A Different Kind of Recipe

by jerseygirl on August 26, 2008 · 24 comments

Usually my recipes are something edible however this time is a little different. I came home tonight to find a very stinky situation in our house. As I was pulling up the driveway, I could detect the distinct smell of rotten sulfur. With a deeper whiff I realized it was skunk. “Oh no”, I thought. They must be in our neighborhood again as a few neighbors had mentioned seeing them at night. As I walked in the door, the smell was getting stronger. “Weird, did I leave the windows open?” I realize that hubby and son are out in the back. I go to the back yard to find my six year old and husband hosing off Maggie, our dog. The smell of skunk is just overwhelming.

I immediately go to the computer and try to find some miracle potion to take out the smell from our poor dog that had been sprayed. The tomato juice thing is a myth and will not get rid of the smell. I don’t have tomato juice anyway but I guess if it really worked I could rub the dog down with some tomatoes from the garden. Bad idea! A bunch of websites give this same solution:

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon dish washing liquid

I mix it all together and my husband washes the dog with it. We dry her off and she comes inside. I still can catch a whiff of that awful perfume so I go to the Internet again to find out that you can also use mouth wash. We try this and the stench is not too bad. The mouthwash antiseptic smell overpowers the skunk smell. Here is the poor doggie with our little bath helper.

Hopefully none of you will have to deal with a stink like this. But if you do, use this recipe. Tomorrow I was planning on packing for our trip to Williamsburg. But now I must bake something first thing in the morning. What do you think would cover up the lingering smell of skunk? Maybe some brownies? Or apple pie? I am thinking the spice in a pie might really work well 🙂

Clumbsy Cookie August 26, 2008 at 5:33 am

Yes go with spices! Poor dog! Isn’t that great we can find almost all the anwers in the internet! Have a nice trip!

Beth August 26, 2008 at 7:23 am

Luckily ive never had the pleasure of smelling a skunk! Poor dog! Poor you. The pie sounds good!! or a bacon sarnie!

Michele August 26, 2008 at 8:25 am

I think that something really spicy would cover up the skunk smell. I’d go for an apple pie. 🙂 There is nothing worse than the smell combination of skunk and puppy. Hope that your house smells nice and fresh by the time you return from Williamsburg. Enjoy your trip!

EAT! August 26, 2008 at 9:15 am

The skunks must be out in full force in NJ! There have been a few that haven’t quite made it across the road near our house in the past couple days. Thankfully, our dogs have been spared so far. Just a quick tip – don’t wash your white dog in tomato juice – it will turn the fur pink!! We learned this the hard way.

Prudy August 26, 2008 at 9:32 am

I don’t mean to laugh, but I can’t believe that you had a skunk. Be sure to write this one down-it has the making of a great kid’s book. Maybe you could stew apples and cinnamon in the crock pot all day? Poor pooch.

Mari August 26, 2008 at 9:39 am

Skunk smell outside is bad enough – on the dog is too much! Glad you found some fixes. Happy cooking and have a great time in Williamsburg!

Glamorous Life of a House Wife August 26, 2008 at 9:40 am

I HATE SKUNKS! Why must they linger for soooo long?! Ugh – nasty.

Pam August 26, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Poor dog…the smell of skunk is just awful. Your little boy is so darn cute!

Aggie August 26, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Oh…skunk! Poor doggie!

I think you and your little helper deserve some brownies or pie!

Leslie August 26, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Oh my goodness! Poor pooch!

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 3:03 pm

We have had this problem before and the only remedy I have found to take the smell out of the house is to boil whole cloves in white vinegar. The steamy fragrance really works. One medium pot might do it. I actually have boiled small pots and sat them steaming in each room to speed up the process.

Veronica August 26, 2008 at 4:14 pm

oh no! I’ve always worried about that happening! We just got back from Williamsburg! Have a great time…are you going to Busch Gardens too?

Dawn August 26, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Awwww poor doggie!
Someone told me to put a pot of apple cider on the stove, add in cinnamon sticks (a bunch) and some other spice, maybe it was clove? I can’t recall, but you simmer this on the stove for like an hour. Don’t boil, just simmer. I’ve done this in the fall because I love the smell. As soon as I leave your site I’ll remember the other spice to add LOL

Bridgett August 26, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Definitely go with the pie! Your poor pup, I hope that smell goes away soon. There is not much worse than skunk.

Amber August 26, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Ewww. Poor puppie. Can you imagine what your dog was thinking. I had a dove get in my house 3 days ago and I just know he was thinking “ahhhhhh cat house cat house”. I am glad to have you in the give away.

Julie August 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm

You are too funny, but I really enjoyed reading this. I can only imagine if this happened at our house–we have TWO dogs!

Stacey Snacks August 26, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Lisa,
We both had posts about rodents today, or wildlife, anyway!
Rotten tomatoes to the skunk!

Robin Sue August 27, 2008 at 1:01 am

Not fish! Ha HA! Poor dog. Mine got sprayed too when we lived at the beach. You are right, tomato juice does not work. Williamsburg is one of our favorite spots. If you need some tips just email me. My email is at the bottom of my blog.

Emiline August 27, 2008 at 5:28 am

Oh no! That’s terrible.

What would cover up that smell? Something really spicy, or chocolate! Or you could fry some donuts. But then your house will smell like grease.

hot garlic August 27, 2008 at 8:48 am

Oh no! How horrible!

On a happier note, that peach ice cream looks amazing!

Jenny August 27, 2008 at 10:33 am

Too funny, we don’t have a dog or many skunks, but I’m so glad your pup got the stink off! I’ll be sure to come here if we get a dog that gets “skunked!” Enjoy your trip!

Maria August 27, 2008 at 10:41 am

What a funny story…or should I say stinky story!!

Katrina August 27, 2008 at 12:18 pm

What a stinky situation! My husband hit a skunk a few days ago and his car stunk. I made him park outside the garage for a few days. Sorry about your dog. That would be even worse than a car. Can’t wait to see what you bake–gingerbread, apple pie, yes, something spicy.

Mrs. L August 27, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Yikes, poor pooch. I have no idea on what works but brownies and a pie for the youngster might help ! Enjoy your trip.