Southern Tomato Pie is a beautiful marriage of ripe juicy tomatoes, fresh basil and an assortment of cheeses in a flaky crust. Perfect for any light meal, Tomato Basil Pie is an easy recipe to celebrate all the flavors of summer.
Hooray for fresh tomato recipes. (Hooting and hollering!) You know how much I love tomatoes. When it's tomato season in NJ, I am all over it. I grow my own tomatoes and also buy some at the farmer's market. If they are not in season then I get Florida tomatoes or whatever ripe red tomatoes I can find. And then it's time to make this southern tomato basil pie.
What is Southern Tomato Pie?
A classic southern tomato pie is a savory pie made with fresh tomatoes, and a mayonnaise and cheese mixture. It's baked in a flaky pie crust and is perfect as a side dish or as a vegetarian entree. I also love to serve it at room temperature for brunch.
I like to make my southern tomato pie with fresh basil. I always grow some basil next to my tomatoes and it just adds freshness to the tomato pie. This pie also contains three cheeses. You can really use any type of cheese you like but personally, I would not change a thing. My family looks forward to this three-cheese pie every time I make it.
- Pie Crust – Refrigerated pre-made pie crust will help this recipe come together quickly but feel free to make homemade pie crust if you prefer. You will need enough for one 9 to 10-inch crust. Use this pie crust recipe for an easy buttery homemade one.
- Cheese – Shredded mozzarella, swiss cheese and gruyere are layered and give this pie a wonderful flavor. Feel free to experiment with your favorite cheese but this combination really hits the mark.
- Tomatoes – Thinly slice ripe tomatoes. I like to try different tomatoes. Roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes or large beefsteak tomatoes will provide terrific flavor.
- Salt – Kosher salt really brings out all of the natural flavors.
- Mayonnaise – If mayonnaise scares you, just remember that it's eggs and oil. We're just adding those ingredients already combined to save time.
- Basil – Fresh basil leaves add a fresh flavor. I always chop a little extra to use for garnish. Other fresh herbs like parsley or chives could also work as a garnish.
How to Make Tomato Basil Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll a prepared or homemade crust into a deep dish pie pan and prick several times with the tines of a fork. Bake the pie shell for 10 minutes.
- Slice the tomatoes, sprinkle with a little salt and let sit white the crust bakes.
- In a small bowl mix together swiss cheese, gruyere cheese and mayonnaise. Drain excess water from the tomatoes on layers of paper towels.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese onto the bottom of the baked crust. Drain excess water from the tomatoes and layer on top of the mozzarella cheese, reserving three slices for the top. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Spread the swiss cheese mixture on top and arrange the reserved tomato slices. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet to prevent the excess juices from spilling on to oven.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden. If edges start to brown too much, cover with foil.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with extra basil if desired.
- For some extra flavor, you could add some crispy bacon to this savory southern tomato pie. It would not be vegetarian anymore but it sure would be tasty.
- If you like onions, add some finely chopped onions. It will give it a nice sweet flavor. You could also sprinkle in some chopped green onions which gives the pie some extra color too.
- If you'd like a Mediterranean twist, throw in some olives and feta cheese.
- Once your pie has cooked, drizzle the top with balsamic vinegar or glaze. I love my piece with a slight drizzle of balsamic glaze. It brings out the sweetness of the tomatoes and basil.
- Throw in some finely chopped garlic or sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano for a savory tart with even more classic Italian flavor.
- Try different kinds of cheese such as sharp cheddar cheese or smoked Gouda for a different flavor combination.
Storing and Leftovers
The great thing about this pie is that it can easily be made in advance and served at room temperature or reheated for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
If you have leftover slices of pie, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Individual pieces of pie can quickly be reheated in the microwave for about 30 seconds or brought to room temperature.
This easy tomato pie recipe can be a main dish and served with a green salad for a wonderful light dinner. Or you could serve this pie next to a meat, fish or poultry dish for it to serve as a perfect side dish.
No. A Trenton tomato pie is a type of pizza made with tomato sauce that is popular in NJ. This is a pie using fresh layers of tomatoes, basil and cheese in a flaky pie crust.
More Fresh Tomato Recipes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Pan Roasted Swordfish with Cherry Tomatoes and Capers
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tomato Pesto Caprese Skewer Bites
- Ricotta Tomato Tart
- My Jersey Tomato Sandwich
If you like this Southern Tomato Pie Recipe, please leave a 5-star rating.
Southern Tomato Basil Pie
- 1 9 to 10 inch refrigerated pre made pie crust
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large tomatoes thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the crust in a deep dish pie pan. Prick some holes in the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, sprinkle the slices tomatoes with salt and let sit.
- In a small bowl mix together swiss cheese, gruyere cheese and mayonnaise. Drain any water from tomatoes on a layer of paper towels.
- After crust is baked, spread the mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the crust. Layer tomato slices on top of the mozzarella cheese. Reserve three slices for the top. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Spread the swiss cheese mixture on top then top with the three reserved tomato slices.
- Bake for 35 to 40 more minutes or until crust is golden. If edges start to brown too much, cover with foil.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with extra basil and salt and pepper if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.