My Welcome to Middle Age

by jerseygirl on August 11, 2008 · 30 comments

This past weekend was my birthday. My daughter picked out the flowers. Easy for her to say life is cool when you are approaching 11. Now I won’t tell you how old I am but the hint is that I welcomed in middle age. Argggh, boo hoo! Pass me my reading glasses and extra strong face lift cream. Actually, I went to the eye doctor today. My reading vision is fine and I have always been very near sighted (blind as a a bat). But my vision has improved slightly. Did I tell you I also ran 3 miles today? Oh and my husband bought me a new lap top which will be hooked up on Thursday. So lets hear it for the middle years!

My two children decided to plan a little surprise. First we had balloons….

and streamers……

and my favorite Carvel ice cream cake.

But it couldn’t be complete without the chicken dance. Below is a card my kids bought. You open it up and the chicken dance plays. The funniest thing was watching my two cutie pies dance the chicken dance in unison. Kind of like synchronized diving which I watched on the Olympics last night.

I also bought myself a little present.

I have been dying to make homemade ice cream so we finally did. I went with the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker attachment because you don’t need a lot of storage space. The main bowl can be stored in my deep freezer. It worked great and I was able to use a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond. We went with the classic vanilla. This recipe is simple and not real rich. It reminded me of Bryers ice cream. You will definitely see more ice cream recipes in the future.

Vanilla Ice Cream

1 can(14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups milk(2%)
1 cup half and half
1 TBS vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Put in ice cream maker and follow instructions. Freeze for a few hours before serving if you would like a harder consistency.

Aggie August 11, 2008 at 10:11 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Sounds like it was wonderful! I love all your presents…but especially your new ice cream maker! I just bought one this weekend, I was looking for the KitchenAid attachment but couldn’t find it so I settled with the Cuisinart one which I am happy with. Isn’t homemade ice cream the best! I’m going to be trying your vanilla!

Enjoy the rest of your birthday week! : )

Jenny August 12, 2008 at 12:06 am

Happy birthday Lisa. Your daughter is so sweet! Hope you have a great rest of your week. I am in the market for a “cool” ice cream maker so I can indulge in my own gooey ice cream. Yours looks great!!

Jan August 12, 2008 at 12:14 am

Birthday greetings, Lisa. And many happy ice creams! 🙂

Clumbsy Cookie August 12, 2008 at 5:39 am

Happy happy birthday dear Lisa! I bet middle age will suit you wonderfully! Can’t wait to see all your ice-cream creations!

Debbie August 12, 2008 at 7:26 am

Happy Birthday from another “middle ager.” Seems that everyone is making ice cream lately. I have never made homemade ice cream but I think I will give it a try!!

EAT! August 12, 2008 at 8:06 am

Happy Birthday Lisa!

Isn’t fun to buy yourself birthday gifts? I recently bought myself an ice cream maker – watch out!! It is addicting.

Birdie August 12, 2008 at 8:30 am

Happy B-day Jersey Girl! Hope you have many more!

I’ve been wanting to try homemade icecream, I’ll have to get an attachment for my mixer as well. This looks really easy!

Stacey Snacks August 12, 2008 at 8:41 am

Lisa,
Happy Birthday. Now you can have your midnight snack and wake everyone up while making it!!! (with your new ice cream maker!).

Enjoy! You are getting younger!
Stace

Lorie August 12, 2008 at 9:08 am

Happy birthday! I sooo want the ice cream maker attachment.

Nice simple vanilla ice cream recipe.

Sharon August 12, 2008 at 9:09 am

Happy Birthday!! You’ve got yourself quite a sweet family. I NEED an ice cream maker. I’ve been tempted for weeks now by all the delicious recipes like yours.

Beth August 12, 2008 at 9:27 am

Happy birthday. Looking forward to new ice cream recipes from you! Have a great week

Tanya August 12, 2008 at 9:40 am

Happy Birthday! I want that ice cream maker too! It looks great.

Glad you had a special day!

Allie August 12, 2008 at 11:19 am

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great time and great memory making moments. Best wishes for the rest of the week as well as the coming year. Can’t wait to see some award winning ice cream recipes!

Adam August 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday! You run AND you can use a computer? Hahaha… just kidding. You’re only as old as you act and want to be.

Congrats on all your presents and your ice cream maker 🙂

Pam August 12, 2008 at 12:04 pm

I love vanilla ice cream…of course other flavors are wonderful too but there is just something so perfect about vanilla ice cream. Happy birthday!

Patsyk August 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like you had quite the celebration! Cool ice cream maker… I can’t believe I didn’t know there was an attachment for my kitchenaid for making ice cream – that is SO cool!

Bridgett August 12, 2008 at 12:44 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!

Sounds like you enjoyed a perfect day, as it should be! I love it when the kids decorate for birthdays, it makes you feel well loved, doesn’t it?
I still have yet to make any ice cream this summer, mainly because it is so addicting. You are going to have a blast with your new attachment.

Thanks for sharing your special day with us!

Paula August 12, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Happy Birthday! Your kids really did a great job in highlighting your day! Love the card, and the ice cream (and maker)looks great!

Jeena August 12, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!

Looks like you had lots of fun. The ice cream is gorgeous. I love the balloon. 🙂

Prudy August 12, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Happy Birthday! I’m glad you finally got some homemade ice cream. Running sure makes you feel like you’re cheating Father Time, doesn’t it?

Leslie August 12, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Happy Birthday! I am so very jealous you got a KA ice cream attachment! That is on my Christmas list!

Kevin August 12, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Happy birthday! I am looking forward to more ice cream posts.

hot garlic August 12, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Happy Birthday! Lisa, you are just too cute. I love your profile pic. You just look so sweet and so happy, but at the same time look so fun.

I hope your day was great!

Allie August 13, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Did you see this on the contest website? Deadline is Aug 18th and there’s only 2 entries so far! Better get to whipping up some tasty recipes, you got my vote.

Mrs. L August 13, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! Love the new ice cream maker. Have a wonderful “birthday month”.

Leah August 14, 2008 at 12:08 am

Lisa, am I right in welcoming you to the same club I recently joined?!

Happy birthday!! Looking forward to some awesome ice cream posts….I should dig my ice cream maker out for this weekend. 😉

Katrina August 14, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a great day and fun for you to get an ice cream maker. Ahh, the chicken dance. I always think of the Jimmy Newtron movie. My boys used to watch that movie over and over and over.
Will be waiting for more ice cream recipes.

Rosie August 15, 2008 at 9:09 am

Lisa happy belated birthday wishes – sorry I am late!!

Rosie x

Maria August 15, 2008 at 10:29 am

Happy Belated Birthday Lisa!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Maria
x

Emiline August 16, 2008 at 12:26 am

Happy birthday! I’m jealous of that ice cream cake.