It is a bit of a dreary day but I am enjoying my lazy Sunday morning. The kids just had some pancakes so they are happy. Hubby went to Restaurant Depot with a neighbor. He is probably buying a side of beef right now , or maybe a 40 pound bag of potatoes. Only kidding. He has always been a meat and potatoes type of guy but I have reformed him to eat lots of vegetables and even hummus. I am still working on the quiche. I have my coffee in front of me and have a few extra minutes to catch up on my blog. I have been meaning to post this pasta recipe which I made over a week ago. I found a nice bag of arugula at Trader Joe’s and wanted to make a pesto sauce with it. I thought it would go well with pasta and scallops. All the summer flavors worked well together. If you are not a seafood person, leave the scallops out. Or try another type of pasta if you prefer it.
Arugula Pesto Spaghetti with Scallops and Grape Tomatoes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 TBS chopped garlic
3 cups arugula
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of red pepper flakes
16 ounces spaghetti
2 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 pounds large diver scallops, patted dry
2 cups grape tomatoes
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 to 1 cup of water used to cook pasta
salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor or blender, process all the pesto ingredients until smooth. Cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of water from the cooked pasta. In a large fry pan, heat oil and sear scallops for a few minutes on each side. Remove scallops and keep warm. Add tomatoes and wine. Cook until tomatoes are softened. Add the pesto mixture and 1/2 cup water or more if sauce is too thick. Cook for a few minutes while stirring constantly. In a large bowl, mix sauce, pasta and scallops. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese. Makes about 6 servings.
Now for some other business………
Beth from Jam and Clotted Cream tagged me and I thought it was fun to read about other food bloggers so below is my meme. I am tagging:
Don’t worry if you can’t play along. Or if you only have a little time , answer just a few of the questions. Have fun!
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATRE? Sex in the City. Loved it!
2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING? Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME? Scrabble
4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE? Cooking Light
5) FAVORITE SMELLS? The shore and tropical suntan lotion.
6) FAVORITE SOUNDS? The ocean. My kids playing nice together.
7) TELL ME ABOUT FOOD. Love to cook, eat and smell it. Italian is my favorite.
8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE? Depends on the day
9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE? Not a fan unless you count Baha Fresh.
10) FUTURE CHILD’S NAME? 2 children is enough
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D……start a non profit business that has to do with food
12) DO U DRIVE FAST? No
13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL? No
14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY? Depends if I’m home alone or not.
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR? Blue Pontiac 6000
16) FAVORITE DRINK? lemonade
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…Fill it up with more things to do. There is never enough time 🙂
18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI? Yes
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOUR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE? I like my current color. (It’s already highlighted)
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN? various places in NJ
21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Football and hockey
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Great blog!
23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED? Spare table board
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN? Yes
25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL? Winter…night owl and summer…morning person
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP? Over easy
27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX? beach
28) FAVORITE PIE? apple
29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Boring vanilla