Pigs and Figs

by jerseygirl on July 17, 2008 · 9 comments

What’s with the post title today? Actually, it is what we ate this past weekend. Our family was down at the shore in Wildwood, NJ. We went to the NJ Barbecue Championships and Anglesea Blues Festival. They had great food (if you like meat) and great blues music.

We were somewhat disappointed that you could not purchase food from the actual BBQ teams competing, however there were plenty of other good BBQ vendors there. I found out that certain state laws don’t allow the competitors to sell or even serve their food. Check out some of the ribs we had.

We also tried a brisket sandwich. The barbecue was great and I don’t want my husband’s head to get too big, but his barbecue is just as good. We have a smoker and he knows how to use it.

Now what’s with figs? Well, you know how you have those nights where you just don’t feel like eating a big dinner? It’s a hot day and nothing sounds that great. Or maybe you just don’t feel like cooking. This past weekend, I had one of those. I did have a small carton of figs which seemed appetizing. So I wrapped a few figs in prosciutto, then dipped a few others in chocolate and my dinner was ready. Forget about an entree when you can just have appetizers and dessert. Sorry, the prosciutto ones were gone before a picture was taken but I did manage to capture some chocolate covered figs. It was the perfect lazy wife’s dinner while the kids ate McDonalds!

Clumbsy Cookie July 17, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I first thought when I was reading that you had wrapped the figs in prociuto and then dipped them in chocolate! Now that would have been an interesting thing! I’ve seen bacon dipped in chocolate a while ago, so I wouldn’t be surprised. They look great, I’m sure my mom would kill for them!

Bridgett July 17, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Ah, the barbeque looks delicious!

Kevin July 17, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Figs dipped in chocolate sound good!

Prudy July 17, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Now that is not your regular old lazy dinner! What a way to get dinner and dessert out of figs!

Veronica July 17, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Awesome post title!! We may have to head down to that next year…my h and I love blues!

Paula July 18, 2008 at 12:39 am

Love the clever title! Both fig styles sound great! Would love to hear more about your smoker; I grill often, but have smoker envy whenever I hear about smoked bbq!

Jenny July 18, 2008 at 10:56 am

Mmmm, pigs and figs what a great combo. I’d be soooo all over those chocolate covered figs!

Julie July 20, 2008 at 9:35 am

I love figs wrapped in prosciutto (drizzled with a little balsamic reduction perhaps????) You’re absolutely right–they are perfectly satisfying as a meal during the hot muggy summer. Now, I’ll need to try them with chocolate! I’m envious of your trip down the shore. You can bet that we went every year when I lived in New Jersey. Salt water taffy, custards, great pizza; (sigh!) I miss New Jersey!

Tracy July 22, 2008 at 10:12 am

Those ribs look awesome. I haven’t done ribs yet this year — now I have a hankering!