I'll admit that I don't think about gluten free cooking very often. No one in my immediate family has any allergies so I am lucky in that sense. But with the holidays fast approaching, I will be entertaining. I always like to have options for my guests with dietary restrictions or food preferences. If I am serving dinner to a crowd, I try to make sure I have a vegetarian option, a nut free option and a gluten free option. This mushroom cheddar pizza handles all of the above.
I will admit I was a bit of a skeptic when Udi's asked if I would like to try some of their gluten free bread products. I made sure to have an open mind and tried their raisin bread, bagels and pizza crust. I love to have people over for brunch and these products make a gluten free menu very manageable.
I can usually find gluten free items for a dinner menu but breakfast and lunch are much more more difficult. Having these products in my freezer will make things much easier. While the pizza makes a nice lunch or dinner, here are some ideas for gluten free breakfasts or brunch:
- breakfast pizzas (eggs, bacon and cheese on Udi's gluten free crusts)
- ham, egg and cheese bagels using Udi's gluten free bagels
- stuffed french toast using Udi's cinnamon raisin bread
- a fruit smoothie
- breakfast casserole using Udi's white bread
- yogurt parfaits with fruit and gluten free granola
Since I found both the bagels and bread in the freezer section, I preferred both items toasted. To me , gluten free products have a different texture than the bread I'm used to. But once I toasted it, it tasted just like my regular bread products. I made my kids cinnamon raisin toast and they didn't know the difference. Actually, they loved it!
What options do you have on your holiday entertaining menus for guest with allergies?
Gluten Free Mushroom Cheddar Pizza
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 bag of Udi's gluten free pizza crusts 2 crusts
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium size skillet, heat oil on medium heat and saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until wilted. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Spread the sauce on the crusts and evenly top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Place on a large baking pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Slice and serve warm.
****Udi's provided me with free product however as usual all opinions are my own.