Let’s Go Fishing!

by jerseygirl on August 13, 2008 · 23 comments

My blogging friend Jeena is having a great event this month. It is called Fishing Trip and she will be featuring seafood and fish recipes. I decided to send her this scallop recipe.

Yesterday I was the lucky recipient of some giant fresh scallops. One of my husbands friends gets them fresh off the boat and was kind enough to give us some. Looky, looky…….

Tonight I tried my hand in a 20 minute meal. Hey Rachael(and your 30 minute meals), you have nothing on me. Thirty minutes is enough to make this meal, plus scarf it right down with a full glass of wine. I might even be able to chow down some dessert. Well, maybe not.

These scallops were fresh, quick, easy, and delicious. The Kikoman Ponzu sauce really made the difference. Ponzu sauce is a soy citrus sauce that adds a lot of flavor.

And Rachael, I was only kidding. I really do like Rachael Ray. She has a lot of quick and easy ideas. Thank you Jeena for hosting such a nice event!

Sesame Scallops With Ponzu Spinach

12 large scallops (about 1 1/4 lbs)
2 TBS olive oil

1 TBS butter
1 to 2 tsp garlic powder
fresh ground pepper to taste
12 oz baby spinach (2 bags)
1/4 cup ponzu sauce
a few spoons of sesame seeds
salt to taste

Pat scallops dry with paper towels. In a large fry pan, heat oil and butter to medium heat. Sprinkle scallops with garlic and pepper. Sear scallops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove scallops from pan , keep warm and set aside. Add spinach to pan and cook for a few minutes or until wilted. Add ponzu sauce and mix thoroughly. Place spinach on 4 plates reserving the sauce in the pan. Place 3 scallops on top of each plate of spinach. Top with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Season with salt to taste. Makes 4 servings.

Bridgett August 13, 2008 at 1:40 am

That is perfect you have a friend to give you the scallops, I am envious! I know my hubby would go crazy over these. Great recipe, Lisa!

Beth August 13, 2008 at 5:10 am

You are so lucky to get frsh scallops. They are expensive over here! Great meal. Don’t think I can get Ponzu in UK either, would have to do a DIY (do it yourself) job?!

Tanya August 13, 2008 at 8:06 am

I have never made scallops, but have to admit these look great! I love freshwater fish, but have a harder time eating seafood. I will have to check out your friend’s page and see what she comes up with so I can try it and maybe even like it!

Patsyk August 13, 2008 at 8:28 am

I’ve always been afraid of cooking scallops… hate to mess up something that is so expensive! May have to give them a try as this recipe looks like something I could do easily.

NatNibbles August 13, 2008 at 9:31 am

Looks so delicious! I love Ponzu sauce 🙂

Lore August 13, 2008 at 9:44 am

Yup, you are one lucky girl. The scallops look so yummy!! Never heard of Kikoman Ponzu sauce before but I’ll be looking for a citrus flavoured soy sauce and see what I can find.

Adam August 13, 2008 at 10:41 am

Wow, I’m jealous at your scallops. I love the big, colossal ones, but they always come in frozen and stuff.

Yours have this awesome crusty goodness on the outside, very nice. Thanks for the tip on the Ponzu, I’ll have to look into it.

And you’re right, here comes Football!

Clumbsy Cookie August 13, 2008 at 10:55 am

Lucky you, those scallops are beautiful! I’ve never had ponzu, but i’m guessing it’s has yuzo in it and that’s good stuff! You did well serving it on a spinach bed, just lovely!

Deborah August 13, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Lucky you – getting fresh scallops! This sounds like a delicious meal!

Stacey Snacks August 13, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I am happy to know that Ponzu sauce comes in a jar, and easy to find. I always have it with my sushi, white tuna in ponzu sauce. Never knew what it was! Thanks Lisa!
Don’t put it on ice cream!
Stacey

Maria August 13, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I love scallops. I usually just saute them with a little olive oil, garlic, and lemon! I will have to try this version.

Sharon August 13, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I absolutely love scallops. They’re second on my seafood-loves list after shrimp.

Veronica August 13, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Oh I’m so jealous! I just love scallops…I need a friend like your husbands!

BTW congrats on Oyster!! Sounds like a good group is going down!

Prudy August 14, 2008 at 11:07 am

That sounds so perfect-ponzu and scallops. YOu’re lucky to get them fresh. That will never ever happen in this land locked state of UT.

Emily August 14, 2008 at 11:59 am

Those scallops look like a delight . . . how nice to get them fresh too! Fresh for us is a plane ride of less than 6 hours!

melissa August 14, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Yours sounds good too Lisa. It’s funny, the day I posted mine, another friend of mine put up a scallop one too. We were within an hour of each other. It’s the time of year I suppose. They don’t take much heat or time.

For a number of reasons, I really need that ponzu sauce. Thanks for the reminder.

Dawn August 14, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Oooh now that’s a good twist on scallops. We eat those all the time here and I love finding new ways. thanks!

Pam August 15, 2008 at 12:08 am

I love scallops and those look big and juicy. I haven’t tried ponzu sauce but it’s now on my shopping list because it sounds great!

Jan August 15, 2008 at 12:58 am

Scallops are as rare as rocking horse sh*te (excuse my French) in Oklahoma. Lucky you, that looks like a great recipe.

Rosie August 15, 2008 at 9:07 am

What luck to have fresh scallops Lisa! Looks so delicious……..mmmmm

Rosie x

Jeena August 15, 2008 at 9:12 am

Wow Lisa you are so lucky getting fresh fish off a friends boat! Your scallops look amazing thank you for the great entry. 🙂

Leslie August 15, 2008 at 10:47 am

Rachel has nothing on you!!!These look great! I soooo wish my family at seafood!!!

Lakeland Jo August 30, 2008 at 10:44 am

I dived straight to the scallops link. It is really hard to get good ones where we live, but I just love them. As Beth says they are so expensive here. Also the Ponzu will be a problem. However we can improvise.
I am coming to Seattle soon and will stock up on these, and McCormick Grill mates which I have read about elsewhere…

Comments on this entry are closed.