Fish Piccata

by jerseygirl on March 12, 2009 · 32 comments

Okay everyone, it time to Barefoot Blog. The Barefoot Bloggers is a group of Ina Garten enthusiasts that blog about her recipes twice a month. Lucky for me, I’m still in my pajamas and yes my feet are bare. I made this recipe for dinner last night. The husband went out for dinner with friends and the kids were eating “kids food” so I made it all for myself. This months recipe was Chicken Piccata picked by Lindsey of Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings. I decided to change things up and make fish instead of chicken. I happened to have some mahi mahi that I just bought from Trader Joes. It was the perfect white, firm flesh fish to use. To make things even healthier, I tossed some arugula with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. I then served the fish right on top. It was light and delicious. I guess I really am envisioning spring and this is a great spring or summer meal. Enjoy!

Fish Piccata (Adapted from Ina’s Chicken Piccata)

4 small white fish fillets

1/4 cup flour

2 TBS butter

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 TBS capers

1 TBS chopped parsley

Sliced lemon, for serving

fresh parsley leaves, for serving
salt and pepper to taste

Dredge the fillets lightly with the flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the fish fillets and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Reserve them on a plate and keep warm. Over medium heat, melt the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, capers and parsley. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Put the fish back in the pan and heat for a few minutes. Serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 2 servings.

post signature

biz319 March 12, 2009 at 1:10 pm

This looks really good – just wished I liked fish more!

NatNibbles March 12, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Ina has great recipes! I love picatta, it’s good on so many things.

♥Rosie♥ March 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I do like your idea of using fish in this dish Lisa. Great ingredients and your dish looks delicious – another recipe I must save :0)

Rosie x

Mary March 12, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Lisa, this is just beautiful to look at. The use of fish was inspired.

Barbara Bakes March 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Such a great meal to treat yourself to – it looks wonderful!

Eric Spehr March 13, 2009 at 4:40 am

Looks good, your food pics have gotten much better. Prob shouldn’t be doing a quick browse on an empty stomach.

CookingCourtney March 13, 2009 at 8:06 am

that looks good!
i wish i liked fish!

Foodie with Little Thyme! March 13, 2009 at 8:11 am

Nice change to the fish. I do like to eat fish in the spring.

Allie March 13, 2009 at 8:32 am

I like your idea of swapping the chicken for fish it looks really good!

Robin Sue March 13, 2009 at 9:21 am

Since we have been trying to increase our fish intake this would be the next best recipe to try. Thanks!

HoneyB March 13, 2009 at 10:23 am

It looks great! I personally think I would prefer it with fish myself! A great light meal!

Kirsten March 13, 2009 at 11:29 am

Great idea to use fish! I’m not a huge fish person but yours looks great.

alexandra March 13, 2009 at 11:51 am

Ina’s done it again! This looks like a great recipe to have in the repertoire — simple,healthy, fast, delicious. yummy!

Bridgett March 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

I’ve never tried it with fish, but it sounds like a delicious take on the classic. I need to give this one a try.

Penny March 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Fish was an excellent idea. I can even see lightly breading tilapia and preparing it in the same way. You’ve given me ideas. I served my chicken to company and it was an easy meal to prepare with a rice medley and sugar snap peas on the side. The flavors bode Spring!

Pam March 13, 2009 at 1:32 pm

A perfect way to make fish – love the sauce.

Aggie March 13, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Oh this looks perfect Lisa. I love fish piccata…I have made it with grouper before. Maybe next week I’ll have it again with tilapia…what I love even more is how you topped it on the arugula!!! What a great “mom” dinner!!

Amber March 14, 2009 at 1:23 am

Piccata and Marsala…we could be bestest friends. These, plus the sauce for Scampi, are my favorites. I am impressed, they look perfect. The last time I had Halibut at a restaurant it was in a Piccata sauce, so good. I do love Ina’s recipes. Since you tend to cook pretty healthy, this works very well with pounded turkey cutlets also.

Lucy March 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I just love the flavors & picatta matches up so well w/fish… YUM!!!

Karen March 14, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Mmm, I’ll bet that was good!

Debbie March 14, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Never thought of making fish piccata but now I want to!!! It looks great and I could eat fish every night.

Tonya @ What's On My Plate March 14, 2009 at 9:47 pm

i loved that you subbed in fish. sounds great!

Suzie March 15, 2009 at 5:40 am

Looks great with the fish – and I am impressed you still make an effort when you are cooking for yourself. I have a bad habit of toast for dinner when hubby is away….

Maria March 15, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Love that you used fish since I don’t do any meat. Looks good!

Andrea March 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

Glad you enjoyed this recipe and your variation, I had to laugh when you said the kids were having ‘kid food’ — I sure do know what you mean! Sometimes they surprise me though, my youngest did try the tofu piccata and enjoyed it but the older two wouldn’t even taste it, oh-well :)

barefootbloggers March 17, 2009 at 11:38 am

love your substitution of the mahi mahi for the chicken! that sounds SOOOO good!!!

Jan March 19, 2009 at 12:03 am

I’m sure this sauce worked better on fish than chicken, sounds lovely.

Term papers January 27, 2010 at 7:11 am

Wow It was the perfect white, firm flesh fish to use. To make things even healthier, You tossed some arugula with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. you then served the fish right on top. It was light and delicious. you guess you really are envisioning spring and this is a great spring or summer meal. Enjoy!

Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I just fixed the fish piccata with one exception…I used non-fat low-sodium chicken broth instead of wine and it was absolutely delicous!! Will definetly make this again and again…

Bizzy April 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I see you were a member of Barefoot Bloggers. Since it closed, today, we started a new group called Ina's Garden? You might be interested in the group. There are no requirement. We post twice a month, once the same recipe and the other time from a broad theme.

Regardless, would you be kind enough to link this up for our very first linky. Thanks.

Chris Hart May 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Had this tonight. Made it with mahi mahi exactly to your recipie. Delish!

Erin February 1, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Oh thank goodness I thought to check your site (recently discovered you)! I love Ina and I want fish piccata last night. Woot!