The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

by jerseygirl on September 21, 2008 · 53 comments

I eat way too much on the weekends. I will be so good during the week but then the weekends come and I overindulge. I could blame it on watching football games and another heartbreaking Rutgers loss. Or maybe it was all the bowling we did last night. Hubby and I joined a neighborhood bowling league and it sure made us hungry. Or maybe we just like food. This weekend proved to be filled with fun and food but before I eat my dessert, I like to get some veggies in.

So presenting you with the good, is some baked zucchini sticks served with marinara. I saw these on For the Love of Cooking and just had to make them. I did change the seasonings up a bit. They were just delicious. Who says vegetables have to be fried to be good? Thank you, Pam!

Now we have the bad. And these are so bad for you but taste so good. These donuts are from McMillans Bakery in Haddon Township, NJ. They boast to have the best creme donuts in south Jersey. Light, fluffy, artery clogging cream. Stuffed so much that you can barely finish one donut. Believe me, I can finish one and then take a bite of another!

Finally, the ugly. How about a sink full of dirty dishes? There is not too many things uglier than that. Time for me to go empty the dishwasher and reload.

Parmesan and Herb Baked Zucchini Sticks

Cooking spray
2 large zucchini
2 eggs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of dried basil
Dash of dried oregano
Dash of dried parsley
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
marinara sauce to serve with

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cut the zucchini into spears. Combine the panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings then mix thoroughly. Dip the spears into egg then crumb mixture, making sure to coat evenly. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until browned. Cook on broil for the last 2 minutes of baking or until zucchini is browned. Serve with marinara sauce.

Patsyk September 21, 2008 at 6:31 pm

I have the same problem when it comes to weekends… there’s always some occasion that has food involved.

Love the look of those zucchini sticks! Marking those so I can try them sometime. Yum!

Jan September 21, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I saw those zucchini sticks and thought they looked yummy too. And the donuts look very naughty, but sooo nice.

hot garlic September 21, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Lol Lisa! I’ll take a large order of the bad, I’ve already got the ugly going in my sink too! Those donuts look great. Mouth is offically watering.

I love zucchini sticks too, those look great!

Lucy September 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm

The “GOOD” is sooo good!!

The “BAD” OMG are sooooooo BAD!!

I the “Ugly” is why we have men… in my house anyways !!! 🙂

Clumbsy Cookie September 21, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Lol! Good luck with the dishes! Zucchini stick look so delicious Lisa!

Janine September 21, 2008 at 8:43 pm

I am definately making those zucchini strips! Love that they’re baked:)

Michele September 21, 2008 at 9:37 pm

the zucchini sticks look yummy! but my vote is for the cream donuts!!

Patti September 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I’m glad you found my blog! I am gonna look your over when I have more time. May I add you to my blog roll?

Sharon September 21, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Everything looks so tasty (well, uh except for the dishes!) 🙂 I eat too much on the weekends as well…it’s usually like a never ending food party. Oh well.

Aggie September 21, 2008 at 11:23 pm

I feel the same way about weekends! We just like food too much!

Those zucchini sticks look great. I’ve been wanting to make those, just bought some zucchinis at the farmers market so maybe I will. Thanks for posting the recipe again!

I despise dirty dishes!

Mary Ann September 21, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Those zucchini sticks look soo good! I have been wanting to try that sort of recipe all summer! I better hurry!

Pam September 22, 2008 at 1:11 am

Great post. The donuts make my mouth water. The zucchini looks fantastic…I will try it with panko next time – thanks for the shout out.

My dirty dishes are so ugly too. UGH!

1215656559s20768 September 22, 2008 at 8:37 am

I made chicken fingers the exact same way theother day and also served them with Marinara. I’ve never thought about Zucchini.

Yes, weekends are hard for me, too.

Adam September 22, 2008 at 8:54 am

I agree Football season is detrimental to our waist lines, but what the heck, it’s getting colder anyways. Just wrestle and play your own football then 🙂

Nice food all around, the donuts creamy goodness totally got at me

Mary September 22, 2008 at 9:14 am

You are a siren luring us all to the shoals. Ah, well…better to die happy! Looks great.

Prudy September 22, 2008 at 10:25 am

Love your post and the title and movie reference. I’ll stick with the good and give those zukes a try.:)

Paula September 22, 2008 at 10:56 am

What a fun post! I love the Clint Eastwood photo, and the tie in to good, bad, and ugly! Those zucchini sticks look terrific; Pam is such a great cook, isn’t she?! I enjoyed reading this post … I’m still smiling!

Maria September 22, 2008 at 11:23 am

I know what you mean. I try to eat healthy during the week but on the weekends I tend to splurge way too much!! I just can’t pass up tasty food!!
Your zucchini sticks look great! Can’t wait to try them!

Bridgett September 22, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I love these! They make for great party food. I would have a hard time staying away from the bakery with those beautiful donuts calling to me each time I went by. What is it about weekends that makes your diet go straight out of the window? It does it to me every week.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen September 22, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Sometimes you just have to be bad! I tend to slack on the weekends too! That zucchini looks fabulous! 🙂

Colleen September 22, 2008 at 12:52 pm

These look delicious…I can’t wait to try them as a side dish or quick appetizer!

Beth September 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Don’t we all eat too much at the weekend!!! These parmesan and courgette sticks sound great

The Blonde Duck September 22, 2008 at 3:36 pm

I love those zuccini slices! I needed something to break up the tedium of the grill!

Mrs. L September 22, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one who overdoes it a bit on weekends…but isn’t that what weekends are for?

Jeena September 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Hey I love the new look!

Those zucchinis look really tasty.

Alli411 September 22, 2008 at 5:53 pm

YUM! I love zucchini sticks. It’s certainly a challenge to be a foodie and not over eat. There are just so many yummy foods to choose from.

The Food Hunter September 22, 2008 at 6:00 pm

I have the same issue when the weekend finally rolls around. It’s bad…but it’s fun. Those zucchini sticks look good.

Jessica September 22, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Those zucchini sticks look so yummy…and I still have zucchini hanging around!!! Please, please join in on the Soup Swap next month!

Amber September 22, 2008 at 9:43 pm

This is an absolutely great post. I love all 3 parts.
The frozen lemon mousse was actually for a family birthday party for 36 people in Napa and it was wonderful. I had been testing it beforehand and was gone for 5 days working on the party.

That Girl September 22, 2008 at 10:11 pm

This is one of the recipes I recommend to my friends who don’t like veggies!

Leslie September 22, 2008 at 10:20 pm

A weekend overeater???Yup,that me!!!
thanks for your comment on my oreo turkeys..they are super fast to put together and the kids get a kick out of them!!

Emily September 23, 2008 at 2:02 am

Sounds like a delicious weekend! I love that movie! (Clint . . . thats all I can say!)

EAT! September 23, 2008 at 7:04 am

I was meaning to make the zucchini sticks – they look so good without the frying.

I’d eat all the donuts with no problem. Being a University of Illinois grad, I have suffered through many years of football mediocrity.

Katie September 23, 2008 at 7:08 am

Oooh! I totally want to make these! I LOVE zuchinni sticks but they are so bad for you. Not these! Sounds like something we’d love! 🙂

Robin Sue September 23, 2008 at 7:46 am

I miss South Jersey. I lived in Voorhees. Now the funny thing, I have a post coming out tomorrow talking about my Western theme Supper Club and at the bottom I wrote The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Great minds think alike!!

alexandra's kitchen September 23, 2008 at 8:42 am

oh yum! These sound awesome. And what a nice change from the usual fried stuff. I eat way too much on the weekends, too. and drink. and do everything but exercise. alas!

NatNibbles September 23, 2008 at 9:06 am

Those look really yummy! I’m a big overindulger on the weekends too. Everything is way too tempting.

Deborah September 23, 2008 at 10:19 am

Those donuts look so good, but the zucchini sticks are what are really catching my eye right now!!

Dawn September 23, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I pig out on the weekends too, but then I work my ass off in the gym and walking during the week.
I hate to count calories and I really really really hate to diet. So I just exercise a ton so I can eat almost anything I want, in some moderation.
Those donuts are too delish!! Oh that is scary.

Maria September 23, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Lisa those doughnuts look seriously good! But right now I would have to settle with the zucchini sticks as I’m trying to lose lbs from over indulging at weekends..lol

Maria
x

Reeni September 23, 2008 at 6:11 pm

Those zuchhini sticks look really good, I like that you baked them. And those donuts look so fat and plump and delicious!!

Tanya September 23, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Weekends are hard! Still, I say that’s what they’re made for. What’s life without treats and fun?

Those doughnuts look divine!

Annie September 23, 2008 at 7:51 pm

I do exactly the same thing. So much so that I gain about 3-4 pounds every weekend. Then I spend all week trying to lose the weight I gained. On Friday I usually go back to normal and then the whole cycle starts again. ;P

cookienurse September 23, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I just wanted to say I like your new format!

~Priscilla~ September 23, 2008 at 10:44 pm

those donuts are sooo good looking!! dirty dishes aren’t fun, but once i do them – it feels much better!

Jenny September 23, 2008 at 11:16 pm

What a great post. I am loving all those great recipes and those donuts are soooo calling my name right now. I’m looking at my “ugly” right now dreading getting to them!

Emiline September 23, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Ewww. I hate doing dishes!

The zucchini sticks look awesome, as well as the donuts.

Dee September 24, 2008 at 2:48 am

Ha ha. I’m good for some bad, thanks!

Debbie September 24, 2008 at 7:14 am

The zucchini looks good and the donuts look absolutely fantastic…I want one of those right now!!!!

Candy September 24, 2008 at 9:50 am

Yummy food! I always eat way too much on the weekends too. And when you add in the wine, well there goes my diet!

Sweet Freak September 25, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Oh, the bad looks divine!!

Mrs. Mandy September 25, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Yummy yummy yummy! Thanks for finding me on Foodbuzz! Good to know you. I am so making the baked zucchini sticks. Hungry!

lovefrom1stbite September 25, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Those sticks look really delish. I guess I’ll have to try them tomorrow. Thanks for sharing Lisa 🙂