The New Smashburger In Glassboro, NJ

by jerseygirl on February 8, 2013 · 14 comments

Smashburger_Glassboro_Opening_0420_2When it comes to eating out, I am not much of a fast food girl. I am not into driving through a window, getting my food in a bag then shoving a sandwich into my face to notice in the mirror that I have ketchup on my nose and mustard on my chin.

Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. Like when I was pregnant and my husband had to clean dozen of fast food bags from under the seat of  the car. Pregnancy can cause temporary insanity I guess.

Fast forward to now. I occasionally will eat at a fast food chain because my kids beg me to take them.  But I much prefer a fast casual restaurant.  This is a type of  restaurant that does not offer full table service but offers more upscale food and atmosphere than you find in a fast food restaurant.

Even though I am not into fast food, did I tell you I love me a good burger?

When I was invited to the media preview tasting to Smashburger last week, I was very excited.  I took my husband too because he is a true burger connoisseur. This is the first Smashburger to open up in the southern NJ area and we were not disappointed one bit.

To give you a little background on Smashburger, it is chain that was started in Colorado. They pride themselves on fresh ingredients. They start with 100% Angus beef;  smash, season and sear the burger on the grill, then top it with high quality condiments.  The burger takes 6 minutes to cook so it’s not done like your everyday fast food place. We tried a burger completely naked and in it’s pure form. It was delicious!

naked burger

The burgers were so good that thinking about them makes me want to cry. I tried several different burgers and my favorite was a regional burger which is on the Philadelphia area Smashburger menu. The Liberty Burger  was on a pretzel roll bun and topped with grilled onions, mustard and cheese whiz. I had several dreams about that burger.

liberty burger

My husband loved the New Jersey burger which was topped with blue cheese, bacon, and grilled onions.  I  felt a little guilty not saying the Jersey burger was my favorite. But don’t get me wrong. I’d eat one of these anytime.

As much as I loved the burgers, there were some good sides to eat too. The fries they have are not ordinary.  They are tossed with rosemary, olive oil and garlic. So yummy!

fries

They also have veggie frites. These are flash fried carrots and green beans. They were so good!

frites veggie

Did I mention the fried pickles?  If you have not tried fried pickles before, you must try these.

pickles

When I go to Smashburger, I am there for a big juicy burger. But if someone  is not in the mood for beef, there are plenty of options on the menu.  You know a chicken sandwich has to be good if it is topped with bacon and avocados, right?

chicken

For dessert, Smashburger serves up milk shakes made with Haagen Dazs ice cream. I didn’t even want to know the calorie count in these. I just wanted to suck one down with a nice big straw.  They were thick, rich and what  good shakes should taste like.

Right now, plans are underway to open 20 to 25 Smashburger restaurants in the Philadelphia area. I am hoping they open one up right around the corner from my house. But everything was so good, I do not mind driving a half hour.

Try it, you’ll like it!

Robin (Masshole Mommy) February 8, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Fried pickles? I’ve never heard of them, but that sounds interesting. The food there looks really, REALLY delicious.

Kristin February 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Oh my gosh, I MUST go here. Is it open to the public yet? I will have to hit the treadmill for hours, but I can tell it will be worth it!

claudia@what's Cookin italian Style Cuisine February 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm

looks really tasty!

Mary@One Perfect Bite February 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm

It will be years before one opens here, but you’ve sure made me put the chain on the radar for our road trips. It sounds like a great spot for a quick bite. I hope the worst of the blizzard has bypassed you. Have a good weekend. Blessings…Mary

Danielle February 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Like I said on FB, my parents just had one open up in their neighborhood and they really enjoyed it. but after reading your post, I’m going to have to go there ASAP! Sounds delicious and what a fun night out for you and your husband!

teresa February 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm

in the words of tina fey “I want to go to there!” i hope we get one up here soon!

patsy February 10, 2013 at 9:57 pm

We have one only 5 minutes from our house and it has become our favorite burger place! I adore the Smashfries! I haven’t tried the veggie frites… but, after seeing your post, I’m going to try them on our next trip there! I

Kate February 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I’m not a big fan of fast food burgers – but I love Smashburger. The only thing I don’t like is that their shakes always change, so I can’t always get my favorites.

Karen Harris February 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

For some reason Colorado is an incubator for new fast casual restaurants. Just wait until Crave goes nationwide. I love Smashburger too and for some reason didn’t order the fried veggies or pickles. I just might have to rectify that sometime soon.

Ramona February 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Okay, I’m glad they don’t have one of those here….I could not stay on a diet otherwise.

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet February 16, 2013 at 11:06 am

I love Smashburger!!! Probably a good thing we don’t have one nearby or I’d be working out 10 hours/day!!

Tracy February 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

My son was waiting for the Glassboro location to open because it’s only a couple minutes away. We went on opening day and have to say if they could do such a great job on their first official day this place is going to last a long time!

I’m not a huge hamburger fan, especially fast food but this burger was really good. I got a cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles with smash sauce on the side. I wasn’t a fan of the smash sauce but the burger was perfect. Didn’t really need the cheese or anything else. I really wanted to try the Philly though. Someone next to me had it and it looks so good. I love pretzel rolls but it will be hard to not get a burger on their amazing standard rolls.

I was dying to try their fried pickles but in the end they weren’t a do over to me. The pickle was salty and the coating was also super salty and a bit to heavy. I did love their fries a onion strings though.

I looked up the milkshake calories before I went and wish I didn’t. My 2 kids and I shared a chocolate shake and it was one of the best I ever had. Don’t know if I will ever be able to get one for myself at close to 900 calories but it’s great for sharing.

I think I am a burger convert. I’m looking forward to going back soon.

vanillasugarblog February 25, 2013 at 7:36 pm