Got Milk?

by jerseygirl on September 19, 2008 · 30 comments

After the kids were off to school today, I made myself a healthy smoothie. I sat down in front of the TV while reading some blogs on my lap top. (I like to multi task.) I started to watch Live with Regis and Kelly. As I was sipping my smoothie, I heard Kelly say something about a chef that was using breast milk for his recipes. What? In a restaurant? YUCK! I stopped reading to hear more about this. I also stopped drinking my smoothie.

It seems a chef in Switzerland has been using breast milk in his creations. He doesn’t use it straight up though. He mixes it with whipped cream to thicken up the consistency. He sounds like a real boob, doesn’t he? Oh, excuse the pun. I guess he has advertised that he will pay 10 euros per litre of milk to all breast feeding moms. Ladies, get your pumps ready. There is a real money making opportunity here.

It looks like the authorities are not too happy about this. For more information on the story, click here. So what do you think? Would you eat one of his breast milk meals? Personally I find it repulsive but to each his own. I just don’t want to see him in the next “got milk” commercial with his milk mustache and all. So now let’s get back to our smoothie recipe.

I don’t like to eat early in the morning but I know how important breakfast is. So I made this smoothie with wholesome, filling ingredients. I used a frozen banana but if you didn’t plan ahead, you can use a non frozen one. Just add an extra ice cube or two if you like it thick. And feel free to substitute breast milk if that’s your thing.

Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

1 frozen banana, peeled
1 TBS peanut butter
1/4 cup non fat vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup skim milk
1 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Remove any ice chunks. Pour in a tall glass.

Please follow and like us:
Mary September 19, 2008 at 10:59 am

All of which goes to prove ‘if you live long enough ‘there’s nothing you won’t hear’. UGH!!! Your, smoothie, by the way looks great.

alexandra's kitchen September 19, 2008 at 11:32 am

REPULSIVE! but so funny. great story.

your sans-breast milk smoothie sounds divine.

Deborah September 19, 2008 at 11:46 am

How interesting… I don’t think I’d be comfortable drinking someone else’s breastmilk. I bet that would never happen in the US!!

Your smoothie, on the other hand, looks and sounds delicious!

Candy September 19, 2008 at 11:54 am

Yuck, I heard that too. Then the guy who held his breath was preempted by the president. Bummer for him! Hope they reshow it for his sake!

nicole September 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I breast fed my little boy right now and I wouldn’t drink my own breast milk. YUCKY! Thanks for the good smoothie recipe. Looks great!

Maria September 19, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Gross!! I will try your smoothie but with skim milk from the store:)

Patsyk September 19, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Ok, that guy is a bit over-the-top for me… I wouldn’t eat there.

That smoothie sounds like one my boys love. Gotta love smoothies… you can put almost anything in them and they are always yummy!

Clumbsy Cookie September 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm

People don’t know what else to invent… If some chefs were more focused in making tasty things instead of silly invetions, it would be much better. Oh well, pass the smothie, I’m fine with cow’s milk don’t worry…

Mrs. L September 19, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Okay so why do I have this crazy feeling that some crack head mom will think this is a great way to make some money so she’ll sell her milk? Shudder.

Pam September 19, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Yuck! I won’t be eating at that restaurant.

I will however eat at your house. I’ll have one smoothie please… pretty please?

Debbie September 19, 2008 at 3:56 pm

No way would I want a smoothie from that guy. Yours look great!

Paula September 19, 2008 at 3:58 pm

No thank you!! Oh my gosh, I don’t quite know what to say here. Eewww. I’ve heard of women who donate their breast milk for feeding babies, and that seems okey dokey, but this … eeww. I don’t even want to know how he came up with this concept.

On the other hand, your choco banana peanut butter smoothie would satisfy everyone! My kids are ALWAYS asking for smoothies, and they love “bendy” straws. YUM!

The Blonde Duck September 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm

That breast milk thing is nasty. (Shuddering)

Dawn September 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm

OMG, what horrible timing eh?
I would have lost my smoothie for sure. Good thing you have a stronger stomach than I.
Also, you were very lucky to go to the Martha Stewart show.
What great gifts too.
I didn’t know that about Perez Hilton…that’s too much sitting for me too.

Adam September 19, 2008 at 7:02 pm

Well, colostrum IS good for you… as a BABY though 🙂

I’m good with old regular milk, thanks. Nice smoothie by the way… frozen bananas are like candy, dude 🙂

Oh, and go Rutgers!

Julie September 19, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Darn, too bad I stopped lactating years ago…Just kidding! I do wonder how much 10 euro’s is. Okay, enough of that…great looking smoothie,and I’m not really into smoothies! Thanks

Aggie September 19, 2008 at 7:40 pm

That is bizarre. I just don’t get it!

Your smoothie sounds great though, that is my kind of smoothie!

Prudy September 19, 2008 at 9:25 pm

Oh boy, it’s enough to make you eat at home for the rest of your life.

Reeni September 19, 2008 at 9:27 pm

That is really gross, but your smoothie isn't! I have been making PB & banana smoothies everyday for like two weeks now! I have a serious addiction going on. You have given me the great idea to freeze my banana! Elvis would be proud of us!

Robin Sue September 20, 2008 at 8:21 am

I heard a story where a gal asked her husband to get the cream from the frige and pour it in the soup. He did and after serving it to guests she went into the kitchen to find he had poured in breast milk. She was mortified and probably took that secret to her grave!! It’s good enough for my babies but I’ll pass! Great looking smoothie!

Jeena September 20, 2008 at 9:16 am

I have heard of this before, recent on UK tv there was a documentry about it. I think I’ll stick to other milks thanks….

Great smoothie though. 🙂

ChefDruck September 20, 2008 at 11:25 am

Lisa, That looks delicious! My kids would love this in the morning – I’m going to try it. Thanks for sharing! I’m adding you to my blogroll.

Vanessa/Chefdruck

That Girl September 20, 2008 at 6:40 pm

That’s SO gross!

Janine September 20, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Gross, but good smoothie, need to make it for my kids.

I’m a jersey girl and mom as well:)

Jenny September 21, 2008 at 2:10 am

Ok, you’ve got to be kidding. This is just sick, but really funny! Love the post!

giz September 21, 2008 at 9:27 am

Although I adore morning smoothies, the thought of breast milk smoothies just makes me go eeeeuuuuwwww. I understand the underlying thinking about the health promotion but honestly, let me pay you for your breast milk is just a tad over the top. Besides, if I had it to give, I’d rather donate it to a hospital for babies who’s mothers are unable to breastfeed.

Beth September 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Theres this guy from the band Blur who used to use his wifes breatmilk for coffee and tea if he ever ran out of the ordinary stuff!!!

Tanya September 21, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Oh my. That is so so disgusting.

However, your smoothie looks positively awesome. Anything w/peanut butter in it is awesome in my book!

Allie September 22, 2008 at 11:20 am

Makes me not want to taste any of my friends food when they say “taste this”. Get’s an A for inventing something new, just a little too far over the line for me to want to try it.

Katrina September 23, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Such simplicity, yet my three favorite things together–chocolate, banana, pb! I’ll pass on the breast milk. I don’t even think I could drink my own, let alone an unknown donors!

Comments on this entry are closed.