Crock Pot Lamb Tacos

by jerseygirl on June 12, 2008 · 9 comments

As a little girl, I remember going to my godmother’s house for parties. She would have tacos and the fixings but the shells would be pita bread. As much as I like the crunchy taco shells, I prefer soft tacos and they taste even better in a pita. Today there are plenty of whole wheat varieties so you also get a health benefit. My favorite pita is from Wegman’s. They are 100% whole wheat, unbelievably fresh and taste like they could be from a Greek or Middle Eastern bakery.

I took out a boneless leg of lamb and thought I’d try a twist on the typical taco. What I made was a cross between a taco and a gyro. I cooked lamb in a crock pot and added some beer, tomatoes and spices. ( It wasn’t any beer. It was Coors Light:) The crock pot turned the lamb into the most tender pieces of meat you could ever imagine. It shredded as nice as beef would. I chopped some cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley to top off the meat. It was easy and fun to eat. The great thing is there are plenty of leftovers now in the freezer. Great for any future heat wave!

Crock pot Lamb Tacos

2 TBS olive oil

3 lbs lean lamb, cut into cubes

1 TBS flour

1 TBS chopped garlic

1 cup chopped tomatoes

1 cup beer

2 tsp chopped rosemary

2 tsp onion powder

1 TBS hot pepper sauce

salt and pepper to taste

pitas

assorted toppings: cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, parsley, feta cheese

Heat oil in a large fry pan. Brown the lamb and sprinkle the flour over it. Add garlic and cook until all the meat is brown. Transfer to a crock pot. Add tomatoes, beer, rosemary, onion powder and hot pepper sauce. Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours. When meat is done, shred with fork and add salt and pepper to taste. Fill pitas with lamb and add your favorite toppings.

Emiline June 13, 2008 at 5:19 am

All right! Coors Light!
This sounds really good to me. All of the flavors…and the pita bread as a shell is a great idea.

Prudy June 13, 2008 at 8:21 am

I think I’d love pita as a taco shell. I’ve been itching to make homemade pita. I used to make pita in the summer time so my dad and I could eat it with the garden tomatoes and mayo.
I miss Wegman’s. I used to live in the Rochester, NY area and I was a serious Wegman’s shopper. They still have my favorite sub in the world. They have everything!!

Clumbsy Cookie June 13, 2008 at 11:11 am

Heat wave here too! Send them my way, without the cucumber please!

Catherine Wilkinson June 13, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Very creative. Very nice. I’m liking lamb more and more these days, and this will add to my pleasure. Great recipe! So easy!

Jeena June 14, 2008 at 5:49 am

I love lamb dishes it is one of my favourite meats. This sounds really tasty. I love pita bread too. 🙂

Jenny June 14, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Yum Lisa,

I don’t use lamb much, but boy would I dig in to these tacos! They look fantastic!

Lisa June 16, 2008 at 12:28 am

Emiline,
Good for drinking and good for cooking!

Prudy,
Home made pitas? YUM!

Stay cool Clumsy Cookie!

Thanks Catherine!

Jeena,
If you like lamb, these are for you:)

Thanks Jenny!

Aggie June 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm

What a great idea! Thanks! My husband (and I) would love these! I am always looking for interesting things to make in the crockpot. Also, I am going to have to look for the Wegman’s, I try to only eat 100% whole wheat and its hard to find good stuff.