Dinner Mishap

by jerseygirl on May 12, 2009 · 39 comments

Last nights dinner was made in less than 15 minutes. No lie, ask my husband! This wasn’t planned but it was due to a mild mishap. We had planned on having a light dinner of roasted eggplant dip, hummus , pitas and a salad. That didn’t happen and this is what my eggplant looked like.

I roasted the eggplant in a glass baking dish and it shattered when I placed it on the stove. Luckily all my fingers and toes were still intact. And my nice husband helped clean up the mess. I also learned a lesson of not to put a glass baking dish in a 450 degrees oven. By the time we were done cleaning, it was time to head to my son’s baseball game.

We came back from the game and I decided on this dinner which was quicker than ordering pizza. Luckily, I had some fresh pasta and prosciutto in the fridge. I also keep a stash of frozen herbs in the freezer. I buy these at Trader Joe’s and they are especially nice in the winter when I don’t have a herb garden.

This was a simple, light satisfying meal. I love the flavor and texture of crisped Prosciutto. I wait until the end to toss the pasta with it so it stays crispy. A little goes a long way. Okay, now I want eggplant and will crave it until I make some.

I am sending this over to Patsy at Family, Friends and Food because she is hosting Presto Pasta Nights. I mean it doesn’t get any quicker then this. Check out Patsy’s blog for the full round up this coming Friday.

Fettuccine with Crispy Prosciutto and Peas

2 TBS olive oil, plus extra if needed

4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped

1 TBS crushed garlic

1 box (9 oz) frozen peas

1/2 cup white wine

1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or broth)

a handful of fresh herbs or a few cubes of frozen (I used basil)

1 pound fresh fettuccine

crushed red pepper to taste

lots of fresh grated cheese (I used grana padana)

In a large frying pan, heat oil to medium high and cook prosciutto for 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add the garlic, peas, wine and stock. Cook until peas are no longer frozen and sauce is simmering. Add herbs. In the meantime, cook pasta for 2 to 4 minutes in a pot of boiling water or according to instructions. Drain and toss with peas and sauce. Toss in prosciutto, red pepper and lots of cheese. Extra olive oil can also be added.

post signature

Pam May 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the tip about glass baking dishes in 450 degree ovens…sorry for your mess.

Sometimes the best meals are made with what you have on hand – it looks fantastic.

Cate O'Malley May 12, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Will have to keep an eye out for those frozen herbs the next time I’m at Trader Joe’s – looks like a great thing to have on hand.

Donna-FFW May 12, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Sounds like a perfect dinner, quick, and delicious. Thank goodness you were ok .. must have been scary with that pan!

The Food Hunter May 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I’ve had the same thing happen to me with the glass dish. Well your pasta sure turned out good.

Barbara Bakes May 12, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I wish we had a Trader Joe’s here – the frozen herbs is a great idea!

oneshotbeyond May 12, 2009 at 1:20 pm

looks like a good meal…only 15 mins!!!??? That’s great.

I’ve never tried the frozen herbs…I should make a stop at TJ’s soon.

auntrene May 12, 2009 at 1:45 pm

The pasta sounds absolutely yummy! The herbs at Trader Joes, I would love to try them but Trader Joes is about 2 hours away from me. Thats a long drive.. Thinking my sisters and I may have to pack up the mini van and have a Sisters day and head to Trader Joes.. it would be fun.
Thanks for the glass pan tip, I have never had that happen before, knock on wood.

Jeena May 12, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Looks so lovely Lisa and it is always great to cook a tasty meal so quickly – yummy!

Mary May 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Lisa, that’s a shame. At least you, and us by extension, know the limits of pyrex pans. Your pasta recipe sounds delicious.

ttfn300 May 12, 2009 at 5:51 pm

oh no, I had no idea that glass would do that! I haven’t seen those frozen herbs at TJ’s!!! i’ll have to keep my eye out when I finish up my Daregal herbs 🙂

Heather May 12, 2009 at 6:46 pm

yummm! that sounds so good! i’ve never seen the frozen herbs, but i’ll look. love that this was done in 15 minutes 🙂

Aggie May 12, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Wow, I can’t believe your glass broke like that, now I know not to put one in a hot oven like that!! That’s what I love about pasta…how easy you can make a delicious dinner with it! This looks great Lisa!

FitFoodie May 12, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Sorry about the eggplant….but the pasta looks amazing!

Patsyk May 12, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your mis-hap! Yikes! At least you still ended up with a really delicious meal! 🙂

Thanks for submitting it to PPN this week!

Bunny May 12, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Oh I know what that’s like, I shattered a glass baking dish in the oven once, what a mess!!! You’re very good at thinking on your feet girl you whipped up dinner in 15 minutes!!

melissa May 12, 2009 at 9:41 pm

From what I understand, it shouldn’t break at 450, it will break if you take it from high heat and rest it on anything cooler, even room temperature. Better to place it on a pad or a counter (not tile or granite, which of course are very cool). I could be wrong about this, but I researched this some time ago after having a dish break on me wan I rested it on a cool – and wet – surface after pulling it out of the oven. Or it could have had a stress fracture. Just throwing these ideas out there because I cook my glass at 450 and don’t have problems, but perhaps I should be careful…

Anyway!

This dish looks good whether planned or unplanned, the pasta with pancetta and peas. I’ve been desperately wanting to try that combo, no joke. I imagine it was a very tasty rescue dinner.

Annie May 12, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Wow… thanks for the warning. I have put my glass pans in a really hot oven before. I guess I’ve been lucky.
The dinner looks so good. I love the frozen herb trick. I will have to look for those on my next trip to TJ’s!

Chef Fresco May 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the tip! This definitely would’ve happened to me one of these days – I’m impressed you still cooked after all that!

Katrina May 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Pasta yummy pasta! Way to go. We probably would have just gone out.

Kerstin May 12, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Oh no, so sorry about your pan! Looks like you saved the day with that pasta dish – it looks really yummy!

Sharon May 13, 2009 at 1:18 am

What a great last minute meal! I’m eyeing your original meal, so please post pics when you make eggplant again!

Emaline May 13, 2009 at 1:34 am

Oooh . . . this is how my life to . . . kitchen mishaps . . . live adn learn adn then great recipes come out of it! The pasta looks great!

Penny May 13, 2009 at 7:30 am

A truly good cook can pull together a meal from what is on hand. Kudos to you. The pasta sound great!

Katherine Aucoin May 13, 2009 at 8:05 am

Thanks goodness no one was hurt. Those glass baking dishes really shatter when they break.

The fettucine looks fantastic Lisa!

Veronica May 13, 2009 at 9:07 am

Wow! I didn’t know that about glass baking dishes!! Glad you came through without hurting yourself!

Sara May 13, 2009 at 9:14 am

Your pasta sounds good to me! I threw together a pasta dish last night based on random items in the freezer, it came out pretty well.

black eyed susans kitchen May 13, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hi Lisa, I also made that mistake of putting the glass baker in the 450 oven…lesson learned. Your pasta dish is a lot like my reaction to no time for dinner or, we are too hungry to wait for a pizza.
♥, Susan

kat May 13, 2009 at 10:10 am

Oh, I've done that glass baking dish thing before & its so scary!

Dawn May 13, 2009 at 10:21 am

5 minutes? now this is one for those nights when it’s 1000 degrees out, you know?

Debbie May 13, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Wow…what a pain cleaning all that up….thanks for the tip. I love pasta anytime. I also want to check out the herbs at Trader Joe’s. Freezing them is a great idea!

♥Rosie♥ May 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Lisa glad to hear no cuts to your fingers and toes. I did the same thing many years ago and never again, glass shattered all over my kitchen too.

Your pasta looks wonderful!

Sorry for my lack of calling by lately due to my ongoing back problems.

Rosie x

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen May 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Sounds perfect! Your Plan B looks great!

Yeah, I have pretty much stopped using glass baking dishes for this very reason…

The Blonde Duck May 13, 2009 at 5:33 pm

You poor thing! I had a glass pan shatter on me once just after I lifted dinner out of it–it went everywhere! I’m glad you’re all right!

Ciao Chow Linda May 13, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Wow you’re lucky you didn’t injure yourself with that shattered glass. We are finally getting a Trader Joe’s near us this summer and I CAN’T WAIT!

Stacey Snacks May 13, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Great save Lisa!
I could’ve told you NEVER put a Pyrex dish in the oven at temp over 400 degrees…..I think it says it on the bottom of the casserole!
Those poor little eggplants…….

Bridgett May 15, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I’ve had that happen to me as well and it scared me with its loud pop. I definitely need to keep an eye out for those herbs!

noble pig May 15, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Crazy…I posted about my Pyrex mishap today! Gawd it was so scary!

Ruth Daniels May 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

Great dish in spite of the mishap. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

a4 printers May 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm

amazing cooking meal for 15 minutes and thanks for the tip for the glass pan tip