Happy New Year 2010 and Foodie Resolutions!

by jerseygirl on January 1, 2010 · 41 comments

I hope everyone has a healthy and happy new year with lots of good things to eat! Yesterday I contemplated on revisiting some of my old recipes and doing a post on my 2009 favorites but I decided to go full speed into the new year ahead. Instead, I am doing some foodie resolutions that I have made for myself. Some are simple and some take up a bit more time but I hope to get to them all. How about you? Is there any foodie resolutions you would like to share?

1. Make my own cheese and yogurt. I have always wanted to do fresh mozzarella and ricotta but have not got around to purchasing the kit. This will be the year. I have heard it is quite easy to make yogurt.

2. I love my old fashioned pasta maker but never get around to using it. It’s been a while but that baby is coming out of the closet soon!

3. I saw a few recipes for spaetzle and would love to try it. It does not seem too complicated.

4. I love Mexican but always seem to make it very simple. This year, I’d like to experiment with some of the dried peppers and make some complicated sauces. Maybe I’ll even try some homemade Mole sauce.

5. I love Paella but have never cooked it before. I have a great pot to use and will try it soon.

6. I love entering recipe contests but was caught up in other activities this year and the contesting entries fell through the cracks. I plan to enter more and hopefully get to a cook off or two.

7. Healthy eating! Of course, I had to put this one in there but I’d like to continue to experiment and acquire more healthy recipes with the freshest ingredients possible.

May all your dreams come true in 2010!

post signature

kat January 1, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Some great goals. I thought of adding yogurt to mine as well. Happy New Year!

Dawn January 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

happy new year Lisa. I have to enter more cooking contests as well–I plan to make more time for them.

Lea Ann January 1, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I want to make my own pasta too. I'll be doing that soon. Do you have any of Rick Bayless's cookbooks? I love them for Mexican food – as far as I'm concerned he's a genius.

HoneyB January 1, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Happy New Year Lisa! You are such a good girl – I am so bad. I have not made any goals…guess I should!

Ciao Chow Linda January 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Good luck in keeping these resolutions. I look forward to reading about them on your blog. The yogurt is really a snap to make – I used to do it regularly when the kids were little.

Kitt January 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Happy New Year! Those are all doable resolutions. The cheese is easy; you don't need a kit for ricotta; just a thermometer and cheesecloth.

rookie cookie January 1, 2010 at 9:54 pm

What a great list! Definitely try a mole and post it. That is my favorite sauce out of any other sauce- including chicken gravy. And I think chicken gravy is the sauce of the Gods.

Before I read your post, I was thinking of my very own food resolutions. One thing I want to do is grow and dry my own herbs. And canning tomatoes would be great too. But I am not going to commit too much. I am having my 3rd baby in May. Who knows how crazy things will be after that?!

Amanda January 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Good for you. I haven't even considered resolutions yet other than walking more. I like yours though 🙂

Mom on the Run January 1, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I love your goals!

Happy New Year!

Mary January 1, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Happy New Year, Lisa. I hope 2010 brings you health and happiness and a cook-off or two :-). Have a wonderful weekend.

Melissa January 2, 2010 at 1:28 am

That's right-you don't need a kit to make ricotta. What a great list of goals. I hope you have a blast doing them.

Here is a link to my entry on making ricotta. Easy Peasy!

Jeremy January 2, 2010 at 5:35 am

Happy New Year 2010!!

Jen_from_NJ January 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

Happy New Year Lisa! Great list of resolutions – I have made ricotta which is so easy but I too want to try mozzarella. I also am determined to make homemade pasta. Homemade yogurt sounds great as well!

Kerstin January 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Happy New Year! I have a bunch of foodie resolutions too, including making pasta!

Beth January 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Happy New Year

The Food Hunter January 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Happy New Year! These are some great resolutions. Good Luck!

Clumbsy Cookie January 2, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Hope you can get all of it done girl! Happy new year Lisa!!!

Kasha January 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Happy New Years! Thanks for being my friend!

Jennifer(Savor) January 2, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I love your foodie resolutions and look forward to seeing the results. I also need to enter more contests. Happy New Year!

Adam January 2, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Love your resolutions, Lisa. I think you'll be golden on the pasta making.

Hey, what if you combined the pasta and the mole sauce… two birds with one stone… even if it tastes a bit funny 🙂

Amber January 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Yogurt is really easy. My Grandmother always made it. We at it with fresh crushed garlic over grape leaf dolma and with baby dill and cucumbers.
My goal is to change my life. A huge feat, but even small changes make a difference.
Hope your New Year is wonderful.

Annie January 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

What a great idea…All of your resolutions sound like great goals to attain! I would love to try a paella too! Good luck and I want to wish you and your family a Happy & Healthy New Year!

teresa January 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm

those are some great goals! best of luck and i'm excited to see how they go!

Patsyk January 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Happy New Year! You have some fun foodie resolutions on your list! Enjoy them and I hope you have a delicious 2010!

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco January 4, 2010 at 1:39 am

Let us know when you're going to make paella – we will be happy guinea pigs! – John

Debbie January 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

Hi Lisa, Hope you have a very happy and healthy new year. My resolutions regarding cooking this year is to try to cook healthier and lighter. I have such a sweet tooth and can really pack away cakes and cookies!!!

Donna-FFW January 4, 2010 at 10:46 am

Fanbulous resolutions. I cant wait to see the progress on your blogs, especially the cheeses and paella!!

The Japanese Redneck January 4, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Great resolutions. Sounds like you are going to be very busy!

Bridgett January 5, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Happiest New Year, Lisa! How are you and your family doing? I love your list and am impressed if you give making cheese a try. That is such a cool idea. I love my pasta maker and I am sure you will enjoy it too. There is something therapeutic about making your own pasta, lol!
Paella takes a while to make but it is so worth it. I look forward to your posts. Take care!

black eyed susans kitchen January 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Happy New Year Lisa! Paella is one of my favorite dishes. My husband will tackle that recipe for a special occasion. We also have some culinary goals this year, and one of mine is to make more from scratch and avoid the cans and boxes.
♥, Susan

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom January 5, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Great foodie goals! My resolution this year is to finish writing my second cookbook!
I too want to enter my recipes into more contests. In fact, I am about to enter one into a Mango Board contest (I found out about it on Gourmet Mom on the Go blog). You should enter your mango crisp recipe (my kids really loved that one).
Happy New Year.

Juliana January 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Happy New Year Lisa! Nice that you set goals :-, like your resolutions and good luck!

joybuzz January 5, 2010 at 11:31 pm

You have some fun goals this year. I have a goal to try and eat less fat but since I like to cook and bake I am not sure that is really going to happen but I will try.
Joyce

Maria January 6, 2010 at 11:31 am

Good luck with your goals. Happy New Year!

Sook January 7, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hi it's my first time here and I love it! Happy New Year to you!

biz319 January 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Happy New Year Lisa!

I made homemade ricotta cheese, and the only equipment I needed was cheese cloth! I think I have it under my recipe page.

I got a pasta maker for Christmas so this weekend is going to be pasta mania at my house 😀

Hope all your culinary dreams come true in 2010 – and if you made a mole sauce, I hope you post the recipe!

The Blonde Duck January 8, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Wow! I'm in awe of your goals!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] January 9, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Happy New Year! Hope you have the most awesome year laying ahead of you!! Making youghurt is extremely easy, we make it at home almost everyday!!

Mrs. L January 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You have some great resolutions. I'm looking forward to reading about them once you've conquered them!

Jamie January 21, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Lisa,
I've been meaning to leave a comment here. I love all your foodie resolutions. I have similar ones like making more healthy dishes (which I try to do all the time and keeping a balance with the foods I make). Of course I want to make my own bread and pies this year but all in moderation. Good luck with your resolutions and belated Happy New Year!

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco January 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Lisa: we have GOT to exchange recipes! I have an AWESOME Mexican cookbook that is NOT Tex Mex and is "hardcore" without being to complicated. I've been interested in making "real" Mexican for a while…I have a simple paella recipe, you can tweak it with what you have on hand, and it is easier than it sounds- you do NOT need a special pan, just good, fresh ingredients, love, and real saffron….pasta is easy, it just takes practice (but DON"T start with a semolina flour recipe, it's a tricky dough, do a simple egg & olive oil and flour thing (I have to loan you my Lidia cookbook) and, yeah, I've been wanting to make yogurt, too-let me know how it comes out! Maybe we should get together one afternoon and COOK while the guys watch the kiddies!
-Lisa

Comments on this entry are closed.