A Jersey Pie

by jerseygirl on July 27, 2008 · 22 comments

We are back from our vacation in Sea Isle, NJ. I just love the Jersey shore! There is the beach, boating, fresh seafood, amusement pier boardwalks, yummy junk food, nightlife and family atmosphere activities. Just something for everyone. It was a computer free vacation and believe it or not, I watched a total of 10 minutes of TV all week. That happened to be the forecast on the weather channel. So it is time to catch up on my blog and blog reading activities. I also need to watch my DVR’ed TV shows which includes the Next Food Network Star.

I wanted to also mention how much I love all you food bloggers! It is just a great community of nice people that I share similar interests with. Thank you for all the nice comments and being so supportive. I came home to being tagged and to 2 blog awards which I will get to later on this week. Again thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now on to the food! We cooked quite a bit this week but it was easy recipes and lots of grilling. There were also good cocktails and I’ll show you an easy one in my next post. Since I didn’t want to bring my whole kitchen worth of ingredients and spices, things were kept fairly simple. We passed by some awesome produce stands and were able to buy peaches at 2 pounds for a dollar.
A pie had to be made. By no means, is the shore the place to start making pie crust so a frozen one was substituted. Honestly, I use Pillsbury at home anyway because I stink at making home made crusts. So here it is….an easy pie made with fresh fruit from the garden state.

Lattice Jersey Peach and BlueBerry Pie

2 lbs peaches(about 6 to 8), pitted and sliced (peeled if you like)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
3 TBS flour
3/4 cup sugar plus 2 TBS, divided
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 (9 inch) pie crusts (I used the frozen ones in the tin)
2 TBS melted butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix peaches, blueberries, flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and vinegar in a large bowl. Pour fruit into the bottom of one pie crust and cut the other pie crust into strips and form lattice top. Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until fruit is cooked and top is golden brown. Cover top with foil if top crust browns too quick.

Peter M July 27, 2008 at 11:56 am

Please, please, please tell me you pronounce this “Joizey Pie”…if you do, I luv you so!

Beth July 27, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Glad you had a nice time. I don’t make a lot of pies – partly because Im not so good at pastry making and I feel like Ive cheated if I buy a ready made one. This pie looks delicious, I will have to get over my phobia of pastry making and make this!

Leslie July 27, 2008 at 5:50 pm

Oh wow..that looks like a scrumptous Pie!!! Glad you had a great time on your vaca!

Veronica July 27, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Lisa, Welcome back! Glad you had a nice vacation. I’m impressed with your lattice crust…I’ve never attempted one. It’s such a great time to make pies with all the tasty berries out there right now!

Emiline July 27, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I want a Jersey pie! That looks wonderful.

Glad you have a good trip. I’ve always wanted to go to the Jersey shore.

Lori July 27, 2008 at 8:31 pm

First time I’ve seen this fruit combo in a pie…sounds delicious! 🙂

Aggie July 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Welcome back! Sounds like a great place to be on vacation!

What a pie! I bet it tasted fantastic!!

Bridgett July 27, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I’m glad you had a wonderful time on vacation, welcome home! My husband might want to come by and grab a slice of this pie, ok? I am not a good pie maker at all. Hubby calls it Pie-Soup 😉

Annie July 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

I’m actually watching the Next Food Network Star right now. LOL. Not sure who will win, I kind of think they like Aron. Well see.

The pie looks wonderful. I have never heard of putting cider vinegar in the filling before. I bet it really wakes the flavor up. Great idea!

Prudy July 28, 2008 at 12:04 am

What a beautiful pie. I missed your posts while you were away. I kept coming back to oysters saltimboca. I thought maybe you were getting contest busy. I just made my one and only for Bundt tonight. Phew.

Jan July 28, 2008 at 12:13 am

I recently posted about how useless I am at making pastry, at last a soul mate! This looks great, thank goodness for Pillsbury crusts.

Glad you had a good vacation, nice to have you back.

steph July 28, 2008 at 9:09 am

Welcome back!! While in Sea Isle did you happen to eat at the Deuville Inn? That’s one of our favorites as is Smitty’s clam bar in Somer’s Point. Looking forward to some new posts especially some easy drink recipes.
Great blog…keep up the good work!

Deborah July 28, 2008 at 11:41 am

I can’t wait until peaches are in season here. That pie looks amazing!

Jenny July 28, 2008 at 2:43 pm

What a beautiful pie! Glad you had a nice trip! Welcome back!

Jeena July 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm

Sounds like you had a great time Lisa. I love the sea too I could sit for hours just listening to the waves and smelling the salty sea air. 🙂

Your Jersey Pie looks beautiful! I love your ingredients and the pie looks yummy.

giz July 28, 2008 at 7:59 pm

How fun is that pie and I’d be happy eating that any day of the week. I’ll bet you could do just about any combo with it too.

Jeanine July 29, 2008 at 8:30 am

Mmm…peaches & blueberries, sounds delicious! 🙂
BTW, thanks for popping by my blog, I appreciate it!

Lore July 29, 2008 at 8:52 am

The crust has a perfect golden brown. I have yet to try peaches and blueberries together, I’m sure they taste great!

Birdie July 29, 2008 at 12:05 pm

My husband is from Philly and spent a lot of time at his Aunt’s House in Jersey. He also spent a lot of time “Down the shore”. Took me a long time to figure out what he was saying. The pie looks really good. So do the drinks!

Patsyk July 29, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I’m a New Jersey transplant, and going down the shore is one of my favorite parts of living here!

Your pie looks absolutely delicious!

Kevin July 30, 2008 at 8:55 pm

Peaches and blueberries are such a great combo and using them in a pie is perfect.

Dragon July 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Where were you 3 days ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with the peaches and blueberries in my fridge? 🙂 Good looking pie!