all the different foods at the market. It’s hard to choose something when you see so many great things. This time was more of a window shopping visit. Next time I go, I’m buying out the place. Feast your eyes on what we saw.

All types of produce from mushrooms to oranges to peppers could be found here.

Any type of cheese you want!

Yes, he cuts the cheese

Making fresh mozzarella. Gloves need to be worn because that water is hot.

A dream for an Italian meat lover.

My favorite home made ravioli.

I wish I owned a pizza oven like this. My son was fascinated by it.

I've never seen this many kinds of sardines and anchovies.

A panini with Parma ham, fresh ricotta and arugula. Mmmmnn!

claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine April 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm

You really know how to hurt a girl miss my New York food always thanks for sharing this put a smile on my face!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) April 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

So so so jealous…wanted to hit Eataly during our trip last October, but it was a quick trip and we ran out of time. Next time for sure…and maybe you can come meet me for some shopping and gelato, Lisa! I’ll be back to NY for sure…most likely NEXT year!

patsy April 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’ve been dying to go there! We were in the city on Sunday but were in Midtown with tickets to a show, so it wasn’t meant to be… after those pictures, I’m definitely making it a priority next time we head into the city! A foodlover’s dream!

Melanie @ Nutritious Eats April 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I adore NYC restaurants…so jealous you live relatively close. I used to go a lot back in my grad school days in Boston. I haven’t been back since then- almost 10 years! So sad. Need to make a trip very soon.

vanillasugarblog April 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

i am dying to go there!
the gelato will be my favorite hangout, i just know it

Angela April 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I. Am. So. Jealous. Especially of the ricotta-almond gelato–I need to try to make that…

Danielle D'Ambrosio April 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm

OMG I visited Eataly for the first time a few weeks ago and was also completely overwhelmed! Its too easy to get to from my office…which could be a terribly bad thing (or great, depending on if you’re my budget groaning, or my boyfriend eating the food :)). Looks incredible–and I love that your family had dessert first. Our family would do that on vacations too sometimes (we STILL talk about them!).

Lea Ann April 20, 2012 at 7:30 am

This is such a coincidence, yesterday I took a client to lunch and he had just returned from Eatily. I listened to about an hours rundown on the place and was hanging on every word. It sounds wonderful and now with your photos I can visualize all of this. I’m dying to go there …. one of these days. :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective April 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

What a cool shop!!

Kate April 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

I am dying to visit Eataly.

DessertForTwo April 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

Wow! I’m not that crazy about Italian food, but I still really really want to go to Eataly some day! :)

Pam April 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

You were right… I am so hungry after looking at all of this amazing food!

Alison April 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Looks like I need to take a trip to NYC so I can go here! Would love some fresh mozzarella!

Robin April 22, 2012 at 8:37 am

GASP! The food in NYC is soooo good. The next time I’m down there (July), I think I need to check this place out.

John April 23, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Now I have another person to be jealous about regarding Eataly. My Lisa’s been to Eataly, too.

Jeanette April 25, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’ve been wanting to visit Eataly – thanks for giving us a virtual tour!