Healthy Chocolate Dessert?? Yes!!!

by jerseygirl on September 4, 2008 · 35 comments

As you can see, I am on a health kick. After being on vacation and having ice cream every night for the last week, I really have to make up for my naughtiness. I was craving chocolate but really didn’t want the extra fat, calories and sugar to go with it. So I came up with this light and healthy chocolate mousse. It has no dairy or sugar and is very low in fat. So go indulge!

I won’t tell my kids the secret ingredient but I will let them have some for breakfast. Imagine that……chocolate mousse for breakfast. Dad may be great because he gets the chocolate cake(remember Bill Cosby?) but Mom gives everyone dessert for breakfast.

Can you guess the secret ingredient? Well here goes…….

Yes, tofu! And better yet, low fat tofu. It makes the mousse creamy and smooth. You could add sugar if you’d like, but I thought Splenda gave it a nice sweetness without the calories of sugar. Make sure you serve it chilled. It tastes much better that way. Enjoy!

Healthy Chocolate Banana Mousse

12.3 oz package low fat firm silken tofu (I used Mori-Nu)
2 ripe bananas
3 packets Splenda
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

In a food processor, process tofu and bananas until smooth. Add Splenda and cocoa powder and blend until creamy. Refrigerate before serving.

RecipeGirl September 5, 2008 at 12:17 am

Well then, you won’t want to visit my blog. I’ve been doing some evil desserts lately!! Good for you on your health kick!

Clumbsy Cookie September 5, 2008 at 4:39 am

You did great Lisa! It’s nice to have the option of having a treat, without the guilt! It’s vegan and all! I bet your kid will think you’re the best for letting him have mousse for breakfast! If only he knew, lol!

hot garlic September 5, 2008 at 5:59 am

Yeah, it’s like that after a vacay isn’t it. You sure have been busy since you got back! I still have suitcases on the floor 3 days later and you’ve posted and cooked everyday!

Beth September 5, 2008 at 7:16 am

im on a diet to try and fit into a dress for hubbys dads wedding! im craving sweet things so im going to try this

Prudy September 5, 2008 at 9:37 am

Excellent use of healthy ingredients. Yum! It’s so great when you can eat healthful and not suffer.

kat September 5, 2008 at 10:53 am

what a great healthy take on pudding

Candy September 5, 2008 at 11:07 am

YuM! I’m going to give this a try.
I love dessert for breakfast! Last week I made the boys chocolate chip cookies because I didn’t have anything else. They thought I had totally lost it!

Adam September 5, 2008 at 11:24 am

That’s an awesome diet food dessert! I wish I thought of something like this back when I was getting ready for a competition. It would of helped keep my sanity 🙂

Hey and good game last night… I was rooting for Big Blue. I have Giants D on my fantasy, and they are the real deal.

Now I’m just pumped for Sunday 🙂

Kelly September 5, 2008 at 11:45 am

Thanks for checking out my blog and now I’ve checked out yours. I already printed the recipe for the banana chocolate chip muffins. Yum!

Sharon September 5, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Wow, great idea! I often have leftover tofu, so I may have to try this!

Maria September 5, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I have never tried tofu in my desserts but I want to. This looks good!! Glad to see the healthy recipes:)

The Blonde Duck September 5, 2008 at 2:12 pm

I’ll have to make this for my husband! The poor dear is trying to watch his waistline but has a terrible sweet tooth–yesterday I caught him polishing off a box of Nilla wafers. This is perfect!

Pam September 5, 2008 at 4:11 pm

What a great way to have a tasty treat but without the guilt. Yum!

Apples and Butter September 5, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I’ve been on a back-to-school healthy kick as well! I’ll have to try this out.

Tanya September 5, 2008 at 8:56 pm

You are so awesome to come up with this. Healthy and Delicious? You have achieved the impossible!

Stacey Snacks September 5, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Aren’t we both supposed to be eating low fat and healthy?
At least one of us is!
Stacey

ChefDruck September 6, 2008 at 12:38 am

I can’t believe they make low fat tofu. How creative! I’m happy you found my blog – fellow New Jerseyite cook. I’ll be back to read some more soon.

Paula September 6, 2008 at 12:56 am

Oh what a great idea! I truly will give this a try! I’m actually a fan of tofu, but I’ve not had anything like this. An added bonus is that it’s a gluten free choc dessert, so my wee one can have it too!

Lucy September 6, 2008 at 6:24 am

Sinning without the quilt, now I like that 😉 and… that looks so yummy!

1215656559s20768 September 6, 2008 at 7:22 am

Keep it coming with all these healthy recipes! I’m listening!-Lorie

Updated Mom ;) September 6, 2008 at 11:04 am

Hi..
Just want to let you know that your blog really rocks – all the cool recipes – certainly spur me on to go to the kitchen more often to whip something healthy and tasty!

Thanks!

Jeena September 6, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Silkin tofu is fabulous is cakes and desserts, your chocolate dessert looks so tempting and creamy, yum!

Dawn September 6, 2008 at 6:35 pm

I’m with you. I’ve been eating way too much ice cream, almost every night for the last 3 weeks. This pudding actually does look good. I’m not a huge fan of Splenda, but I wonder if half the sugar would work?
I’ve used silken tofu for custards. It’s great isn’t it?

Kim September 7, 2008 at 7:26 am

I just had to come by and see what another Jersey girl has been cooking. Your healthy posts balance out my fatty Southern posts!!! I do love tofu though, and will sneak some in my menu.

Dee September 7, 2008 at 10:48 am

Are you serious? Wow.There’s always tofu in the fridge and I’m always naughty so I may just give this a go. Thanks!

Bridgett September 7, 2008 at 2:51 pm

I like the idea of enjoying a rich chocolate mousse without the heavy ingredients. I will have to give this one a try. Looks and sounds delicious.

Mary Ann September 7, 2008 at 7:09 pm

We love, love, love tofu at my house! I am going to have to try this for sure- what a great treat!

Jessica September 7, 2008 at 8:56 pm

If only I had some silken tofu in my house right now I would make some this instant!!! I must buy some tomorrow!

Proud Italian Cook September 7, 2008 at 9:17 pm

I need to be eating this! I don’t think I ever tried tofu in a dessert.

Joie de vivre September 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Lisa,
I’ve been on a smoothie kick as of late. I can’t wait to try this one!

Lisa September 8, 2008 at 8:43 am

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! For those of you not wanting to use splenda, a few TBS of sugar can be substituted.

Katrina September 8, 2008 at 1:43 pm

That looks so yummy! I never buy tofu, but just might have to now!

Maria the healthy eater November 17, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Yuuuummm!! I made this last night and I was not dissapointed! I accidentally added too much cocoa but it was reeaally good. I'm now considering making it with a low fat no sugar chocolate zucchini cake for Christmas. Christmas dessert doesn't have to be fattening ^_^ My only other comments would be the pudding tastes better after spending the night in the fridge. This lets the tofu set a little and brings a better pudding consistency. I stronly recommend this recipe for everyone!

Shelby December 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I have made a tofu pudding with chocolate chips and the same brand of silken tofu. Grumpy LOVED it and didn't know any different! I like how yours has bananas in it!

Aggie December 11, 2010 at 10:03 am

wow Lisa…this is good! I'm still new to using tofu in anything…I bought a pack of extra firm yesterday to try. 🙂 I hear the silken form is good for desserty type stuff!