Orange Fluff Salad is a creamy combination of whipped topping, cottage cheese, marshmallows, coconut and mandarin oranges flavored with an orange gelatin mix. This fluffy treat mixes up quickly and makes a tasty sweet side dish or dessert for holiday meals, special occasions, picnics and parties.
Orange jello salad is a classic dessert or side dish that have been loved by generations. The sweet, but not overly sweet, combination of ingredients in this dessert salad is like taking a bite of a flavorful cloud. The smooth creamy texture is pillowy and delicious. It truly is a family favorite.
Fluff salads can be made with any number of fruit and gelatin combinations, but the Orange Fluff recipe is my favorite. It's bright and refreshing. It's also a crowd favorite and everyone loves this delicious dessert.
Although called a salad, you won't find any lettuce in this Orange Fluff Jello Salad. This easy recipe can be served as a side dish or a dessert and pairs well with almost any meal.
Best of all, this Orange Creamsicle Fluff has only six ingredients and can be made in minutes. It's a great addition to your Thanksgiving or Easter dinner and is a classic dish often found at picnics and potlucks.
- Cool Whip – or use your favorite brand of whipped topping. The topping should be thawed.
- Orange Gelatin – use one box of powdered orange gelatin mixture such as jello.
- Mandarin Oranges – drain a can of mandarin oranges. You can find these with and without sweeteners added. Go with your personal preference.
- Marshmallows – get the mini marshmallows. I prefer to use the white ones, but you can use the multicolored ones if you prefer.
- Cottage Cheese – use small or large curd cottage cheese. The 4% fat makes it nice and creamy.
- Sweetened Coconut – You don't always find shredded coconut in orange fluff, but it adds a nice sweetness and texture.
See the printable recipe card below for exact quantities, full recipe instructions and nutritional information. .
How to Make Orange Jello Fluff
Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mixing until no orange streaks from the gelatin mix remain in the jello mixture.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with mandarin orange slices and serve.
Hint: Refrigerating for at least an hour helps the flavor to develop. For even better flavor, make the orange fluff up to 24 hours in advance.
- Lower Sugar - Use sugar-free gelatin and zero sugar cool whip to keep this recipe lower in sugar. You can also use unsweetened coconut or omit the coconut altogether.
- Swap The Gelatin - Use your favorite flavor of powdered gelatin like peach jello or strawberry jello.
- Swap The Fruit - In place of the mandarin oranges, you could use crushed pineapple, thawed frozen strawberries or your favorite fruit.
- Add Mixins – Mix in sour cream, a flavored yogurt, fruit salad, or pecans, for flavor and texture.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Before serving the leftovers, stir well to redistribute any liquid that has separated.
Do not freeze the orange fluff dessert as this will change the light creamy texture.
- Be sure to thoroughly drain the oranges.
- Don't prepare the jello. You will be adding the powdered mixture to the recipe.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving or up to 24 hours to help the flavors to develop.
- Easily double this recipe for serving a crowd.
- The texture of the marshmallows will become gooier as this salad is stored. This is normal and makes this orange salad even yummier in my opinion.
This salad benefits from sitting in the fridge for at least an hour or up to 24 hours, so it's perfect for making ahead.
You can substitute the whipped topping with whipped cream. We recommend that you make homemade whipped cream by whipping 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and ½ cup of powdered sugar until fluffy.
Looking for more dessert recipes? Try these:
If you like this Orange Fluff Salad recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Orange Fluff Salad
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (or other whipped topping)
- 3 ounces orange gelatin (1 box)
- 14 ounces (1 can) Mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the whipped topping and gelatin powder. Blend well until no orange streaks remain. Fold in the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour so flavors will all blend together. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Leave a Reply