Giveaway closed. Congrats to Christine Jensen!
The Chinese new year is January 23rd and it’s almost time to celebrate. Our family is not Asian but it’s always fun to have a party! This celebration lasts 15 days so it’s a great time to invite family and friends over for a Chinese feast. I am also celebrating by giving away a Sun-Bird seasonings gift pack.
When it comes to food, I am an adventurous eater. I feel very comfortable cooking Italian and American comfort food but I am a little more uneasy when it comes to cooking Asian recipes. Most of the Asian food I ate growing up came from take out boxes. So I am a little nervous when it comes to creating my own Asian recipes. This is why I love Sun-Bird seasoning packets. They put me totally at ease and it is quite easy to put together a dinner. By using a few Sun-Bird packets, I can put together a whole Asian buffet.
Honey Teriyaki Chicken Skewers and Healthy Edamame Fried Rice are two perfect dishes to have on your menu. They are both easy and flavorful. The fried rice is a good vegetarian option. I followed the Sun-Bird Seasonings fried rice packet instructions but omitted the green onions and added 1 cup of shelled edamame at the end of the recipe. I used brown rice rather than white and it turned out both healthy and good.
I broiled the chicken skewers but if the weather is nice, feel free to grill them outside. The recipe for the chicken is below.
If you want to throw your own Chinese new year party, here are some tips to get you started:
- Create colorful paper invitations. If you have children, I’m sure they would love to do this.
- Decorate with gold and red ribbons or red or gold balloons.
- Purchase different colored chopsticks to give to guests as party favors.
- Put some gold confetti on a red tablecloth.
- If it’s a family friendly party, have finger foods that kids will enjoy such as steamed dumplings, Chinese noodles and/or fortune cookies.
- Pick out a few dishes that can be made in advance so you can relax at the party.
- Check out the Sun-Bird Facebook page for more ideas.
Now to help you start the party, Sun-Bird is giving away a gift pack to one of my readers. This includes a $15 gift card and a variety of Sun-Bird seasoning packets. All you have to do is leave a comment for a chance to win. Please leave your comment by Friday, January 13th at 11:59pm EST. A winner will be randomly picked and announced over the weekend. Sorry but this giveaway is only open to people with a US mailing address.
Good luck everyone!
- 1 packet Sun-Bird Honey Teriyaki Seasoning
- 1 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1½ inch chunks
- ½ large pineapple, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 8 to 10 wooden skewers
- Mix together seasoning, sugar, soy sauce and water. Put the chicken in a plastic container or bag and pour sauce over it. Marinate in the refrigerator from 1hr or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Thread the chicken and pineapple on the skewers. Baste with any remaining sauce. Cook in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through. Skewers can be turned once and the broiler can be put on the last few minutes of cooking.
Disclaimer: I am a Sun-Bird blogger advocate and was sponsored to do this post. The giveaway was provided by Sun-Bird but all thoughts and opinions are solely my own.