Peaches Everywhere

by jerseygirl on August 24, 2008 · 23 comments

We have had some amazing weather lately. Friday was the perfect day to go to one of the farms and pick our own peaches. So that is exactly what we did. What? In NJ? They have farms there? Yes, believe it or not, NJ has many farms where you can pick your own produce. As crowded as this state is, we still have room for some trees, farms and plenty of fresh produce. You’ve heard me talk about the tomatoes and blueberries but let’s talk about the peaches. Big, juicy peaches that look like they’re on steroids. Look at these and you will not call me a liar. They look giant compared to a regular sized apple.

The kiddos went overboard on the picking. Mom said no more but some sneaky peaches made their way into our bags. There were smiles everywhere, especially after getting ice cream at the farm. They even had frozen peach custard. We took our twenty pounds of peaches home, gave some to the neighbors and made peach sorbet.

This sorbet is as simple as it gets. It tasted so good! I still have quite a few peaches left so I might make another batch of sorbet. I also might try using Splenda for a low calorie treat.

Simple Peach Sorbet

4 to 6 large peaches (should equal 4 cups chopped)

1 cup reserved water

3/4 cup sugar

juice from 1 small lemon

Submerge the peaches in a large pot of boiling water for about one minute. Let peaches cool and slip off skins. Pit and chop peaches. Reserve 1 cup of the boiling water in a small pot and add sugar. Simmer on low until liquid is reduced by half. Let cool. Add the peaches, sugar water and lemon juice to a food processor. Puree until smooth. Cool in the refrigerator for half an hour. Add to ice cream maker and follow maker’s instructions. Freeze for a few hours for firmer consistency.

Clumbsy Cookie August 25, 2008 at 5:50 am

Gorgeous peaches Lisa! It sounds so much fun go pick your own! The sorbet is lovely and perfect to use those juicy peaches!

Beth August 25, 2008 at 6:17 am

Ive never seen peaches looking so big!! They must be so juicy. Love the peach sprbet. Am bookmarking this one

Jeena August 25, 2008 at 7:54 am

This is so delicious I have never had a peach sorbet before, oh how I wish I could try yours! Beautiful recipe yum!

mkt610 August 25, 2008 at 8:32 am

wow those peaches look great! I think I may have to go and pick some, and if I’m feeling daring I’ll definately try out your sorbet 🙂

Allie August 25, 2008 at 8:36 am

MMM looks great and so simple to make too! The peaches look wonderful, sounds like ya’ll had a great time picking them.

Patsyk August 25, 2008 at 8:46 am

Looks like a fun day peach picking! You are too funny mentioning that yes, we do have farms here in the Garden State! LOL! Most people don’t realize it, do they?

Your sorbet looks like the perfect ending on a warm day… which I hear today is the last warmer day of the week… kind of strange for August!

Prudy August 25, 2008 at 9:20 am

Look how cute your kids are! The peaches are round and gorgeous, but your little ones steal the show. I’d love that sorbet.

Annie August 25, 2008 at 9:57 am

Wow, 20 lbs. That’s a lot of peaches! The sorbet looks so good, I can almost taste it!
Glad you had a peachy weekend 😉

Pam August 25, 2008 at 11:22 am

What a simple recipe that looks fantastic. I love peach ice cream but have never had sorbet. What a fun day spent at the farm with your kids.

Maria August 25, 2008 at 11:55 am

Utah peaches are so good right now. I bought some over the weekend, I will try to save some for this recipe. Your sorbet looks so refreshing!

Lisa August 25, 2008 at 12:51 pm

this sounds so good – I love u-pick anything!

Lori August 25, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Great looking peaches! I love those kinds of pick your own fruit farms. Those aren’t common around here though. I’ll have to enjoy the experience through your post! 🙂

Adam August 25, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Ha you really are the Jersey Peach 🙂 Sorry, really corny right? Anyways they look really awesome, steroids or not 🙂

Did you change your layout recently? I like the colors

Dawn August 25, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Oh there are so many things you can make with peaches. I have been itching to make a peach pie.
Your sorbet looks so delish. I love the gentle taste of peach in sorbet.
If you ever make peach ice cream, add some chopped up cooked pie crust or chopped up graham crackers to it. Delish!!!

Katrina August 25, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Yum! I’m loving peaches and nectarines right now and will be sad when season is over. The ice cream looks great!

Mrs. L August 25, 2008 at 5:47 pm

It’s been so hit and miss on the peaches at my local farmers market. I keep trying different stands to find one that actually has tasty peaches. Your peaches look wonderful!

Amy August 25, 2008 at 7:25 pm

mmmm!! I think I still have a few peaches left!!

Candy August 25, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Ah were in South Carolina know our peaches and those look awesome! Our farmers are having some problems because the winters haven’t been cold enough for the peach tress. Hopefully, they’ll be able to develop some new varieties that will thrive here too.

Jan August 25, 2008 at 11:21 pm

That looks so refreshing. Our peaches have mostly been eaten by the birds or the bugs, but we did get some from one of my husband’s work mates and they are fabulous. I will have to try this.

Mary Ann August 25, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Oh, so yummy. I am totally craving this! Peaches are so delicious at this time of year!

Aggie August 26, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Wow, beautiful peaches! I love picking my own produce, I experienced it for the first time this year with strawberries, we came home with over 12 lbs one morning!

Your sorbet looks so refreshing! I want some now!

Chocolate Shavings August 27, 2008 at 11:11 am

Summer peaches are amazing, so I can only imagine how good the sorbet must have been!

Jaime August 30, 2008 at 11:51 pm

mmmm i love peaches! sorbet is a great healthy way to enjoy them too! looks great!