Big Crowd Chili
This big pot of chili will serve a crowd. Or you can make a pot and freeze half for another day.
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 5 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 3 cans 15 oz beans, rinsed and drained (you can use your favorite)
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 6 cups pureed fresh tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes can be used
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS ground cumin powder
- 2 TBS sugar
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- hot sauce fresh chopped cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese for garnishing and serving
In a large Dutch oven sauce pan, heat olive oil to medium high heat. Add ground beef. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain any extra grease.
Add peppers, onions and jalapeno peppers. Cook on low until vegetables are wilted. Add beans, cilantro, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and sugar. Cook on low for 1 ½ hours while stirring occasionally. If chili gets too thick a little water can be added to thin out.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with hot sauce and garnish with cilantro and cheese if desired.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 703mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1340IU | Vitamin C: 40.2mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 4.2mg