Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

by jerseygirl on August 24, 2009 · 28 comments

In my blog reading this past week, I kept coming across this delicious zucchini sheet cake. The original recipe is posted on Tasty Kitchen. After the fourth time of drooling over it, I decided to make it. This cake is great for a party or crowd as it makes a large cake. And it is surprisingly low in fat compared to most other sheet cakes. It uses low fat cream cheese for the frosting and only 3 tablespoons of oil in the cake. Don’t get me wrong. After eating three pieces, I won’t call it diet food. But if you only have a small piece, it can be a sensible dessert. I substituted half carrots and half zucchini and it was delicious. The leftovers went to my husbands work this morning.

Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (can Use All White Flour If You Don’t Have This)
1-ΒΌ cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
Freshly Grated Nutmeg, To Taste (1/4 To 1/2 Tsp?), Optional
1 Pinch Ginger (about 1/16 Tsp Or So), Optional
3 Tablespoons Canola Oil
2 whole Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups Grated (unpeeled) Zucchini (*see Note)
1 (20 Oz.) Can Crushed Pineapple In Juice, Drained (reserve In Case You Need It For The Cake Batter Or The Frosting)

FROSTING
2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
8 Ounces Low-fat Cream Cheese, Softened (can Use Full-fat Cream Cheese)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar, Approx.
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Splash Of Milk Or Pineapple Juice, If Necessary
Chopped Walnuts Or Pecans (optional)
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350Β°.
To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini, and pineapple into flour mixture. Batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. If it still seems too dry, just add a little splash of the pineapple juice.
Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350Β° for about 33-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
To prepare frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. Add a splash of milk or pineapple juice if necessary. Spread frosting over top of cake. You can garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired.
NOTES : If your zucchini are huge, scrape the seeds out of the center before you shred it so it’s not too watery. Also, I spread it all out on layers of paper towel to drain it and dry it off a bit. Then I measure out 2 cups. Not sure if this is critical though. Nuts can also be added to the cake batter if desired. This recipe makes a very generous amount of frosting.
And this recipe can be turned into a Carrot Cake just by substituting shredded carrots for the zucchini.

post signature

That Girl August 24, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I would have never thought to put pineapple with zucchini, but it sounds so good!

The Food Hunter August 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Looks delicious. I can talk myself into believing it's low fat

Dawn August 24, 2009 at 3:51 pm

oh man this type of cake is my weakness because of the frosting.

Mary August 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm

It sounds fantastic, Lisa. The combination is a new one to me, but as it comes from your kitchen I know it's bound to be delicious. Have a wonderful day.

ttfn300 August 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm

oh my, i'm certainly going to be making this! zucchini and pineapple is a great combo πŸ™‚

Chef Jeena August 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Looks lovely and with pineapple too, great idea. Delicious. πŸ™‚

Maria August 24, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Great way to use up the zucchini!

HoneyB August 24, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Oh yum! I made my first recipe from Tasty Kitchen on Sunday morning – waffles…and it was a winner too! I will have to try this out with all my zucchini I have right now!

Adam August 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I dig how you mixed the carrots and zucchini together, that's a great idea. And low-fat is a super bonus indeed. His co-workers must love you πŸ™‚

Donna-FFW August 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm

This has been on my list for quite some time also, ever since PW posted it. Nice to have your review, just cements my decision to try asap.

Bunny August 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm

I have to show this to Carol, she'd love this!! I've never seen zuke and pineapple teamed up together!! Fantastic Lisa!

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco August 25, 2009 at 12:55 am

Looks and sounds really yummy. Then again, anything with a creeam cheese frosting sounds yummy to me. πŸ˜‰ – John

Cristine August 25, 2009 at 5:11 am

I love baking with zucchini! This looks fantastic!

The Japanese Redneck August 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

Very tasty looking.
Ramona

Katherine Aucoin August 25, 2009 at 10:41 am

The cake really looks good, the icing just does it for me.

Pam August 25, 2009 at 11:54 am

Yum. I love cakes like this. The frosting sounds great, I like that it uses low fat cream cheese.

Emaline August 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm

This recipe looks lilke ti is super moist and delish! Plus anything with cram cheese frosting gets an A in my book!

teresa August 25, 2009 at 1:33 pm

mmm, this looks so moist and full of flavor. the perfect way to use zucchini!

Annie August 25, 2009 at 9:25 pm

It's like a salad in a cake!! hehe only better tasting…
I love zucchini cake. This is a great recipe πŸ™‚

Katrina August 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm

What a great looking cake. Like a carrot cake, but uses up some of that zucchini! πŸ˜‰ Serious yum!

Leslie August 26, 2009 at 7:03 pm

So I cant eat the whike cake and it still be diet food??? DAMN

biz319 August 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I love the idea of this sheet cake!

Never thought to combine pineapple with zucchini!

Stout Ideas August 26, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Yum, looks nice and moist! I would have the same problem with limiting myself to one piece πŸ™‚

Colleen August 27, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I LOVE any kind of zucchini bread -and you can't go wrong with a cream cheese frosting!

Palidor September 10, 2009 at 5:24 pm

That looks wonderful. That's really neat to combine pineapple and zucchini.

EmBee September 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm

How weird is this… I was checking out Chris's site – Nibble Me This, because he's a favorite blogger of mine. Anywho, I happened over here from there and started perusing your tasty site. Than BAM! I hit on THIS recipe which is just PURE luck, because I'm throwing a surprise birthday party on Friday night and I thought I'd make a carrot cake but didn't have a recipe yet. Thanks for this post… It's EXACTLY what I needed and I didn't even have to go searching for it!
πŸ™‚

Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 11:11 pm

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals

As Xrumer experts, we possess been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] for the benefit of a large time conditions and know how to harness the massive power of Xrumer and go off it into a Bills machine.

We also provender the cheapest prices on the market. Numberless competitors will order 2x or consistent 3x and a end of the term 5x what we charge you. But we believe in providing great mending at a small affordable rate. The large incidental of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper variant to buying Xrumer. So we plan to stifle that bit in recollection and provide you with the cheapest standing possible.

Not only do we have the most successfully prices but our turnaround in the good old days b simultaneously payment your Xrumer posting is super fast. We will pull someone's leg your posting done before you know it.

We also provide you with a full log of loaded posts on contrasting forums. So that you can catch a glimpse of for yourself the power of Xrumer and how we hold harnessed it to help your site.[/b]

[b]Search Engine Optimization

Using Xrumer you can expect to distinguish thousands upon thousands of backlinks for your site. Myriad of the forums that your Place you force be posted on get high PageRank. Having your association on these sites can categorically expropriate strengthen up some crown grade endorse links and genuinely boost your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating through the roof.

This is making your put more and more popular. And with this increase in popularity as superbly as PageRank you can keep in view to lead your area definitely rank high-pitched in those Search Mechanism Results.
Above

The amount of transportation that can be obtained by harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your site to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may regular be publishing your position to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Ponder 1 collection on a popular forum will almost always enter 1000 or so views, with signify 100 of those people visiting your site. Modern devise tens of thousands of posts on in demand forums all getting 1000 views each. Your see trade ordain function because of the roof.

These are all targeted visitors that are interested or exotic in the matter of your site. Envision how divers sales or leads you can succeed in with this titanic gang of targeted visitors. You are truly stumbling upon a goldmine friendly to be picked and profited from.

Remember, Shipping is Money.
[/b]

GET YOUR INFERIOR DEFAME TODAY:

Anonymous July 11, 2010 at 8:29 pm

site for [b]download software for windows[/b] are available at:

download software for windows
[url=http://www.downloadsoftwareforwindows]download software for windows[/url]

[url=http://www.downloadsoftwareforwindows/products/download-magnifier/productpage.php]download magnifier[/url]

download e mail software