The Slacking Cook

by jerseygirl on June 11, 2008 · 11 comments

I really have been a slacker in the blogging and cooking department for the last few days. It has been so hot which is a little unusual for this time of year in NJ. We have been eating sandwiches, salads and at restaurants for the last few days. And lots of water ice. Finally last night, I attempted to make a few side dishes while my nice husband slaved over a hot grill to cook a London Broil. It was still 95 degrees at 6pm. Nothing fancy, but just some steak rubbed in Kosher salt, garlic and rosemary. It was nice to have a real dinner after a few nights of restaurants.

Since it was so hot, we decided to do a fun little experiment. How hot was it? Well, we were thinking it was hot enough to fry an egg on the side walk. So let’s see if that was the case. Below is an egg that was cracked on our black top driveway.

This is the egg after sitting there for about 10 minutes. The yolk slightly started to cook. But the white part didn’t. It was still one runny egg. I guess we weren’t eating sidewalk fried eggs!

So I guess it was not really that hot. But the kids did enjoy getting more than a fair share of water ice. Hope everyone is staying cool!

Robin Sue June 11, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Is that a Rita’s?!! I love Rita’s we are finally getting them down here in VA. I grew up eating Italian Water Ice. Hmm that just may be our dinner tonight. I have never tried to fry and egg on the sidewalk, very funny!

Clumbsy Cookie June 11, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Is that Rita’s water ice? I use to love that stuff! I lived in philadelphia for a while and during the summer Rita was my best friend, plus it having a fozen treat named after me was pretty cool.
Here is so hot as well! I laughed when I saw your experience, guess it wasn’t so hot after all, lol!

Lisa June 11, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Yes, Robin Sue and Clumbsy Cookie. That is Rita’s water ice. It is so good in the hot weather!

EAT! June 11, 2008 at 7:41 pm

We just got a Rita’s in our town!! We are so excited and have spent more than our share of money there.

Veronica June 11, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Oh Lisa, hasn’t it just been so hot?! I’m not used to this in June (or really anytime except when we lived in Mississippi)

Jeena June 12, 2008 at 9:04 am

I had to smile reading this post. We always joke about frying an egg on the pavement when it i shot, looks like you almost did. 😀

RecipeGirl June 12, 2008 at 9:32 am

I’ve heard about the east coast heat wave. Any reprieve yet? Maybe you’re getting it all out of the way before we head back there on vacation!!

Patsyk June 12, 2008 at 11:44 am

Boy, do I hear ya! I couldn’t bear to really cook earlier in the week… even when I was grilling salmon, I was dripping after just 2 minutes outside. Thank goodness it’s cooled down to low 80’s! 😉

Catherine Wilkinson June 12, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Lisa,
Those two are adorable! My youngest son is getting married (gulp) next weekend…I still think he’s about the age of your son!
I live in AZ and can’t imagine how hot it must be for you, with the humidity…here, we have hardly any, something like 6%!
That egg is funny! I’ve always wanted to do that!

Jenny June 12, 2008 at 2:41 pm

What a cute picture of your cutie pies! I remember my sister and I trying to fry an egg on the sidewalk too, never had any luck! Hope you stay cool!

Annie June 12, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Lisa, Nice blog!
I’ve never heard of water ice before it sounds interesting. I wonder why I have never seen it in RI?

BTW, I have always wanted to try frying an egg on the pavement- too funny!