This week, the Sunday Supper tastemakers are all about fresh tomato recipes. Yay (while hooting and hollering)! You know how much I love tomatoes!
When you live in NJ, it’s hard not to be a lover of fresh tomatoes. While I truly think NJ produces the best tomatoes (of course I do), I like to use fresh tomatoes the rest of the year also. I usually save the best salads for summer when I can get the juiciest, ripest tomatoes around. But today I am using some pretty good darn fresh tomatoes from Florida to make this super delicious pie.
This pie screams fresh! I have had this gorgeous little basil plant sitting near my kitchen window sill just waiting to be used in something good. Well, it finally found it’s place.
This savory pie is perfect on a brunch table or next to a salad for dinner. I also like to serve it as a side at dinner. I had to hide the leftovers because my husband declared he could eat the whole thing himself and I really don’t doubt that.
I used mozzarella, gruyere and swiss cheese in this tomato pie. I thought the combination was perfect but you can always change up the cheeses if you’d like.
It’s really not complicated to make. I used a premade (shhhhhhh) pie crust and baked it 10 minutes before I added the filling. Just layer on the cheese, tomatoes, basil, more cheese and top with a few more tomato slices. Bake it and you have yourself a main dish, side dish or appetizer.
Make sure to check out all the other Sunday Supper recipes below. Thanks to Rini from Healing Tomato for hosting this event! Happy eating!
- 1 (9 to 10 inch) refrigerated pre made pie crust
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoon fresh chopped basil, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the crust in a deep dish pie pan. Prick some holes in the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, sprinkle the slices tomatoes with salt and let sit.
- In a small bowl mix together swiss cheese, gruyere cheese and mayonnaise.
- After crust is baked, spread the mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the crust. Drain any water from tomatoes and layer on top of the mozzarella cheese. Reserve three slices for the top. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Spread the swiss cheese mixture on top then top with the three reserved tomato slices.
- Bake for 35 to 40 more minutes or until crust is golden. If edges start to brown too much, cover with foil.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with extra basil if desired.
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement