Jersey Strong

by jerseygirl on November 16, 2012 · 15 comments

I am back after taking a little blogging break.  This wasn’t planned and a mean little lady named Sandy started this downward spiral of absent posts. She tried to bring several states in the northeast down but people that live there are much stronger than that.

I can’t just blame Sandy for my blogging absence as other things popped up and then there were my wisdom teeth which were pulled. I am sure you don’t want me blogging about  three days of dinners eaten out of an ice cream container.  But that is another story.

I am grateful that my little area in this world was not hit hard.  My family and I were without power for five days.  Halloween was postponed and schools, stores and other establishments were closed for a few days.  These are some of the trees in our neighborhood that caused the outages.

But this was a mere inconvenience compared to what so many others have endured. We have family and friends that have been without power  for weeks. Gas was rationed and people could not get to their jobs. Homes and lives were destroyed.  I have several friends who own beach homes that were spared with minimal damage. But many whole shore towns have been destroyed. Gas lines as well as all the businesses have been shut down.

But  northeast people are tough and things will be rebuilt. Eventually, there will be a new normalcy.

And in all this inconvenience there was plenty of kindness. I can’t say enough about my friends and neighbors. They opened their homes to my family, brought us cooked food,  lent us a generator, offered up freezer and fridge space and even did my laundry. We were offered the world just because we lost our electricity for a few days.

This kindness stretched all over and I have heard stories of outpourings of support. People are donating money, items and their time so that those affected can be more comfortable. A mom on my son’s soccer team (and a friend of mine) took up a collection of baby items to bring to those in need. Look at what she obtained in two days.  My son plays on one generous soccer team.

Let’s keep this kindness going! I know so many people are still without basic everyday needs so let’s think of ways we can help this situation. Here are some sites and ways you can help:

The Red Cross

Donate time, money or goods in NJ

Ways You Can Help NYC

Feeding America Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts

Community Food Bank of NJ

Food Bank of South Jersey

These are just a few organizations/ websites  that are helping with relief. There are so many more to choose from. I know I had some great friends and neighbors that helped my family and I want to pay it forward. Please do what you can.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I will be back next week with plenty of recipes. I also have some great holiday giveaways planned.

Ramona November 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I hate seeing the old trees getting knocked out by storms.

ciaochowlinda November 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oh, I’m so happy to see this post and see the goodness in people’s hearts when others are in need. I hope the kindness will continue and that it gives comfort to those who have lost so much. It does make you grateful for all you have and makes a power outage seem insignificant in the face of a loss of a home or especially, a life. As a fellow blogger, I feel we really should be using our blogs as much as possible to give everyone who needs it a hand.

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet November 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Glad you’re all ok! Never thought I’d have to endure a hurricane while living in the northeast!!! Hope it’s the last! 🙂

Danielle November 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Love the post – especially about how much others helped you and how you helped others…when we were volunteering, baby wipes, diapers, etc. were one of the most needed things. It was a great idea to collect for that 🙂 hoping that the holidays send lots of warmth and good wishes your way!!

Mary November 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Lisa, I am so glad that the storm spared your family your family serious harm. Thanks for the list of agency that are accepting help and donations. I love your spirit. Have a great weekend. Blessings…Mary

Beth @ Hungry Happenings November 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Glad to hear you and your family are safe and well.

patsy November 16, 2012 at 9:48 pm

So glad to hear that you guys fared pretty well in the storm… we were lucky as well being so far North in NJ. I haven’t been down to the shore since Sandy cause the heartbreaking damage. We’ve been doing alot of collecting of things needed by those who lost so much, too… it’s so nice to see our communities come together to help those who really need it.

claudia @whats cookin italian cuisine November 17, 2012 at 6:53 am

We here in Florida know all to well what you’ve endured. I myself lived out of boxes for 9 months waitingfor the house to be rebuilt. The people that helped out the ones in need were over the top amazing as I see its no different in the Jerseys shore.. God Bless and keep it going with the hope everyone has a thankful Thanksgiving there.. thoughts with you all..

Lea Ann November 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

Oh goodness. So glad to hear from you. This will be a very special Thanksgiving for you, you’ve got a lot to be thankful for. I’ve been watching the devistation on the news and so sad for those who lost so much.

Kate November 18, 2012 at 1:09 am

I hope you’re feeling better from the wisdom teeth surgery! I remember that feeling – so unpleasant.

Cathy W November 18, 2012 at 1:29 am

I’m glad you’re back and that your damage was minimal. My heart goes out to all of you who were affected by the storm. It is so nice to hear that everyone came together to help. New Jersey rocks! 🙂

teresa November 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm

jersey strong, that’s right! i’m glad you’re okay. we were without power for six days, whew, what a week! it is wonderful that you’re contributing to the cause!

natalie@thesweetslife November 18, 2012 at 10:49 pm

glad you guys are okay!

Erica November 29, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Glad to hear you’re ok! I have a lot of relatives in NJ that were hit pretty hard. I donated food & blood!

Betty Ann @Mango_Queen December 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Glad to have gotten together with you last Sun. at the cookie swap in NYC. Sandy was a storm that taught us a lot of lessons. Thanks for this update and photos. Take care & Happy Holidays, Lisa!