Betty To the Rescue

by jerseygirl on May 16, 2008 · 10 comments

It was 10 pm last night and I needed to make one more quick bread for a school function this morning. I had made several breads yesterday and realized I was low on flour and sugar. Darn! It was too late to borrow from a neighbor and I really didn’t feel like driving to the store in my pajamas. Or change to regular clothes, for that matter. I looked in my pantry to find that I had a few Betty Crocker cake mixes. I heard Betty calling out my name so I went on the Betty Crocker website to see what I could find.

Well, wouldn’t you know! There was an apple cake recipe that used Betty Crocker spice cake mix and a can of apple pie filling. Both were sitting right on my top shelf. I did a little streamlining from the original recipe and came up with a moist apple loaf cake that only used three ingredients. It took me about four minutes flat to whip the cake together. While Betty was baking, I was watching an old rerun of King and Queens. Could the night get any better? Maybe if she stopped by to wash my mixer and pan. The cake was sweet, moist and flavorful. It received many complements. Next time, I might even add some nuts. Thanks Betty. You saved the day!

1 box spice cake mix (18.25 oz)
1 can apple pie filling (21 oz)
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 degrees for dark pans). Grease or spray an 8 x 5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, apple pie filling and eggs together with an electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into slices.

Patsyk May 16, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Don’t you love when things come together so easily in a pinch? I should probably pick up some of those mixes for times like that instead of running to the store right before sending the kids to school in the morning!

Prudy May 17, 2008 at 10:39 am

I’ve made this cake before! It is actually suprisingly good. I would put in half the batter and then a cinnamon sugar sprinkling, plus more cinnamon sugar on top and then serve it with whipped cream. It’s a great recipe in a pinch. I’m glad you kept your jammies on-you made the right choice!

Heather May 17, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Nothing wrong with cheating once in awhile! Uncanny that you already had those things in your pantry! And it sounds great, too. 🙂

Jenny May 17, 2008 at 11:40 pm

How nice that you had everything on hand! The cake looks great, I love quick and easy, especially in a pinch!

Lori May 18, 2008 at 6:20 pm

This sounds really good, I love apple pie filling! 🙂

Prudy May 19, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Lisa:
I’ve got an award for you on my blog today.

EAT! May 19, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I have been making way too many quick breads lately – pumpkin, zucchini, applesauce. Old Betty’s recipe looks pretty good to me.

Veronica May 20, 2008 at 9:17 am

You’ve gotta love Betty!! She is always at the ready when you’re in a pinch! I always have the cookie mixes around-my daughter loves baking with them, too.

Lisa May 22, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Patsy,
Pick some up. You won’t regret it.

Prudy,
It sounds good your way, too. Thanks for the award!

Veronica, Eat,Heather,Lori,Jenny,
Yes, Betty is there when we need her!