Omelet for One

by jerseygirl on September 24, 2008 · 26 comments

I have a bunch of recipes in my back pocket just waiting to be posted. Actually, they’re on the microwave scribbled on a little piece of paper. If you saw my last post, you know I ate a lot this past weekend. It was not just donuts and zucchini sticks. So in the next few days, I will be posting some fabulous recipes. Hubby and I took a visit to the Italian market in Philadelphia but you will hear more about that the next time you visit.

Now, I will tell you about my breakfast for one. I love eggs. There is so much you can do with them and they can be a great base for a healthy meal. Just don’t use too much butter or load them up with bacon, sausage and cheese. The sad thing is my husband and six year old won’t go near an egg. Luckily I can share my egg dishes with my daughter. So I don’t make a casserole or quiche often, because I will eat most of it myself. Instead, I make an omelet for one or two people.

My neighbor, Cynthia has a wonderful garden. She shares the bounties of her garden with lucky me. She grows wonderful vegetables and herbs. The other day she brought over these cute little seasoning peppers. I looked them up on the internet and found that they are also called Cuban seasoning peppers or Tobago seasoning peppers. They look like a miniature bell pepper and have a sweet flavor with citrus overtones. The seeds supply most of the heat while the actual pepper is quite mild. Aren’t they pretty?

I decided to use these adorable looking peppers in an omelet. I had half of a small zucchini and some sharp provolone cheese which I wanted to use up. Put them all together and you have a nice omelet. Enjoy! Stay tuned for my next post which will be a visit to Philadelphia.

Italian Garden Omelet

1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 seasoning peppers, chopped (or 2 TBS chopped red pepper)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1 tsp Italian seasoning
cooking spray
2 eggs
1 TBS water
salt and pepper to taste
2 thin slices sharp provolone cheese
In a small nonstick omelet pan, heat the oil on medium and saute onions, peppers, and zucchini until starting to brown (about 5 minutes). Add the Italian seasoning and reserve the mixture to a plate. Use a fork to beat the eggs and water in a small bowl. Spray the pan with cooking spray and pour the egg mixture and give it a good swirl so that they spread out thinly across the entire pan. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper and let them set, this happens quickly depending on the heat of your pan (about one minute). Add the veggie mixture to one half of the omelet and top with cheese. Run a spatula underneath the omelet and turn over half to cover the filling. Cook on low for another minute or two or until cheese is melted. Remove and transfer to a plate.

Peter M September 24, 2008 at 4:45 pm

That there is a good meal, peppers are so sweet right now.

Candy September 24, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I love omelets! I’ve never heard of those peppers. I’ll have to look for them.

Veronica September 24, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I love omelets too-usually cheese omelets…but your veggie one sounds great!

Clumbsy Cookie September 24, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Lisa, I love the Italian Market in Philly! I can’t wait to hear about it! Cute little peppers, and your omelette is just perfect looking!

That Girl September 24, 2008 at 6:59 pm

The melting cheese has me drooling!

1215656559s20768 September 24, 2008 at 7:00 pm

This looks almost like a cheesy quesadilla. I love omelets.

Mary September 24, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I love omelets and this veggie one sounds great.

Lucy September 24, 2008 at 9:57 pm

I haven’t heard of those peppers either, they sound so good… I too enjoy my eggs!! As soon as my eggs get a cooking, my little Kayla (she’s a Maltese) comes running and yes I’ve cooked one for her too! 😉

Janine September 24, 2008 at 10:04 pm

These look delicious. I love eggs but my hubby and one son do not as well. My daughter and I will just have to eat them up:)

Can’t wait to hear about the Italian Market in Philly. Do you know if it’s by any speedline staions?

Patsyk September 24, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Your omelet looks wonderful! It’s so nice that you have someone willing to share their garden “extras”!

Stacey Snacks September 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Lisa,
Looking forward to some Italian market recipes.
I LOVE eggs too. I have to eat an omelet everday or I just don’t feel right.
I love egg salad too.
Stacey

Sara September 24, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I love a good omelet, especially with vegetables.

Pam September 25, 2008 at 12:49 am

A perfect omelet… Nothing better for breakfast in my opinion. It looks lovely Lisa – especially all the cheese oozing out.

Jan September 25, 2008 at 12:50 am

Those peppers look lovely, as does your omelet. How can anyone not like eggy things?

Jenny September 25, 2008 at 2:38 am

Love peppers in my omelets! I’ve got a fridge full just waiting for your recipe!

hot garlic September 25, 2008 at 3:11 am

I’m so craving omelets now! Those peppers are so cute, I’m a sucker for anything cute and little. I would love to have a neighbor who grew those and shared -lucky you!

Michele September 25, 2008 at 6:17 am

I wish that could eat omelets. I don’t know what there is about them that I can’t manage to like them. I love eggs and I love all of the stuff that goes into an omelet…but not the omelet its self. I think I will try something along this line this morning….but do the peppers and zucchini as a topping for some fluffy scrambled eggs.

Tanya September 25, 2008 at 7:02 am

That looks like my kind of omelet. I’m a big egg lover. I could eat them daily!

Adam September 25, 2008 at 7:52 am

Mmmm I love the the incredible edible eggs. When I was a kid scrambled was the way to go… now it’s any way.

Yeah totally excited to hear about the trip. You guys are travel fiends 🙂

Prudy September 25, 2008 at 9:38 am

That looks yummy. I often make an omelet for one-once in a while for two if I can convince my little boy to please eat one.

Maria September 25, 2008 at 9:47 am

What a stellar breakfast! The veggies look fabulous!

Dee September 25, 2008 at 10:57 am

I love eggs, and thankfully they feel the same way. I think we may often go hungry if we didn't have a constant stash. Today, the fallback was quiche with frozen puff pastry. The omelette looks great!

By the way, the bugs didnt realy taste of anything. They were just very crispy. I can imagine watching telly, and popping those like M&Ms – then again, maybe not.

Beth September 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm

We love omelets in our house. Lowen could probably live on them!!

Amanda September 27, 2008 at 9:30 am

OMG that looks good! Thanks for sharing that. I make an egg white omelet that I keep meaning to post. This one you have looks fabulous!

Colleen September 27, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for dropping by Dork Chow! This omelette looks yummy. I just bought a bag of those little peppers, they are so cute, and I believe there is also some provolone laying around and I just met a local farmer who sells run-around eggs so I’ll have to get some from her and do this. Local run-around eggs are the only kind I will eat any more, they are soooo much better!

Live.Love.Eat September 30, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Hi there. I came over from Two Peas & Their Pod. I'm from up North – born in Bx, raised in Yonkers. Love these omelets! Love even more eating them for dinner!!!!