Guest Blogger : Rachel From Not Rachael Ray and Edamame Dip!

by jerseygirl on August 19, 2011 · 18 comments

I am back from my vacation and ready to get back into the swing of things. I have plenty of summer food adventures to tell you about but first I want to welcome Rachel from Not Rachael Ray on my blog today. She is here to tell you a little bit about herself and then share a fabulous edamame dip.  Take a peek over to Not Rachel Ray for more great recipes and beautiful photographs! Let’s hear it for Rachel!

******************************************************************************************

When Lisa sent out a request on Twitter for people willing to guest post on Jersey Girl Cooks, I jumped at the chance! I love to guest post because it introduces me to so many new people. And since Lisa’s blog is great, I know her readers must be awesome too! Thanks again for letting me hang out on your blog today, Lisa!
Please stop by my blog and tell me a little about yourself! Here are ten things you should know about me, five with substance, five…a little more random.
1.   1.I’m a family girl. I have a wonderful husband and an almost 11-month old daughter. They are my everything. I also have an amazing extended family and great in-laws.
2.    2. I’m a Doctor of Physical Therapy at a busy hospital. I treat people recovering from surgeries, accidents, or illnesses. I spend time on pediatric units, orthopedic units, and in the intensive care unit. I love the variety and fast-paced setting that the hospital offers.
3.    3. Since our daughter was born, I’ve become a stay at home mom, but still work some weekends and during the summer when my husband is home with our daughter. I treasure both jobs so much.
4.    4. I love to cook and bake! Duh. I started my blog in February of this year and I love the way it challenges me to try new things in the kitchen.
5.    5. I don’t really like fish. I wish I did.
6.    6. I love macaroni and cheese and popcorn. I would these two things every day if I could.
7.    7. I love playing Scrabble, Boggle and card games. I would probably beat you in Scrabble. Sorry, it’s true.
8.    8. I love high heels but unfortunately I am 5’10” without them.
9.      9.  I have a weird thing about people touching my knees. I hate it.
1   10. I love being outdoors and suffer through horrible allergies to enjoy some fresh air.
Alright, so that’s me, but let’s talk about this recipe! I love edamame, have you tried it? Have you heard of it? If you haven’t heard of it, edamame is a green soy bean picked before it has ripened. They can be steamed and eaten straight from the pod with a little salt, or they can be turned into this delicious dip! They are also a great add-in if you’re making a stir-fry. And vegetarians take note! Actually, everyone can benefit:  these little babies are jam-packed with protein! Twelve grams per 3.5 ounce serving!
This dip is creamy and has a subtle flavor but is oh-so-good. I’ve been dipping crackers in it but I think it would also make a really great veggie dip or sandwich spread.

Edamame Dip

Adapted generously from Family Circle Magazine
1 lb frozen, thawed, shelled edamame (you can buy it pre-shelled, save yourself the work!)
2 scallions, roughly chopped
1 small clove of garlic, roughly chopped
¾ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon hot sauce
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup cold water
1.    Combine edamame, scallions, garlic, salt, and hot sauce in food processor. Process until smooth(ish).
2.    With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil and water until a smooth consistency is reached.
3.    Serve with crackers, vegetables, or spread on a sandwich.

Verdict: This was great! Highly addicting, but not bad for you, so a win-win situation. You can really taste all the flavors, and I would recommend using good olive oil because you can really taste it in this dip.
Husband’s take: He actually didn’t try this! Yet.
Changes I would make: None, this was great. Although, I am dreaming up an Asian version of it with ginger and soy…
Difficulty: So, so easy!

post signature

That Girl August 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Welcome back!

Patsyk August 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Looks great! Love dips that are tasty and not too bad for you!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! August 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I love edamame. The hubby and I always grab an order of edamame when we go for for sushi. I think he'd love this. Great post Rachel!

Erica August 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I just purchased some edamumus from Tjs and loved it! Must try this awesome at home version!

mjskit August 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Lisa and Rachel – What a great post! Lisa, this is my first time here and I WILL be back! Rachel, it's fun learning more about you. I knew you were a great cook from your website, but it's fun learning more. Love edamame! Can't have sushi without it (but then you don't like fish). Can't wait to try this dip! Fun post!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook August 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I have to admit, I'm jealous. I tried making an edamame dip a couple of years ago (Alton Brown's recipe I think) and I couldn't get it to come out right. The edamame stayed super chunky no matter how much I cooked it. Yours looks beautiful. Great job!

I'm with you on the Asian version; sounds yummy!

The Food Hunter August 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Can't wait to hear about your vacation!

Ciao Chow Linda August 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm

What a beautiful color. I use edamame, but never tried making them into a dip. great idea.

Maris (In Good Taste) August 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Great guest post! Loved getting to know you better through your facts! This dip looks really delicious and the photos are great.Many thanks to you for your supportive and kind comments on my last post

Shelby August 20, 2011 at 6:17 am

I've never had edamame! Its never been readily available for me where I come from (the hicks apparently). I haven't really thought to look for it since we've moved. Will have to see if I can find some. Sounds delicious!

Aggie August 20, 2011 at 7:36 am

What a nice surpise to see Rachel here, love you both girls!!

I love edamame, and recently made an awesome edamame dip that required a little cook time. I'm really loving this version…so easy and quick! I have to pick up some edamame at the store this weekend so I can have a batch of this waiting for me in the fridge all week. Great snacking!

Barbara Bakes August 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

A dip that is easy, tastes great and is healthy – sounds perfect to me!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray August 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks again for having me, Lisa!

teresa August 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm

i love the pretty green color, this looks wonderful, and so packed with flavor!

Pegasuslegend August 21, 2011 at 9:47 am

welcome back looks great!

Sweet And Crumby August 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh…yum! And so healthy. I will definitely be trying this soon!