This Easy Pimento Cheese Recipe with Smoked Gouda can be put together in 10 minutes. It's perfect as a dip for your next party or to spread on sandwiches, burgers or baked potatoes!
Recently, my family ate at Myron Mixon's Pitmaster BBQ Restaurant. My husband and son can't get enough BBQ and since we were in Alexandria, they wanted to try the champion pitmaster's brisket and ribs.
The food was great and while the boys love the smoked meats, I am all about appetizers and sides. We ordered some pimento cheese spread with crackers.
This was the first time I had this and it was so good that I thought I should recreate an easy homemade pimento cheese recipe in my own kitchen. All the simple ingredients for this southern classic were easily available at my grocery store.
What is Pimento Cheese?
Pimento Cheese is a popular spread in the south. It typically consists of cheese, mayonaise and pimento peppers. It can be served as a dip or spread on sandwiches. It is sometimes referred to as the pâté of the south as this easy recipe is a southern favorite.
The pimento cheese I made contained extra-sharp cheddar cheese, smoked Gouda and cream cheese. The combination was perfect and the smoked Gouda cheese gave it the perfect balance of smokiness.
The other additions of pimentos and spices gives the cheese spread the perfect bite. A little mayonnaise binds everything together.
I prefer to mix everything with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer so it's creamy. It's also perfectly fine to mix this easy cheese spread by hand if you like it a little chunky. A hand mixer also works well. You can also mix it in a food processor to make an even smoother and creamier cheese.
- hard grated cheese - I used half sharp cheddar and half smoked Gouda but feel free to use all cheddar if you don't want the smoky flavor. The great thing is that you can use different types of cheese that are your favorite. I prefer to grate the cheese myself with a box grater as pre-shredded cheese can cause a bit of a different texture.
- mayonnaise - this binds all the ingredients together.
- cream cheese - it provides the creamy texture of this pimento cheese dip. If you let the cream cheese come to room temperature, it will be easy to mix.
- diced pimentos - they have lots of flavor. If you can't find them, use chopped roasted red peppers instead. I often get this brand of Pimentos.
- spices - a little onion powder, dry mustard and cayenne pepper provide lots of flavor but add or leave out any spices you'd like. You could also add garlic powder or a dash of hot sauce for a spicy little kick.
- parsley - I use dried or fresh to garnish this cheese appetizer.
How to Make Pimento Cheese
- Put all ingredients in a big bowl (except cayenne pepper).
- Mix with a spoon or with an electric mixer until smooth or until you get the consistency you like. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving or up to 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with dried parsley, if desired.
How to Serve Pimento Cheese
If you need a last minute party appetizer, this cheese spread is a perfect appetizer to serve with crackers or toasted bread. I also love it as a sandwich spread on burgers and stuffed in baked potatoes.
It is also good eaten with a spoon when my family is not looking. This recipe makes a big batch so I can do that. And I still have plenty extra for potatoes, sandwiches and burgers.
This is one of my regular new years eve appetizers that I make every year. If you make this Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese recipe, I promise you everyone will be happy. It's also great for football season or any game day.
Trust me, this easy pimento cheese recipe will be one of your favorites!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days in your refrigerator. This recipe makes a large bowl so you can easily half the recipe if you don't want leftovers. My family likes leftovers so we love the large quantity. This leftovers of this southern pimento cheese recipe is great on celery sticks for snacking or between two slices of white bread for a grilled cheese sandwich.
Need some other easy appetizer recipes?
- Pan Fried Chinese Dumplings
- Creamy Feta and Roasted Pepper Dip
- Pesto Tortellini Skewers
- Tomato, Bacon and Avocado Crostini
- Shrimp Nachos via Souffle Bombay
- Pinwheel Antipasto Skewers
If you like this Pimento Cheese Recipe, please give it a 5-star rating below.
Easy Pimento Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 8 ounces pimentos chopped roasted red peppers can be substituted
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a big bowl (except cayenne pepper). Mix with a spoon or with an electric mixer until smooth or until you get the consistency you like. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to taste. refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving or up to 24 hours before serving. Sprinkle with dried parsley, if desired.
Thanks for stopping by! Subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks if you would like more recipes and cooking tips sent to your email. You can also order my Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and follow me on social media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.