Chasing Down Mr Softee and a yummy pie!

by jerseygirl on August 13, 2009 · 27 comments

Today’s post is all about desserts. Throughout most of my life, I have been more of a real food person rather than a dessert or baked goods type of gal. But as I get older I have noticed that I have more of a sweet tooth. I love ice cream and dream of Italian pastries, strawberry shortcake and a good key lime pie. The sugar craving especially hits me after I’ve been on a treadmill or have swam laps. Luckily in NJ we have MR SOFTEE. And he even makes stops at our swim club. So after I swim my laps, I feel like I deserve some ice cream!

Chasing down the ice cream man was one of my fond childhood memories. If you live in my state you know what I mean. You can hear the twinkling music of the ice cream truck about a half mile away. My kids hear the sweet melody and want to immediately take off and run around the block to find that man with the double cones. You get a good amount of exercise running through the neighborhood and jumping up and down when the truck is in sight. The nice thing is that the ice cream is really good and fairly inexpensive compared to other ice cream stands around here. Just look at this joy.

Another decadent dessert I recently discovered is Triple Coconut Cream Pie. I happened to be watching The Best Thing I Ever Ate on The Food Network and saw this pie. It is made at Ritz Seafood which is a few miles from my house. Once I saw the fresh toasted coconut, white chocolate shavings and cream filling, I HAD to have a piece. My wonderful husband surprised me with a pie for my birthday last week. It was so good and definitely something that you would save for special occasions. Take a look at this pie and try not to salivate.

So what’s your favorite dessert? Do you have an ice cream truck that visits your neighborhood?

post signature

Mrs. L August 13, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I too, remember the ice cream man as a child. But more importantly, as an adult the truck used to come around the house I was renting. Nice being "old enough" to just have money and not have anyone telling me I couldn't have ice cream before dinner!

Dawn August 13, 2009 at 5:49 pm

man that pie looks good!
favorite dessert has to be banana cheesecake from the cheesecake factory or that 'death by chocolate' cake.
we never get the ice cream truck here 🙁

The Food Hunter August 13, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I remember those Mr. Softee days…chasing after the truck and jumping up and down. My favorite dessert hmm…I don't have just one…I love them all equally.

Katrina August 13, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Yum to that pie! I posted about my boys chasing down the ice cream man a few weeks ago. And remember all too well lovin' when we'd catch him when I was growing up. Does yours really do soft serve? My fave! Nowadays it seems like all commercial popsicles and such. Oh well, definitely a fun treat once in a while.
My favorite dessert was (because it was only for a limited time and is gone 🙁 )an amazing molten lava chocolate cake from Longhorn Steakhouse. Sigh! Fun post.

Veronica August 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm

You are so lucky to have Mr. Softee!! When I was a kid on Long Island we had Mr. Softee…I loved waiting for him to come-I still have a little rubber mouse that I bought from him (our guy sold little toys too!) Hope you're having a great summer Lisa!

Donna-FFW August 14, 2009 at 8:10 am

I SO love Mr Softee. my all time favorite!!

We live on kind of a main road so its hard for my kids to catch the ice cream truck. They have tried writing in sidewalk chalk to catch his attention.

Saves me about $10.00 a day;)

kat August 14, 2009 at 10:01 am

I remember the ice cream man used to come around our college during hot weather. We heard him the first time my freshman year & all went running out of the dorm. One girl was like where are you guys going there is no such thing as the ice cream man, he's made up like Santa Claus. Oh, I pitied her childhood.

ttfn300 August 14, 2009 at 10:06 am

holy coconut, that looks amazing!!

Pam August 14, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I hear the ice cream truck in our neighborhood sometimes but they always come right BEFORE dinner so we never get any.

The pie looks really tasty. My favorite dessert is anything with lemon or coconut.

The Blonde Duck August 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm

You're killing me.

Mary August 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm

The ice cream man cometh! How ell I remember. Your pie looks scrumptious. Can't wait to give it a try.

Aggie August 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm

That ice cream truck brings back memories of my summers as a child living in NY! I never see an ice cream truck in FL…maybe once every 2-3 years, randomly.

Oh that pie has me drooling!! Looks delicious!!

The Japanese Redneck August 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm

We don't have an ice cream man way out in the sticks where we live. Good thing or my Dr. would really be on me.

Pie looks good.
Ramona

That Girl August 14, 2009 at 6:58 pm

We don't have an ice cream truck, but there's one in my mom's neighborhood that comes by around 5pm….5pm? Isn't that supper time?

Jamie August 14, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Lisa,
When I was growing up in MD, we used to have the Good Humor Ice Cream truck come through the neighborhood (do they even still have Good Humor trucks). And then when we moved to Ocean City MD, we had an ice cream truck come by all summer. Soft served ice cream with sprinkles (also called jimmies) That was the best!

Happy Belated birthday. That pie looks unbelievable!

Jen_from_NJ August 14, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I am also more of a food than dessert person but there are a few desserts that I cannot resist – cannolis, Pasteis de Nata (Portuguese custard cups)and key lime pie – oh and I do love anything chocolate with nuts! Chasing down Mr. Softee is so fun!

Stacey Snacks August 15, 2009 at 9:18 am

Now that is decadence!!!
Happy belated birthday Lisa!

Nikki August 15, 2009 at 11:51 am

Milk shakes from Mr.Softee. yum yum yum yum

Chef Jeena August 16, 2009 at 5:37 pm

That pie looks so creamy and delicious!

When we were kids in the UK there used to be lots of 'Mr Whippy' vans, you don't see them as much now for some reason.

Leslie August 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm

the damn ice cream man never turns down my street!! GRRRRR

Emily August 17, 2009 at 5:08 am

Hello!
What a post to land on ~ I try to eat a largely vegan diet, but pie is my weakness. Triple (!) coconut cream pie sounds like pure heaven to me 🙂 Otherwise, I am a sucker for lemon meringue too.

Erica August 18, 2009 at 8:34 am

mmmmm yummy post! My go to easy at home dessert is usually just some baked fruit with a little whipped cream or ice cream. I also LOVEEEEEE frozen yogurt. My husband is big into key lime pie.

Elle August 18, 2009 at 2:43 pm

If I didn't have a favorite dessert already, it would be this one. Love coconut cream pie! So sweet of your husband to pick one up for you! My current fave? Anything chocolate, hehe.

Velva August 18, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I can remember ice cream trucks and the excitement about getting out fast to not miss the ice cream truck!

The coconut pie??? I think I died and went to heaven.Awesome!

Amanda August 19, 2009 at 8:49 am

Wow that pie does look awesome! Ah yes, the ice cream man! We have him here too, definitely a fond childhood memory 🙂

Hey not sure if you heard yet, but I started a discussion list for food bloggers! It's gaining momentum and I'd love it if you joined us (if you haven't already!)! All food bloggers are welcome, so if you know anyone else who would like ot join please pass it along! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/foodblogs/

Paula August 19, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Oh man, your ice cream truck looks clean and neat and wholesome. The truck that drives through our neighborhood is a dented beater van with some rather suspicious people at the wheel. We don't chase them down! I would chase down that TRIPLE coconut cream pie! LORDY, that looks good! YUM!

♥Rosie♥ August 20, 2009 at 7:06 am

We still have the ice cream van playing tunes around our neighbourhood. I remember as a child eagerly queuing up for a cone of ice cream when mum could afford it!

Oh that pie does look so delicious!!