Raisin and Chocolate Flapjacks

by jerseygirl on June 1, 2008 · 15 comments

I am happy to say that I joined a baking group called Sweet and Simple Bakes. See the cute little cupcake picture on my sidebar. I am much more of a cook than a baker so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get better at baking. Our first bake was flapjacks. I have never made these before nor had I even heard of them. I always thought of flapjacks as pancakes. These are very popular in the UK. I would describe them as a bar cookie that tastes like a very rich granola bar.

It was a little tricky measuring ingredients as I didn’t have a scale and had to convert everything from European measurements. I did manage to figure everything out even though I think my measurements were off somewhat. The bars came out fine and my six year old son liked them. The best part of the bake was being able to use Lyle’s Golden Syrup. I have been wanting to try it. This was the perfect time to do so since that is what the recipe called for. Now I will have to find some other recipes to use up the rest of the syrup.

On another note, my blog is also part of The Foodie Blogroll. See this also on my sidebar. The Leftover Queen manages this great resource where you can look at thousands of other food blogs.

Raisin and Chocolate Flapjacks (Makes 12)

Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes

Ingredients
250g butter
100g demerara sugar (I substituted turbinado)
200g golden syrup
250g rolled oats
75g plain flour
100g dried raisins ( other dried fruits can also be used, blueberries, apricots, etc)
100g chocolate, chopped(white, dark or milk chocolate can be used)

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C/ Gas 3. Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper (please do not use greaseproof).Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large pan over a low heat (stirring occasionally), until the butter and sugar have completely melted.Add the rolled oats, flour and cranberries to the pan, and stir together well. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then mark into 12 squares – but don’t cut all the way through. Allow to cool in the tin completely.Melt the white chocolate and drizzle over each bar.(When melting chocolate you use a heatproof bowl over a low simmering saucepan of hot water but making sure the water is not hitting the bottom of the bowl.)

Rosie June 1, 2008 at 5:22 am

Hi Lisa, Oh my goodness your flapjacks look amazing!! You really have done yourself proud!! Awe pleased your son enjoyed them too πŸ™‚

Many thanks for partaking in this month’s bake. I do hope you will be partaking in our next bake at sweet & simple bakes πŸ™‚

Rosie x

Maria June 1, 2008 at 11:56 am

Hi Lisa

Wow oh wow your flapjacks turned out just great, yummy!!

Thanks for taking part and hoping you will join us again in our next bake ;o)

Maria
x

Jeena June 1, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Lisa, any mention of raisins and I am there! These flapjacks look so lovely I could just take one out of th epicture and eat it up. πŸ™‚

giz June 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Your flapjacks do look like they held together better than mine. I think I need to get a scale. Did you like the taste? I found them pretty sweet.

Kelly-Jane June 1, 2008 at 4:41 pm

They look so good, and with raisins and dark chocolate too – yum yum! Well done πŸ™‚

Prudy June 1, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Lisa:
The bars look and sound super yummy. It’s fun to bake such a wide variety of things.

Tanya June 1, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Those look great! I’ve never seen those before. Can’t wait to try them. Great blog!

Chawanmushi June 1, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Hi Lisa
I must say your flapjacks look yummylicious! I love to use Lyles Golden Syrup too especially when eating pancakes LOL.

Jenny June 2, 2008 at 1:06 am

What a fun recipe, these look incredible! They look sweet and delicious!

Arundathi June 2, 2008 at 1:30 am

yours looks great! must’ve been amazing with raisins. I couldn’t get golden syrup here, so had to use maple – but wanna try it with golden sometime …

Dee June 2, 2008 at 6:10 am

Your flapjacks look really yummy, Lisa. I can’t wait to see what you’re going to cook up with the rest of that syrup πŸ™‚

Thanks for stopping by.

Catherine Wilkinson June 2, 2008 at 6:04 pm

verrrrrry nice! I’m always looking for different recipes for flappyjacks!!! Nice!

Lisa June 5, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Rosie and Maria for organizing the wonderful bake.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

Dee, I think hubby might be using some of the syrup for barbecue sauce.

Anonymous November 11, 2010 at 1:08 am

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous November 12, 2010 at 7:15 am

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!