Jersey Vegetables At Their Best

by jerseygirl on September 7, 2008 · 23 comments

The other day I mentioned making ratatouille and my children became excited. It was awesome! My little ones would be eating a slew of vegetables. NOT! When they saw me chopping up the vegetables, their excitement began to wane. I don’t know what they thought ratatouille was. Maybe a mile high plate of chocolate covered fruit? All they knew was that it tasted great in the movie. The vegetables mom was making were something to gag over. The husband is not a big ratatouille fan either, so more for greedy me.

In case you are wondering, ratatouille is a traditional French stewed vegetable dish. Typically it is sauteed, but I decided to roast my veggies in the oven. It was a wonderful side dish to pair with chicken but the leftovers were what I was after. They could be eaten on slices of crusty bread or paired with some pasta.

I decided to take a different route and make ratatouille quesadillas. Trying to keep things on the healthy side, I used whole wheat flour tortillas and light Jarlsberg cheese. With the veggies already made, I only needed three more ingredients to complete this appetizer. Since today was game day, it turned into a nice light dinner.

The weather has still been warm and we were spared by Hanna to have only a little rain. The farm markets are still bursting with fresh veggies. Time to go get some more before the supply runs out!

Roasted Ratatouille

1 large zucchini, sliced thin
1 medium size eggplant, peeled and cubed
10 oz sliced mushrooms
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1 red pepper, cut into half inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 TBS fresh chopped parsley
1 TBS dried Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBS olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, tomato, pepper and garlic. Sprinkle on parsley, seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the olive oil and put in a glass baking dish. Bake for about 35 minutes or until vegetables have shrunk and started to brown.

Ratatouille Quesadillas

4 (7 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup roasted vegetables (ratatouille)
1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
oil for greasing pan

Place 1/2 cup veggies on top of a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with another tortilla. Repeat for second quesadilla. Grease a large fry pan with oil and cook quesadillas for about 2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Cut each quesadilla into 6 pieces.

Pam September 8, 2008 at 1:27 am

Looks wonderful. I love roasting vegetables but have yet to make ratatouille. Using it in quesadillas is a great idea!

Clumbsy Cookie September 8, 2008 at 4:36 am

So did the kids liked it? Funny how movies can help the kids get exited with veggies. It’s like when I was small and was compeled to eat spinach because they made Popeye so strong, lol!
I loved the idea of making quesadillas with the leftovers! Really nice Lisa!

Michele September 8, 2008 at 6:52 am

The quesadillas look delicious! I’m actually going to my favorite farmers market over in Wall this morning. I’ve been craving yellow squash all weekend. My parents were very lucky….when I was a child I loved my veggies! My Gran used to make ratatouille and serve it with homemade croutons . Mmmmmmmmm

Lisa September 8, 2008 at 8:44 am

Clumsy,
No, the kids didn’t eat it 🙁
Oh well!

Prudy September 8, 2008 at 8:53 am

Ratatouille with Jarlsberg in a quesadilla?? Sounds fabulous!

Robin Sue September 8, 2008 at 9:36 am

You are smart putting the veggies in a tortilla! My kids would gag too, but maybe in a tortilla they would eat it. Hmmm.

Adam September 8, 2008 at 10:17 am

That’s a great, healthy football food, Lisa. I’m really excited about it, because sometimes finger food can be pretty damaging.

As soon as I read that your kids got excited, I thought about that movie. They should make a movie about cool, talking vegetables. Maybe that’ll help 🙂

Beth September 8, 2008 at 10:21 am

I want some now!! I love quesadillas

Amy @ Thoughts from the Mrs. September 8, 2008 at 10:44 am

oh, those quesadillas look fantastically yummy. MMMMM…I need to make some.

Maria September 8, 2008 at 11:01 am

I love all of your healthy dishes lately! I need to be better!! I know food can still be tasty and healthy…I just like baking too much:)

kat September 8, 2008 at 11:17 am

I love how you can put cheese on anything & it suddenly becomes tempting

Stacey Snacks September 8, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Lisa,
I made quesadillas w/ my leftover eggplant relish…..so yummy. It looks a lot like your ratatouille!
Stacey

Dee September 8, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I like ratatouille, the man loves it, and the little one eats it because he has the DVD. However, the quesadillas look and sound amazing!

John and Lisa Howard-Fusco September 8, 2008 at 12:59 pm

That looks really yummy. Unfortunately, Julian would not even try to eat that. Lisa and I would love it, though. – John

The Blonde Duck September 8, 2008 at 1:53 pm

How creative! I wonder if Disney picked that dish to make kids eat their veggies?

Susan from Food Blogga September 8, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Hi Lisa,
Oh, yours are so much healthier than mine! I’m glad you told me about these though–they look great!

1215656559s20768 September 8, 2008 at 5:01 pm

You’re very clever!

black eyed susans kitchen September 8, 2008 at 7:30 pm

That was a brilliant segue from the basic ratatouille. I will absolutely try the quesadilla’s. Usually the left over ratatouille is teamed up with pasta or a veggie soup. Thanks for the new idea. Susan

Tanya September 8, 2008 at 7:36 pm

How fun and the quesadillas look wonderful! I’ve never made ratatouille (but thought the movie was adorable). Too bad the kids wouldn’t eat it!

hot garlic September 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm

What a great idea for the leftovers! And how could your kids and hubby not like it -it sounds great to me!

That Girl September 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of ratatouille, but the idea of the veggies in a quesadilla is very appealing.

Jan September 9, 2008 at 12:23 am

Your ratatouille looks great, and I love the idea of using it in quesadillas.

Lunch Buckets September 14, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Nice idea! We nearly always have leftovers – probably because the measurements are sort of imprecise – anyway, I’m loving this!