Garden State Italian Turkey Chili

by jerseygirl on September 15, 2009 · 18 comments

I am so sad that the summer has come to an end. Not only our beach days are over and our swim club is closed, but all the wonderful fruits and vegetables will be disappearing  from the farmers market. BOO HOO! One of my favorite parts of summer is all the fresh produce our garden state brings.

I love meals that can be made and reheated at the drop of a dime. With our crazy schedule, some nights dinner time is different for everyone in the house. So chili is a great meal to have in the fridge and I can also make it in big batches to be frozen. Today, as I was looking through the produce draw, I came across a few leftover items from the garden and farmers market. And before I knew it, this Jersey Girl Italian Turkey Chili  was born. Leftover tomatoes, squash, fresh basil and eggplant all went in the pot. Some white wine, tomato sauce, fresh basil and garbanzo beans completed the chili to make more than a delicious meal. Even the husband, who is by no means a veggie man, liked it. I made a big batch so now dinner is already ready for another night this week.

I finally got around to using Twitter so if you would like to follow me, click here. It’s a really neat thing!

Jersey Girl Italian Turkey Chili
1 TBS olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 small eggplant, skinned and chopped
1 medium sized yellow or green squash, chopped
3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
handful fresh basil, chopped
salt and crushed red pepper to taste
In a dutch oven, heat oil on medium high and brown ground turkey. Add eggplant, squash, tomatoes, and garlic to pan. Reduce heat to medium and stir. Add white wine, beans, sauce sugar, onion powder and italian seasoning. Combine well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add basil, salt and pepper to taste and cook for another 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
post signature

Mary September 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I really love meals that extend a small amount of meat with vegetables to make something really special. This is a very nice recipe, Lisa.

Annie September 15, 2009 at 10:48 pm

The chili looks amazing. I am sad that summer is coming to an end too. I will miss all the fresh veggies from the local farms.
I can't believe I still haven't gotten one red tomato yet. All green. I will have to start frying them I guess. ;)

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco September 16, 2009 at 12:08 am

Lisa just made chili recently as well. We must be on the same wavelength or something. – John

kat September 16, 2009 at 9:56 am

Yum, I can't wait for chili season to kick in here. We are really missing this type of cool weather food.

That Girl September 16, 2009 at 10:24 am

I am SO excited for chili season!

The Food Hunter September 16, 2009 at 11:53 am

This sounds yummy! I'm ready for the cooler weather to set in here in Phoenix.

Bill Medifast September 16, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Glad to see I am not the only one with Chili on the brain. Last night was so chilly I actually pulled out my winter jacket for my evening walk. Now just need to get the chili going. Great idea on the turkey!

- Bill

Jen_from_NJ September 16, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Your chili looks really good! Perfect for this time of year. Oh how I will miss the farmers' markets!

Maria September 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm

I am ready for chili/soup season! Love all the veggies!

Pam September 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I am actually happy summer to be over – I love fall. I will be sad to see all of the summer vegetables gone.

This turkey chili looks hearty and tasty.

Katrina September 16, 2009 at 11:57 pm

That chili looks and sounds great!
I'm bummed about all the good things disappearing from the farmer's market, too!

Paula September 17, 2009 at 2:20 am

Oh this sounds great, Lisa! I really like the veggies you used, and your timing is perfect with the cold weather coming. My youngest loves chili, so she'll really enjoy this! YUM!

teresa September 17, 2009 at 11:34 am

i love all the veggies you put in this, it looks wonderful!

Bridgett September 17, 2009 at 11:39 am

Looks hearty and comforting!

Aggie September 17, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I love making extra chili and freezing it. This looks wonderful Lisa!! I picked up some peaches from NJ at the store today and thought of you!

Mandy's Life After 30 September 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm

That looks sooo dee-lish! I will definitely try this one. Thanks! I actually found your blog from a comment that I saw posted on "Pensacola.momslikeme" site. I will be your newest follower. I tried to vote for your cheese platter, by the way but since I don't have wordpress I don't think I can vote for it? Anyway, come visit me when you can, http://www.mandylifeafter30.com

Chef Fresco September 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I love summer too, but am excited about all of the fall foods! This chili sounds delicious!

Geezees Geezees Custom Canvas Art October 9, 2009 at 7:22 am

Ooooh…i love this recipe, i am big fan of chili, but this recipe is amazing!